IGNORED

Just for fun...

Wrathchild

yes atarimania and fandal are the same.

Great - that was me too ;)

Actually I felt I really should fix the keyboard problem, so I just have :)

And, as in the meantime I'd brought the sources on a little bit since that demo was produced...

Here's an XEGS ROM image of the same thing :D

(OK, so no really progress except I control where things are layed out in memory)

Actually I think it now means the game could run in 32K RAM, but I may need to confirm that.

Can someone tell me why in all the huge space of the Internet is no rendition of "the blue danube" in MOD format available. Or , at least, a clean 3 channel SID to MOD converted track ...

When analyzing how the tunes were coded in the C64 game my feeling was that it odd in that the note frequencies didn't really tally to the standard charts you'd find (bit like Pantera!). Details can be found in Post #170 on another thread.

and if it will really come alive... there must be room to do at least double buffering... should be not a big deal on A8 and a custom VBL?

On another old-old thread this was touched upon (Post #28). I'd still want to get the C64 port working 'as-is' first, then add the buffering.

Finally, for giggles (and completness), look here for Elite related talk.

(now I seriously must get back to reviewing my wife's University assignment!!!)

elite_xegs.zip

Good evening!

Replacement keyboard routine, to the most part, has been worked out and a few remaps have been made so that I can get more parts running on my PC under emulation.

Some oddities I'll need to look into later on, for example, on the 'Press space or fire, commander.' view, a keypress stops the animation but the next screen doesn't draw. To get around that, just:

+ Press one of the number keys '4' to '9' to see a view.

+ Galactic Chart ('4') and Short Range Chart ('5') can both use cursor keys (on my PC at least) to move the crosshair.

+ 'D' - selects and gives distance to the planet closest to the crosshair.

+ 'O' - set the crosshair back to your 'origin', i.e. current planet.

- 'F' - Find Planet doesn't work.

+ with another planet select get the 'Data On' using '6'.

+ docked planet 'Market Prices' can be seen with '7'.

+ Commander status is shown using '8'.

+ your Inventory can be accessed with '9'.

- 'Launch' ('0') doesn't do anything... reason being is that BBC version loads an overlay of code for this part of the game.

- This means I'm still to disassemble that :(

+ 'Buy Cargo' items ('1'), 'Sell Cargo' items ('2') and 'Equip Ship' ('3') can also be accessed. Not sure if they work correctly yet though.

- The file menu accessed by pressing 'Y' on the title screen seems to do no harm.

Enjoy,

Mark

elitebbc2.zip

Edited by Wrathchild

Can someone tell me why in all the huge space of the Internet is no rendition of "the blue danube" in MOD format available. Or , at least, a clean 3 channel SID to MOD converted track ...

When analyzing how the tunes were coded in the C64 game my feeling was that it odd in that the note frequencies didn't really tally to the standard charts you'd find (bit like Pantera!). Details can be found in Post #170 on another thread.

Depending on a MIDI file I am trying to put into RMT, I realized that the "simple" melody is using more than 7 octaves. So we can forget to have it for 4ch. We also can forget to do some sawtooth there.

Using "hardsynth" means to switch between 15 and 64kHz, and gen 2 at 1.79MHz and/or sawtooth could be used for the attending voice(s).

The crazy stuff is to put the notes across all channels, to take advantage of the different clockings and to reach all needed octaves. This would result in an "almost" 4ch tune.

Thanks for confirming that :)

Only a small update (actually made last Friday).

I spotted a mistake in the Digrams table used to build the planet names, so this fixes that (see attached screenshots).

I also took the opportunity to see what white on black looks like.

At the weekend I got the required files I needed so I'm progressing with incorporating the 'flying' code. Not sure if I'll get enough ready by the end of this week for a 'progress' release though.

Best wishes,

Mark

post-1822-12524343424_thumb.gif

post-1822-125243434784_thumb.gif

elitebbc4.zip

What a project, wishing you all the best with this one!

There are some pretty well optimised versions of 6502 based coded examples of Elite you should really try to look at though instead of the standard BBC B version.

For example if you make it a 130XE only game maybe you can use the faster BBC Master (128k) versions of the code. Or you could try using a non split screen version like the C128 or C64 code which is already optimised due to a slower CPU. There is even a hacked version of the standard 32K BBC B version with the code disassembled and reassembled for added efficiency.

Ian Bell's Elite webpage

The BBC had a high resolution of 640x256 for those wondering, not bad for a 1980/81 machine considering 320x256/200 was the norm for 'hi-res'

How do you run this on a real machine? I've tried running it from Mydos and 2.0S - no luck. Mydos just stops loading and Dos 2.0S gives error 164. I I think running from the PC mirror via ape was the same as Mydos.

