IGNORED

SIO2PC/ProSystem with only one SIO cable - external power supply?

tearex

Hello y'all,

I asked the following already on the Atarimax Product forum, but there seems to be very little traffic there, so I'll ask here too. I tried the search function but didn't really find anything good... so please bear with me if this has already been answered.

----------------------------------------

Ok, how do I use ProSystem with

1.) SIO2PC Serial version (just bought) from Atarimax - version with SIO connector

2.) only one SIO cable available

From what I read, I need to feed some external power into the SIO2PC module... but I didn't find an exact explanation of what has to be done. One thing is for sure, I don't want to modify my existing Happy 1050 drive and/or SIO cable.

So....

0.) Any source of SIO cables other than eBay? I guess not...

1.) What voltage do I need?

2.) Where do I feed it into the SIO2PC PCB, possibly without doing any irreversible damage to it?

3.) Do I need to add any more components to the PCB?

4.) Can I use the +5V from a PC Game Port? From the Atari's Joystick Port? From an USB port? Any precautions to take in either case?

5.) If not, what kind (volts/amps/DC or AC) of external PSU do I need, and how do I connect it?

6.) What about the serial DTR line, many devices use that one as well as a power supply (pretty much all serial mice, for one thing). Is that possible with the ProSystem software? How would I modify the SIO2PC in this case?

I'd love to get comprehensive answers, but even if you can only help out with one or two of the questions, please do so. Thanks in advance!

You just need 5V, at not very much amperage.

For a self-made interface, that just means taking GND and +5V from SIO and feeding it to the 1489 IC.

Atarimax APE also has the GAL, I'd assume it's used to drive the indicator LEDs. Personally, I'd probably get one of those PCI brackets that lets you feed PC power to the outside world and just take the GND/5V from there. You could also make something up yourself easily enough.

Then just solder on a plug for the power to the relevant pins on the SIO jack on your APE. Pin 12 is for +5V, pins 6 and 8 are GND.

PC gameport power? I suppose that's also a valid option, although modern systems seem to have dropped gameports, despite many still retaining one or both RS-232 ports.

Edited by Rybags

For a self-made interface, that just means taking GND and +5V from SIO and feeding it to the 1489 IC.

Atarimax APE also has the GAL, I'd assume it's used to drive the indicator LEDs. Personally, I'd probably get one of those PCI brackets that lets you feed PC power to the outside world and just take the GND/5V from there. You could also make something up yourself easily enough.

Then just solder on a plug for the power to the relevant pins on the SIO jack on your APE. Pin 12 is for +5V, pins 6 and 8 are GND.

PC gameport power? I suppose that's also a valid option, although modern systems seem to have dropped gameports, despite many still retaining one or both RS-232 ports.

Erm, I use an AtariMax SIO2PC Serial with an SIO cable in one end plugged into my 800XL and a serial cable in the other end plugged into the PC. I've never had to add extra power from anywhere. It works fine.

Thanks. Well I still have a gameport on mine (on a Soundcard). But probably a PCI adapter is more "future proof".

I think the GAL does more than drive the LEDs. It will also switch between SIO2PC and ProSystem mode, and allow you to have the Atari Command line appear on several different status lines.

On the Atarimax Forum, Steven Hirsch (he's not the Steven who runs the site IIRC) said that it would be better to install a voltage regulator and use a 9V wall wart. I'm not really convinced what is the better solution...

Erm, I use an AtariMax SIO2PC Serial with an SIO cable in one end plugged into my 800XL and a serial cable in the other end plugged into the PC. I've never had to add extra power from anywhere. It works fine.

What I want to do is archive some real Atari disks to images and vice versa. And I don't have any other Atari 8-bit hardware other than a 130XE and a 1050 drive. So the Atari drive needs to be in the picture somehow. And as I said I have only one cable.

Easiest thing to do is pick up another SIO cable. Hook the 130 to the 1050 to the SIO device to the PC (via serial cable). ProSystem will work fine that way. It's better to get the extra SIO cable than to worry about externally hooking up a 5v power supply.

0.) Any source of SIO cables other than eBay? I guess not...

Atari retailers also sell them, such as:

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/

http://www.myatari.com/

Easiest thing to do is pick up another SIO cable. Hook the 130 to the 1050 to the SIO device to the PC (via serial cable).

Yes, this is by far the easiest way.

IIRC, Atarimax also sells SIO cables.

Yeah, but shipping from the US to Germany usually takes about two or three weeks in my experience... and I'm a bit of an impatient person ;-)

I think I'll just try the PC gameport. I've used it for other interfaces before, such as powering a Commodore Datasette off it. (you may stone me now)

Thanks to all who answered!

There is a layout on the PCB for a 7805 voltage regulator.

With the regulator installed you can attach an external unregulated DC power supply to the external power terminals under the SIO connector. They are listed in the documentation for the terminal blocks version.

If you have a USB port anywhere on the system you can get 5v+ and ground from that connector.

Steve