IGNORED

What The Jag Community REALLY Needs

Sayton

I can confirm that none of the Jagware members went to a JFUK, it was RGC members.

And I can also confirm this JagCF story is 100 % false ;)

People who came at our events saw the prototype from the begining.

It is the most complex Jaguar project ever started, so it's taking time.

You are all connected, easy mistake to make :ponder:

I think the last thing the already complex Jaguar needs is something more complex :P

Easy mistake to make, I agree with you. But I clarified the situation many times on JSII before leaving the board... Oh well, one more time ;)

About complex things : don't remember complex things can make other things much easier ;)

Now I am really lost but apologise anyway :? :? :?

That's probably how most of us were regarding your apparent joke, and so we assumed the more likely interpretation that Al pointed out above. Given the situation, it likely felt like what was intended even if you meant something else.

Out of curiousity, how exactly was it british humour?

Edited by Mord
  • Like 7

I fail to see how but ok :?

I guess British humour dosn't always translate too well to foreigners :ponder:

Now I am really lost but apologise anyway :? :? :?

The problem is not us foreigners(I'm an American), we understand very well that you are "playing dumb" here(like we are stupid-NOT!), it's totally obvious. :roll: This is what the Jaggers definitely don't need is more troublemakers and fighting.

I think next weekend will prove that the only disease present in the Jag community is alcohol poisoning :D

Drinking just for a change . . .

Lynxgod(JS2), yeah I see you like to drink but maybe you should try laying off the alcohol, so that you aren't so bloody abrasive all the time.(which I have noticed that you are) I'm tired of all the fighting and I don't like drama.

Let...it...go

Edited by ovalbugmann
  • Like 6

This is what the Jaggers definitely don't need is more troublemakers and fighting.

:) Hey, Carmel - I was positive that "Jaggers" in the context of my sentence, which relates to the title of this thread, in the Jaguar forum would be interperated as: Jaguar fans.

I only used it because, for some reason it sounded British to me :P, idk, and I was talking to a Brit chap. -Must of been subconsciously thinking of the Stones.

Ahh yes, Jaggies is a better term for us Jag blokes. :)

Edited by ovalbugmann

Back on track....Where are the games.....we need more games....lets get game hacky

Possible games

Star Raiders

Pacman (or the whole pacman collection, i.e original, Ms, pacland, Pacmania, and Jr)

Joust

A decent driving game like test drive, pole position or outrun/sega rally or daytona

A hack of AvP as a decent FPS (Quake/doom like)

A sequal to Cybermorph (which were'nt a bad game)

Something like either block out or some hack of tetris

A jaggie implimentation on the Bust A move series of games

A good shoot em up (or shmups to you people)...something like a metamorphosed Xenon/Xenon 2 or armalyte/Katakis or R-type

Regarding the shoot 'em ups, i understand that although Sea Plane has been cancelled (is this right?) I hope that you mean that Project Apocalypse is STILL in development?

Don't know about the current status of Project Apocalypse. It has not been cancelled. The first version (a vertical shmup) has been cancelled (or delayed ?) because they wanted to switch on an horizontal shmup (RType, Native...). But as some assets still exist for the vertical shooter, maybe someone will come and make something will this. Who knows ?

But in fact, I was referring to several other rumors, nothing I have been confirmed to be true or wrong, but my opinion is that there will fortunately allways be someone to code shmup :D

I also wish you well with S.P.A.C.E. We have perhaps, with Starcat... put ourselves into the most long-term and challenging of projects. :)

Thanks for the kind words. But I think I choosed an easiest way (this is far less complex than RPG, believe me :D), maybe because I am very familiar with modern boardgames, so I knew pretty well what I wanted to do, and I already had maybe 75% of graphics assets. Btw, S.P.A.C.E. is just a try, if I feel happy with this, I may consider starting what was intended to be my first Jaguar game and is a bit more ambitious, but apart the idea, and concept, there is nothing started yet, and graphics part may require lots of work, so this is a long term idea...

Back on track....Where are the games.....we need more games....lets get game hacky

Possible games

Star Raiders

Isn't that what BattleSphere is based off?

Pacman (or the whole pacman collection, i.e original, Ms, pacland, Pacmania, and Jr)

There's already a version of JagMania, although I'm not sure how many levels it actually has.

Joust

Starcat started to write a version of Joust a few years back, but then dropped it. I think he lost the source in a hard drive crash.

A sequal to Cybermorph (which were'nt a bad game)

Uh... Battlemorph?

Something like either block out or some hack of tetris

There's a columns clone I believe, and a breakout clone, and a samegame clone, also Breakout2000. None are exactly tetris clones, but there are MANY block-based games out there.

