IGNORED

NEED: Atari 2600 On/Off slide switch.

church

• 4 weeks later...
Have you tried fixin your old switch. I have found in the past that if you take the switch apart  and bend out the springs and put it back togother that usually fixes the problem. Hope this helps, I will also look through my spare parts and see if I can find one for you.

I'll try this but I don't know how well it will work since the on/off switch makes a grinding sound whenever I have to move it. It's also much more discoloured than any of the other switches. So if you think it's fixible then ill pull it out and see what I can do. Hopefully I won't make it worse and unplayable.

Well I took the switch out and tried to fix it but it's no better now than it was before. It was worth a shot though.

I could probably take apart my broken Vader and get the on/off switch out of it.

Well I'll wait and see if anyone has one actually sitting around before any atari get cannibalized. Though if it is completly 100% dead and no one has a spare switch lying around and if you're going to use it for parts anyways then I would love to get my hands on a switch and a foam guard.

• 3 weeks later...

Church this may seem a bit too radical. But until you find a spare switch or find someone willing to sell or trade or give you one of their own, why don't you just swap out the power switch with the BW/COLOR switch? They are the exact same switch types and with a minimal amount of soldering skillz you can swap them out easily enough. Afterall how many games require the actual BW/COLOR SWITCH besides a select few? And do you always play your games in BW? Or just in Color? You should be able to swap out the switches and then short the contacts on the other switch to be always in the up posisition for color. That would at least get you by until another switch was found.

Just a thought, but I take no responsibility if your fry yourself or your Atari in the process. Sorry to say that...but I do have to provide a means of CYA for myself as well, I'm sure you understand. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Best electronics will sell you a new switch board, but I've got a few switches here from my broken sixer... I'll send ya one for shipping costs. PM me... Let me know if you need the little rubber dealey too,

Ugh, I should have checked this thread before I bought a broken atari on ebay. Oh well, alls well that ends well. Atari is fixed and in perfect working order. Though getting the switch out of the 4 switch was nothing short of a nightmare.

It seems that the 4 switch has a small fabric like seal where the solder is that keeps the solder from melting on both sides even with a 25 watt soldering iron. I spent well over 45 minutes trying to desolder the damn thing before i took a pair of pliers and cut the switch out from the board. Never have I felt better about destroying something so beautiful *grin*.