IGNORED

Wii price drops to $200

Bilnick

Aren't the Final Fantasy RPGs turn based? Or are there any more straight, non-MMO Final Fantasy RPGs anymore?

FF12 was some kind of menu driven real time combat, I've no idea how 13 will be.

And for non-1st-person RPGs, the 360 is probably the place to be, but the PS3 has Eternal Sonata (also on 360) and...that's it? That kind of surprised me. I guess that answers my question about Final Fantasy.

The PS3 generally seems to have all RPGs the 360 has, plus exclusives like Folklore, Disgaea 3, Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls. One of the many reasons I'd currently opt for a PS3 Slim.

Other factors are the much better and more reliable hardware, blue-ray, MGS4, better Ninja Gaiden, RE5DC, God of War and that I think there's still much more to get out of it than for the ~2 years older 360.

The PS3 generally seems to have all RPGs the 360 has

Fable 2? Tales of Vesperia? Lost Odyssey? Two Worlds? Infinite Undiscovery? Blue Dragon? Star Ocean: The Last Hope? The Last Remnant? Mass Effect? Spectral Force 3? Operation Darkness?

You're maybe not reading the right sites or something Cybergoth.

I dont like dual analog shooters

And yet one of the two choices you listed as games you're most looking forward to this season was Zombie Apocalypse? What an odd choice eh? :dunce:

what am I missing?

You're maybe missing hands on experience Cybergoth.

I like the Wii as well as any gamer, but a PS3 or 360 blows it right away. The majority (Not all but most) of people who actually own and play the different systems share the same sentiment.

Maybe one day you'll know what you're missing?

(Of course they also say ignorance is bliss.)

Yeah if it's dual analog :thumbsdown: well I wont be buying it..

I notice your examples are mostly goofy stuff i would never buy anyway.:dunce:

Also The Wii obviously is the choice for most gamers. Learn it,love it. Ps3 has some virtues and quality,Xbox.. skip that one

Here is that happy link for you so get a clue.:dunce:

http://www.crispygamer.com/features/2009-09-24/the-great-american-gaming-landscape.aspx

Edited by atarian63

Fable 2? Tales of Vesperia? Lost Odyssey? Two Worlds? Infinite Undiscovery? Blue Dragon? Star Ocean: The Last Hope? The Last Remnant? Mass Effect? Spectral Force 3? Operation Darkness?

I was only taking games into consideration with a metascore of 75 or higher and I also ruled out PC games like Fable and Mass Effect when trying to make a fair choice between PS3 and XBox360. Not sure how many, if any, titles of your list qualify past those hurdles, especially when taking into account that at least Tales of Vesperia already got a PS3 port?

So you're down to one game you're looking forward to!? :lolblue:

Reminds me of that Monty Python cheese shop sketch with minor changes.

Customer : You do like video games don't you?

atarian63 : Of course, sir. I'm a gamer, sir. I like...

Customer: No no... don't tell me. I'm keen to guess.

Customer : Do you like *names off 25 highly popular video games*

atarian63 : no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,no, no, no, no, no,no, no, no, no, no,

Customer: You're not much of a video game player, are you?

atarian63: Finest in the district!

Customer: (annoyed) Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please.

atarian63: Well, I post on a video game forum.

I am curious to see if this price cut helps move some Wii's. Seems like everyone and their mother (literally) bought into the Wii last year, I know people who didn't even make all that much $$ that bought a Wii because let's face it, it was never that expensive. What will the motivation be? I can't imagine there are hoards of people who have been waiting for a Wii price drop! The PS3...yes. The Wii? I don't see it.

Especially when taking into account that at least Tales of Vesperia already got a PS3 port?

Tales of Vesperia isn't on the PS3 here in the US, maybe it did get a port. Just not here? That's possible. Great game though. The others, it's hit and miss. Many reviewers (gamers) don't like RPGs to begin with and they often get lower scores. Personally I thought Lost Odyssey was brilliant, and even though it got DISMAL ratings, I actually liked Two Worlds. Problem with relying on other people to make your decisions...they aren't you. ;)

A simple fact remains regardless of the ratings...

"The PS3 generally seems to have all RPGs the 360 has", is untrue.

Edited by moycon

I was only taking games into consideration with a metascore of 75 or higher and I also ruled out PC games like Fable and Mass Effect when trying to make a fair choice between PS3 and XBox360. Not sure how many, if any, titles of your list qualify past those hurdles, especially when taking into account that at least Tales of Vesperia already got a PS3 port?

I'll do the maths :lol:

Lost Odyssey is a 360 exclusive; metascore=78

Tales of Vesperia is scheduled for a PS3 (2009?) release though I don't think it's happened yet. Right now it's a 360 exclusive with a metascore=79.

