IGNORED

Wii price drops to $200

Bilnick

They must be feeling the bite of the 360 and the PS3 price drops.

I agree. Even at $200 the other two systems are by far better choices as a primary game system. The Wii is really best suited as a secondary system IMHO. It's really no contest when you can get an Xbox 360 with its superior game lineup for the same price as a Wii and the handful of great games it has.

• Like 1

It's really no contest when you can get an Xbox 360 with its superior game lineup for the same price as a Wii and the handful of great games it has.

Hm... with all the recent price drops I actually just checked the 360's lineup and it did nowhere look superior, or what am I missing?

If I'd buy a secondary HD console at all, then probably a Slim, at least it has 1-2 RPGs, the prospect of FF XXIII, a few gems like Folklore, inFAMOUS and the sigma versions of the Ninja Gaiden series.

Add in RE5, BioShock, GTA IV, Fallout 3 and a few other games, then I count roughly a dozen PS3 games that I'm interested in.

That's nothing compared to the 30 Wii games I already own - and I still have a dozen games on my wanted list for the Wii as well.

I agree. Even at $200 the other two systems are by far better choices as a primary game system. The Wii is really best suited as a secondary system IMHO. It's really no contest when you can get an Xbox 360 with its superior game lineup for the same price as a Wii and the handful of great games it has.

Could not disagree more. Wii as a primary and greater market reach vs 360 with a built in high failure (flame on). For Parents,grandparents and just the general public, Wii will again be the choice at Christmas. 360 and ps3 for that matter are mostly niche systems splitting up the other 50% of the market for consoles. I suppose that is why often people have Wii and ps3 or Wii and 360 but notice Wii is there in both...

Edited by atarian63

If you have the time and disposable income to buy more than 2 videogames / month and (this would seem to follow almost inevitably) you prefer "hardcore" games, then probably a 360 or a PS3 is better than a Wii.

If you don't buy that many games and are more eclectic in your tastes, then you'll do just fine with a Wii.

If you only have a Wii, you could have played, in 2009 (Wii exclusives asterisked):

*Metroid Prime Trilogy

Guitar Hero 5

The Beatles: Rock Band

*Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

*Punch-Out!!

*Boom Blox Bash Party

*Little King's Story

*Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

*Wii Sports Resort

*Madworld

Dawn of Discovery

*Rune Factory Frontier

*Muramasa: The Demon Blade

Klonoa

*The House of the Dead: Overkill

*Excitebots: Trick Racing

*Grand Slam Tennis

*Contra ReBirth

*Bit.Trip Core

*Bit.Trip Beat

*NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits

*Swords and Soldiers

Ghostbusters The Video Game

*Marble Saga: Kororinpa

*Deadly Creatures

*LIT

*The Conduit

I dunno, that seems like enough gaming to me. :P

It's really no contest when you can get an Xbox 360 with its superior game lineup for the same price as a Wii and the handful of great games it has.

Hm... with all the recent price drops I actually just checked the 360's lineup and it did nowhere look superior, or what am I missing?

If I'd buy a secondary HD console at all, then probably a Slim, at least it has 1-2 RPGs, the prospect of FF XXIII, a few gems like Folklore, inFAMOUS and the sigma versions of the Ninja Gaiden series.

Add in RE5, BioShock, GTA IV, Fallout 3 and a few other games, then I count roughly a dozen PS3 games that I'm interested in.

That's nothing compared to the 30 Wii games I already own - and I still have a dozen games on my wanted list for the Wii as well.

I must be strange then. I have a good 30+ games for the 360 and about 7 for the Wii. The Wii is great for the games that are really good: Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Tiger Woods 10...but as far as RPGs, shooters, etc, the list is not even close.

However, it will do really well because of the reasons that everyone has stated before. Casual gamers like it, etc.

I'm sure that I'd always choose the PS3 or 360 over the Wii on a regular basis though. Like I said, could be just me :)

Could not disagree more. Wii as a primary and greater market reach vs 360 with a built in high failure (flame on). For Parents,grandparents and just the general public, Wii will again be the choice at Christmas. 360 and ps3 for that matter are mostly niche systems splitting up the other 50% of the market for consoles. I suppose that is why often people have Wii and ps3 or Wii and 360 but notice Wii is there in both...

I agree it will be really successful at this price point. It will outsell the 360 and PS3 again this season. However, there isn't any good reason to drop the price unless you want to compete on price with the other 2 systems. Otherwise, if you think you can sell a bunch of systems based on game library, you keep the price at $250.

I must be strange then. I have a good 30+ games for the 360 and about 7 for the Wii.

Nah, you're not strange.

but as far as RPGs, shooters, etc, the list is not even close.

That's why. If you are into more kinds of games, then the Wii is probably better. If you like a wider variety of games, then the Wii is probably better.

Though I think that in a year the Wii will be the system for FPS...we'll see. Red Steel 2, CoD: Modern Warfare - Reflex, and The Grinder all look pretty awesome.

