IGNORED

Project One level 1 out now!

promethea

Thanks for the release. I will check it out this evening.

However...

I don't understand some of the comments you made on the site:

This has taken us three months to produce - there will be no more. The project is CANCELLED. The FUD campaign produced by Jaguar Sector II members against anything new or innovative for the Jaguar system has won out yet again, and none of us can be bothered any more. Please, continue to enjoy playing 8bit ports of other people's IP property whilst berating developers who are actually doing something new. The Jaguar community deserves the stagnation that it supports. We will NOT tolerate being blamed and harrased for the dumping and distribultion of currently supported commercial titles. This is clearly being done by the same Russian website owner who has been doing the same thing for ages and has NOTHING to do with us.

As far as I can recall, the majority of Jag fans wanted to see releases from both 'camps'. Gorf, your main rival in this competition, has fully acknowledged that he's done with Jaguar and is withdrawing from the Jaguar scene - yet now your team announces that it will also quit the scene.

Sounds like the two opposed camps have more in common than they like to admit.

• Like 1

So why the need for the fake accounts? You posted with your original accounts in threads supporting your other fake aliases and acting like they were different people?

Why the need to lie to the community like that? It really makes all the trouble you guys started with Gorf and others look very planned.

Like the lies surrounding the withdrawl of Mad Bodies you mean? And the accusations against us from them?

Lies? Which lies are they...more that you made up?

• Like 1

Actually I was referring to the deception from you guys from the beginning. Don't try to change the point.

Your two accounts (Mr. Morden and CyranoJ) posted messages in the same threads acting like you were two different people. This was in the beginning. Before any other stuff went down.

I just don't understand why the need to come into the scene with the fake accounts when you already had accounts established. The only logical thing is you wanted to stir up trouble and wanted to distance yourself from your original accounts.

So no matter what you want to say about Gorf he was right that you guys were members of dbug. You tried to disguise that fact.

I try to stay out of the battles and drama that go on around as much as I can, but it is very disappointing the deception you guys entered the scene with.

So my question is again. Why the need for deception?

Like the lies surrounding the withdrawl of Mad Bodies you mean? And the accusations against us from them?

WTF!?

I've been playing this game all day, and I must say I'm impressed! I like these types of shooters, and it's very nice all the way around... sharp graphics, good rockin' music, fun text screens (I like the Amiga/ST era bouncy graphics and scrollers... takes me back) and decently balanced gameplay. (I appreciate a game with skill level settings, especially having an "easy" mode.) The pause mode game is very unique. I still can't quite figure out what I'm supposed to do after I "get the food" (I know it has something to do with the cycle, but it eludes me) but I'll keep at it.

I'm really disappointed to hear how everything's degraded so much, and that we won't be getting any more installments or any more games from two good Jaguar developers. Don't know who's fault... don't care, really. (I purposely didn't read most of it... I come here to get Atari info, not read angry posts.) All I know is, after seeing this game, I want more from this company.

Sigh. Anyway, Project One is a lot of fun! Thanks for creating and releasing it.

Cheers,

Smeg

• Like 5

::...raises hand meekly...::

Sorry to interrupt the discussion...but....could you provide a .nrg image I could burn to CD using Alcohol 120%? I have no clue how to move files around on the Jaguar programming tools and I don't have a Skunkboard. Based on playing this in the Tempest emulator, I think it would be fun to try it on the Jaguar.

If this is a totally inappropriate request please dismiss it immediately and forget I exist.

Sorry Tom, it won't run from CD-ROM as all the music and sampled effects are held in the ROM address space.

As for the pause mode.

1) Shoot the invader, this will put food in the snake pit.

2) Grow the snake to a length of 25 and a bonus will appear in the cycles maze.

3) grab the bonus there and it'll randomly grant you something in the main game (life, gun, shield, sideshot, smartbomb, laser)

4) do nothing (ie, PAUSE) and it'll eat away at your shield :)

Hope that helps!

I just checked out some videos of the game and it looks real nice!