Two Worlds was also released on the PC and it had a metascore of 50. FAIL on both counts. :lolblue:

Infinite Undiscover is a 360 exclusive; misses with a metascore=68

Blue Dragon is a 360 exclusive; metascore=79

Star Ocean: The Last Hope is a 360 exclusive; just misses with a metascore=72. And a possible PS3 2010 release?

The Last Remnant is not a 360 exclusive and has metascore=66.

Spectral Force 3 is a 360 exclusive; big miss with a metascore=59.

Operation Darkness is a 360 exclusive; utter failure with a metascore=46.

So that makes three: Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Tales of Vesperia.

Actually to me it still *seems* so.

Fair enough. Taking other peoples opinion has it's advantages I guess, you might save some cash in the long run although most of the games I listed can be had for < $20 (some < $10) and I can think of a dozen games (movies, books) that got poor reviews that I love. You might want to give it a try Cybergoth, you might find that you're the best judge of what you like. Could happen.

In any case the PS3 is a solid system and it sounds like you've already let others make up your mind, so what are you waiting for!!? It's only $299 now !!! Which brings me back to my other statement. Are many people going to care about a Wii price drop over the PS3 or 360 price drop? Seems like many people are more interested in the latter.

Edited by moycon

Are many people going to care about a Wii price drop over the PS3 or 360 price drop?

Considering a rough current market distribution of:

Wii 50% // 360 30% // PS3 20%

I'd assume 50% of people are happy for the Wii price drop, 20% for the 360 price drop and 30% for the PS3, so while the Wii will stay at 50%, the PS3 and 360 distribution will even out on 25% each during 2010.

Where is this coming from?

Not sure I follow you. Currently, Wii sales in the US anyways are in last place (not counting handhelds) Are you saying this is your prediction once the Wii price cut goes into effect?

Will be interesting to see what happens, especially when it gets closer to Xmas.

Edited by moycon

From this link from earlier in this thread:

http://www.crispygamer.com/features/2009-09-24/the-great-american-gaming-landscape.aspx

Currently, Wii sales in the US anyways are in last place (not counting handhelds)

True, but that's a temporary blip due to the price cuts:

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=America&cons2=PS3&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&start=39705&end=40069

post-6060-125391033259_thumb.png

Looks to me like the ratio of Wii:PS3:360 has been fairly steady for the last six months, at least. After the sales spikes from the various price cuts settle down I'd imagine that things will go back to approximately where they were. Be interesting to see, though.

Edited by vdub_bobby

Looks to me like the ratio of Wii:PS3:360 has been fairly steady for the last six months, at least. Be interesting to see, though.

Yes that is what I'm talking about. Once mid Nov hits I suspect we'll all see a break in the tie, but maybe not. Maybe most folks who wanted (or thought they wanted) a video game system already have one.

Edited by moycon

I notice yo

http://www.crispygam...-landscape.aspx

WTF? Why not? What's the difference between using the wiimote to look around and shoot and the nunchuck to move? Same principal, just different control scheme.

Why the WTF? Just a personal preference. I stopped buying games that had dual analog required. This was the main reason I returned Halo for Xbox(originnal) the same day I bought it. The Wii mote is single movement and fire. Dual analog is run/look and fire. Three things just to play the silly game. I don't like it. I really am more opposed to the control. the game looked fine. I prefer a dreamcast controller type, one joystick.

So you're down to one game you're looking forward to!? :lolblue:

Reminds me of that Monty Python cheese shop sketch with minor changes.

Customer : You do like video games don't you?

atarian63 : Of course, sir. I'm a gamer, sir. I like...

Customer: No no... don't tell me. I'm keen to guess.

Customer : Do you like *names off 25 highly popular video games*

atarian63 : no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,no, no, no, no, no,no, no, no, no, no,

Customer: You're not much of a video game player, are you?

atarian63: Finest in the district!

Customer: (annoyed) Explain the logic underlying that conclusion, please.

atarian63: Well, I post on a video game forum.

I am curious to see if this price cut helps move some Wii's. Seems like everyone and their mother (literally) bought into the Wii last year, I know people who didn't even make all that much $$ that bought a Wii because let's face it, it was never that expensive. What will the motivation be? I can't imagine there are hoards of people who have been waiting for a Wii price drop! The PS3...yes. The Wii? I don't see it.

Especially when taking into account that at least Tales of Vesperia already got a PS3 port?

Tales of Vesperia isn't on the PS3 here in the US, maybe it did get a port. Just not here? That's possible. Great game though. The others, it's hit and miss. Many reviewers (gamers) don't like RPGs to begin with and they often get lower scores. Personally I thought Lost Odyssey was brilliant, and even though it got DISMAL ratings, I actually liked Two Worlds. Problem with relying on other people to make your decisions...they aren't you. ;)

A simple fact remains regardless of the ratings...