@Ovalbugman

For your information I actually hardly drink nowadays because of work, its just a running joke but I guess I have to lay off the humour over here :roll:

@Carmel_andrews

Cybermorph - As Tyrant said see Battlemorph for the Jag CD

Joust - Starcats version is on his lost treasures collection (although not complete IIRC) of course we can always pray that Dactyl Joust turns up :lust:

Tetris - See Jagtris for the Jag CD

Pacman - Subqmod over at JS2 has been porting Ms. Pacman will be at JFUK and as Tyrant said there is also Jagmania although Mathais still hasn't officially releleased for whatever reson (its a fine game)

Star Raiders - Space War 2000 was originally called Star Raiders 2000, Atari changed the name and the game slightly because of Battlesphere.

Please stop fighting people. It it keeps up I'll ask to have this closed as well. Sheesh!

ANYWAYS, BACK ON TOPIC...

If I knew coding, I'd try my hand at making a game. I've got a LITTLE C++ background, but that's it.

I've had a few ideas for games before, but again, due to little knowledge of programming no can do. Also, as much fun as it'd be to make the game...how much fun would it be to play it? There's a good question...

If you make a game, do you enjoy it alot when you play it? I'm curious as to you'd know everything (or depending on your status in a group, most of everything) about the game, so there wouldn't be many secrets. I know it'd be cool seeing your project come to life, but still...just curious.

If you make a game, do you enjoy it alot when you play it? I'm curious as to you'd know everything (or depending on your status in a group, most of everything) about the game, so there wouldn't be many secrets. I know it'd be cool seeing your project come to life, but still...just curious.

Interesting question, and for me I don't real play the games I have made. For the most part, after working on a title for so long, I really don't play it once it ships (unless some friends are over and they wish to play). I also find I am too critical with my work, and am more focused on finding the problems/issue, than really enjoying sitting back and playing the game.

Now this is professional development, and I know your question was aimed at people in groups, so it might be a bit different.

--Selgus

First off... fun, fun topic, guys! Anytime the title of a topic is something like, "What the community needs" there will be fighting. This topic started off all tame, but ya didn't disappoint! (That's sarcasm, BTW.) But I did want to weigh in, before it gets locked. In fact, maybe Albert should set up a title blocker, so if anyone tries to name a topic with the words "what community needs" it gets automatically locked. :D

Interesting question, and for me I don't real play the games I have made. For the most part, after working on a title for so long, I really don't play it once it ships (unless some friends are over and they wish to play). I also find I am too critical with my work, and am more focused on finding the problems/issue, than really enjoying sitting back and playing the game.

Now this is professional development, and I know your question was aimed at people in groups, so it might be a bit different.

--Selgus

I'm not a programmer, but as a fiction writer, I can relate to what you say. I like most of what I've written, but I find it tough to read the final version, in a book or magazine. I always find fault... that comma shouldn't be there, etc. I can't even bring myself to read the novella I wrote back in the mid 80s. After all I've learned, it's gotta be ghastly. I can see that being a problem programmers might have. Playing something they made years ago, and thinking how much better it would've been if they knew then what they know now.

As for the JagCF, I don't know much about it. I already have the Skunkboard, but I'm assuming the CF is a hardware add-on as well, so it must enhance the Jag's capabilities.(When it gets closer to release, I'm sure I'll hear all about it's functions.) But really, I can't see why people would openly complain about anyone who is trying to bring something positive to our beloved system. I'm sure I've missed out on all the arguments. (Despite my opening statement, whenever a topic turns to namecalling and arguing, I generally stop reading it.) Not meant to insult anyone, I just don't get it. I'm always happy when something new comes to the Jaguar or the Lynx. If it's a game or device I don't need... well, I'd buy it anyway, being a collector of both systems. But I wouldn't be mean to them. Man, this is a weird community. Do the other old game systems have this same problem? Are the Neo-Geo or the Saturn people yelling at each other, I wonder?

Anyhoo, have a nice day. Carry on! ;)

Cheers,

Smeg

Head over to the Sega-16 forums and check out the Beggar Prince, Legend of Wukong, and Pier Solar threads. From what is said in some of the posts you'd swear some of these people don't want to see new releases. The way they squabble over such petty gabage it's no wonder developers quit and don't finish many of their projects.

I really enjoy new games on old systems. That's one of the main reasons I love the Dreamcast so much, which has at least 3 commercial releases this year(Last Hope:PB, Rush Rally Racing, & Irides). The Dreamcast forums are alot like the 2600 ones, very supportive and friendly. That is probably why they have such an active homebrew scene.