Will this run on BJL?

Thanks, Chris

Unfortunatly not. As said above, all the digital audio is held in ROM - something the BJL can't upload into. We can make a build that will run without audio, but it's really not much fun :)

I just spent about 25 minutes checking out the 'Project One' demo on my Skunkboard.

The gameplay itself seems pretty decent if you enjoy vertical shooters. The artwork looks good. For the most part the enemy spaceships and such look great. I think the various background tunes stand out as being very good.

If I had to mention some negatives, I find the directional control for the player's ship to be a bit floaty or laggy. I would like to sit a bit tighter response when making sudden changes in direction.

I thought the opening cartoon was in poor taste. Just let it go, y'know?

It would be great to see this effort continue, but due to various factors I am guessing that will not happen. That's too bad that; it would have been nice to see more programming and fewer politics involved in the release of this demo.

• Like 2

As for the pause mode.

1) Shoot the invader, this will put food in the snake pit.

2) Grow the snake to a length of 25 and a bonus will appear in the cycles maze.

3) grab the bonus there and it'll randomly grant you something in the main game (life, gun, shield, sideshot, smartbomb, laser)

4) do nothing (ie, PAUSE) and it'll eat away at your shield :)

Hope that helps!

You crazy guys :D

• Like 1

Thank you guys for your hard work.

I have now a new reason to use my Skunkboard ;)

I hope you will take a good break, think about it, and come back later. The Jag scene is not what you saw (a few loud speaking people), it's made of real people who are willing to work together. Most of them don't even care to read these "hot topics".

And the most important thing is, I think, all the positive comments you got on various boards showed that people appreciate your work :)

• Like 1

First off, thanks for the positive comments, I think you were quite generous there, cheers. 505 is a good friend and a real master of mod music - we were very pleased he said we could have his music that was once destined for a different Jaguar game.

If I had to mention some negatives, I find the directional control for the player's ship to be a bit floaty or laggy. I would like to sit a bit tighter response when making sudden changes in direction.

I agree the controls are not perfect but I find the opposite - I wanted some inertia when changing direction. Guess you can only make the game you want to play & hope other people go with it. The code will be released one day no doubt so you can have a look at changing it if you think it's worth it. I find it's really hard to line up those horrible little V shaped baddies that come down in lines because the controls are _too_ responsive... the ship moves too many pixels at once for me ;)

The pic at the start - it's an in-joke for any real ST fans watching as much as anything, a parody of a very famous pic from a demo... think soft, cuddly friends with nice pictures on their tummies from the 80s ;)

Finally managed to play on real thing. :love:

This is beautiful, this is hard, this is very playable and I suck at shoot'm up, but I will manage to kill that mid-boss :x

And most of all, my son forgot his DS for a while just to play P1, but finally found it way too hard, even in easy mode.

Seems like my skunkboard has now find 2 great games, one bank for DTS, one for P1 :D

• Like 1

I'm glad folks are finally getting a chance to spend some time with P1. I had a lot of fun playtesting the game during its development, and it really was astonishing to see the very rapid progression of the engine, assets and mechanics over such a small period of time. I was amazed at how quickly the Jags RISC power was put to good use, and how the art just kept getting better and better. :) It's really something to see the genesis and progress of a project like this, and to see all the little bits as they come in add to the game as a whole.

Now folks can see what I mean when I say video doesn't do it justice, you need to see it on real hardware and experience the incredible smoothness and speed of it all. :cool:

A big thanks to the Reboot gang for putting something like this together in an amazingly short time, getting it out to the community, and letting me playtest and listening to my feedback (i.e. complaints!). It's a testament to P1 that I never got tired of playing it during testing. :)

• Like 1

Tried this on Project Tempest and in MESS (current svn) and it looks - and sounds - really good.

Congratulations on the effort that was put in.

MESS is missing some of the graphical effects, but it is playable, which is the important thing.

Would be better if I had a real Jaguar, but I've never seen one, don't know if they were even sold in this country.

• Like 1