Edited by vdub_bobby

I agree it will be really successful at this price point. It will outsell the 360 and PS3 again this season. However, there isn't any good reason to drop the price unless you want to compete on price with the other 2 systems. Otherwise, if you think you can sell a bunch of systems based on game library, you keep the price at $250.

That is what ps3 did, however history show.. ala c64 people will buy with not much library but a great price point. The software caught up eventually.

I must be strange then. I have a good 30+ games for the 360 and about 7 for the Wii. The Wii is great for the games that are really good: Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Tiger Woods 10...but as far as RPGs, shooters, etc, the list is not even close.

However, it will do really well because of the reasons that everyone has stated before. Casual gamers like it, etc.

I'm sure that I'd always choose the PS3 or 360 over the Wii on a regular basis though. Like I said, could be just me :)

Could be me as well, I dont like dual analog shooters and don't really care for time consuming RPG's. Those are title I would not but anyway. Now a good rail shooter.. sign me up. Also we have a variety of ages using the system so it covers more bases. As has been said before just buy them all ;)

I think the Wii should drop another fifty bones. Most of the hardware is nearly a decade old, and Nintendo would still be making a healthy profit from every console purchase. Not to mention the fact that when you buy both main parts, the Wiimote/Nunchuck is the most expensive first party controller on the market. Also not to mention first party Nintendo games seem to never come down in price. Ever.

The Wii is great for the games that are really good: Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Tiger Woods 10...but as far as RPGs, shooters, etc, the list is not even close.

I dunno. Most X360 shooters seem to be just plain multiplayer kill-o-zap Doom/Quake style stuff. Is there anything more mature for solo players, something that can compete with Metroid Prime?

Same with RPGs. I see actionized ego-style Oblivion and Fallout 3 stuff, but is there anything tactical or turn-based that can compete with Fire Emblem?

Also, it seems 80%-90% of the HDs shooter/action-rpg libraries are available in keyboard/mouse controlled PC-Versions, so if I seriously wanted to play those, I'd probably just get a PC.

I dont like dual analog shooters

And yet one of the two choices you listed as games you're most looking forward to this season was Zombie Apocalypse? What an odd choice eh? :dunce:

what am I missing?

You're maybe missing hands on experience Cybergoth.

I like the Wii as well as any gamer, but a PS3 or 360 blows it right away. The majority (Not all but most) of people who actually own and play the different systems share the same sentiment.

Maybe one day you'll know what you're missing?

(Of course they also say ignorance is bliss.)

Edited by moycon

Maybe one day you'll know what you're missing?

(Of course they also say ignorance is bliss.)

I guess that works both ways. RE5 Directors Cut for the PS3Mote will soon enough teach a lot of people what they've been missing all those years. Now that they're finally upgrading to state of the art gaming controls even I might give HD consoles a try :P

BTW: Since I'm currently reading a lot of PS3 reviews, I find it funny to read so much about sixaxis support and how well that enhances the experience when done right, so it seems the PS3 crowd already loves waggle controls, no matter how loudmouth they dismiss them considering the Wii... :ponder:

The Wii is great for the games that are really good: Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Tiger Woods 10...but as far as RPGs, shooters, etc, the list is not even close.

I dunno. Most X360 shooters seem to be just plain multiplayer kill-o-zap Doom/Quake style stuff. Is there anything more mature for solo players, something that can compete with Metroid Prime?

Same with RPGs. I see actionized ego-syle Oblivion and Fallout 3 stuff, but is there anything tactical or turn-based that can compete with Fire Emblem?

Also, it seems 80%-90% of the HDs shooter/action-rpg libraries are available in keyboard/mouse controlled PC-Versions, so if I seriously wanted to play those, I'd probably just get a PC.

I suppose the difference for me is that I can't stand playing games on a PC. I hate the keyboard/mouse system. I'm also not a HUGE fps fan, but the few I do like are really good on the 360 (Orange Box, the COD games). I can't stand Halo. I hardly ever play anything Multiplayer. There's a couple of tactical RPGs, though I haven't played Fire Emblem yet.

Aren't the Final Fantasy RPGs turn based? Or are there any more straight, non-MMO Final Fantasy RPGs anymore?

And just did some browsing through the catalogs...there isn't really anything like Fire Emblem on the 360, is there? At least not anything good. On the PS3 you have Disgaea 3, I think.

And for non-1st-person RPGs, the 360 is probably the place to be, but the PS3 has Eternal Sonata (also on 360) and...that's it? That kind of surprised me. I guess that answers my question about Final Fantasy.

Edited by vdub_bobby

so it seems the PS3 crowd already loves waggle controls, no matter how loudmouth they dismiss them considering the Wii... :ponder:

I can't speak for others but in my experience the sixaxis isn't hardly a factor when playing PS3 games and in many cases isn't even supported. If you choose the PS3 as your next console because you dig waggle controls, you may be disappointed. A good game is a good game, no tacked on controls is going to make it much better in my opinion, but yeah I would definitely "give HD consoles a try"