I guess I'm not familiar with an xex file - what is it?

I guess I'm not familiar with an xex file - what is it?

This is simply an Atari binary executable, what you'd normally see as COM or EXE on a DOS listing.

The problem you're seeing is due to this binary having parts that will load over the DOS you are running.

Try this ATR instead.

Ahhh yes, working now - thx. I'm using a 1200xl with an 800xl os.

Shutting down Eve Online so I can check this out :)

Eric

This site provides decent MIDI version of exactly what you mentioned. :)

Wrathchild: Great job! :thumbsup:

Just got this running on an Atari 800 (not xl). Amazing to see a computer from 1981 running Elite from a BBC..just cannot wait to hit the lunch key :-)

question though..weren't the BBC joysticks analog?

This site provides decent MIDI version of exactly what you mentioned. :)

Wrathchild: Great job! :thumbsup:

Just got this running on an Atari 800 (not xl). Amazing to see a computer from 1981 running Elite from a BBC..just cannot wait to hit the lunch key :-)

question though..weren't the BBC joysticks analog?

Also if elite can be done on the atari maybe Aviator from Acornsoft could be next :-)

OK, so not such an exciting release as I'd like, but not so bad ;)

When hitting '0' for launch there is a little delay whilst the code decompresses but then the launch effect is shown and you're then in space facing the planet Lave!

Sadly your lasers are 'locked' on full blast and so overheat quite quickly causing you to explode... tough break!

After the quaint 'Game Over' screen you'll need to reboot to see it all again. :roll:

an question though..weren't the BBC joysticks analog?

Yes, this gives two speeds from what I see, effectively a -2,-1,0,1,2 span across the X/Y axis. I'll need the check what the C64 did about this... 5200 version anyone?

Also if elite can be done on the atari maybe Aviator from Acornsoft could be next :-)

It could be possible being a simple mono game (not that there is much 'simple' in Geoff Crammond code).

But I'll either be back to the C64 port of Elite or continue with Ataxx next.

Best wishes,

Mark

elitebbc5atr.zip

Edited by Wrathchild

... 5200 version anyone?

Yes please.

I have a suspicion that the working RAM required for the screen and game data should squeeze into < 16K, but I'll reserve the right to confirm that in the future. Obviously it would take some shuffling around of the code & data in memory but CA65/LD65 make that simpler, plus I've done the basis of the cart modelling in the C64 port - so a 5200 version isn't out of the question - although would the number of keys on the controller cover things? (I imagine 5200 owning Elite fans have contemplated that in past ;))

• 2 weeks later...

A small but useful update this week.

I've moved the code into an AtariMax flash-cart image which simply puts the existing routines in the right place as is starts.

This now handles the overlays for the space station / flight code without the need for compression.

So the same trouble of blowing up soon after launching still happens, but at least your launch is more instant ;).

I hope to get to the bottom of the short-lived flight next week, but after going back to the BBC version I've realized I missed porting the loading page and so I may sneak that in for the next installment.

Regards,

Mark

EliteBBC_v6_AtariMax_FlashRom.zip

• 1 month later...

Slow :(. Last week I was hampered by flu but I have managed to integrate a G2F screen and an RMT tune :)

The tune is one Kjmann had a go at for me quite a while ago now (and is on this site too). The g2f screen I'd battled through from scratch the week before last (having tried and aborted a few times before) but required some welcome help from Tezz to fix up a couple of issues for me - thanks Kjmann & Tezz!

OK... so this doesn't go with the BBC port and I'll lift it over to the C64 port at some point...

Enjoy,

Mark

EliteBBC_v7_AtariMax_FlashRom.zip

• 4 months later...

OK, its been a long time since a progress update.

Due to a few recent breakthroughs I'm happy to show where I'm at currently.

Still many things to fix, but it is semi-playable. :)

Basic keys are as found in in the BBC version:

'S'-up 'X'-down ',/.'-roll left/right

'space'-increase speed '/'-decrease speed

'H'-hyperdrive

'P'-Pause ('delete'-unpause when paused)

However the F0-F9 keys I've remapped to 1,2..9,0

Quick Start

1) space bar 3 times (title screen, y/n screen, space or fire screen)

2) Use key '1' (was F0) then to launch.

Need to dash to do the school run. Any questions I can answer them later.

Regards,

Mark

EliteBBC_v8_AtariMax_FlashRom.zip

• Like 1