"The PS3 generally seems to have all RPGs the 360 has", is untrue.

Since you seem to be dim let me explain,

As games have moved on with controls and types I buy less and less modern games except the ones that cater to what I like and controlls I can deal with. Also why many here do mostly classic games and some new games. Guess that is why you dont understand why Wii is number one even vs ps3 and xbox combined! You have one, how do you not get it, most of the country does....

Not sure I follow you. Currently, Wii sales in the US anyways are in last place (not counting handhelds) Are you saying this is your prediction once the Wii price cut goes into effect?

Will be interesting to see what happens, especially when it gets closer to Xmas.

Pretty much everywhere...

I notice yo

http://www.crispygam...-landscape.aspx

WTF? Why not? What's the difference between using the wiimote to look around and shoot and the nunchuck to move? Same principal, just different control scheme.

I don't understand this - it's the same general idea, sure, but Wiimote+nunchuk is qualitatively different from dual analogs.

I dunno. Most X360 shooters seem to be just plain multiplayer kill-o-zap Doom/Quake style stuff. Is there anything more mature for solo players, something that can compete with Metroid Prime?

The Orange Box definitely, or maybe something like BioShock.

I dunno. Most X360 shooters seem to be just plain multiplayer kill-o-zap Doom/Quake style stuff. Is there anything more mature for solo players, something that can compete with Metroid Prime?

The Orange Box definitely, or maybe something like BioShock.

Bioshock, sure, but for The Orange Box, wasn't the main "mature for solo players" content basically just Half-Life 2, which has been previously released on like a million platforms?

They must be feeling the bite of the 360 and the PS3 price drops.

Probably not feeling the bite at all. There just wanting to keep there significant lead in a changing field. 360 price cut was right on time and the PS3 was too little, too late.

too little too late? theyve sold over a million in 3 weeks, almost 3 times as many as the 360 sold with the price drop AND halo. the 360 price drop and xbox's biggest game this year haven't even caused a blip in the marketplace.hell the ps3 slim outsold the 360 and wii combined since the price drop.

interesting that nintendo only drops it price after sony did. the 360 has been cheaper than a wii for awhile now and nintendo did nothing. its easy to see who nintendo considers competition.

here are the #s so far through sept. 19th

PS3Week 1 - 551,206

Week 2 - 306,794 -

Week 3 - 252,090 -

Total - 1,109,090360

Week 1 - 162,462

Week 2 - 146,913 -

Week 3 - 141,103 -

Total - 450,47

WiiSales pre price drop.

Week 1 - 182,200

Week 2 - 181,624 -

Week 3 - 193,021 -

Total - 556,8451.

PS3 - 1,109,0902.

Wii - 556,8453.

360 - 450,478

Edited by xg4bx

The Wii is great for the games that are really good: Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Tiger Woods 10...but as far as RPGs, shooters, etc, the list is not even close.

Same with RPGs. I see actionized ego-style Oblivion and Fallout 3 stuff, but is there anything tactical or turn-based that can compete with Fire Emblem?

Also, it seems 80%-90% of the HDs shooter/action-rpg libraries are available in keyboard/mouse controlled PC-Versions, so if I seriously wanted to play those, I'd probably just get a PC.

you can use keyboard/mouse on ps3. they even make ones with the ps3 controller buttons labeled on it. i believe it works for all their shooters.

http://www.ps3mouse.com/

Edited by xg4bx

We're not discussing what consoles are in what percentage of peoples living rooms. Recent sales of Ghostbusters and Madden 10 should convince even a simpleton that having 20 million+ more consoles in consumers living rooms doesn't mean jack. We've all heard that what makes a video game system is video game sales.

My point was the 3 consoles have been selling pretty at a steady tie with the Wii actually trailing. Know this, a price cut to any system now will have no bearing on past purchases of that system. Which is what your lame crispygamer link (WTF is crispygamer!!?)was showing. Those units were bought before, and while it's certainly interesting, this is now. The Wii price cut will be happening soon.

Now that your aunt Shermerty's Wii she bought to lose weight and bowl in her living room with is abandoned and collecting dust. She's no doubt passed on the info to the few friends of hers that weren't suckered into thinking they needed a video game system. Will a Wii price cut cause it to surge in the sales or is it a desperate attempt to try and make sure the company doesn't start losing unit sales? The vibe I've been getting is folks we're way more excited about a PS3 price cut than a Wii price cut. Time will tell my friend.

interesting that nintendo only drops it price after sony did.

Are you sure this isn't speculation?

Microsoft officially announced their price cut

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/27/xbox-360-price-drops-go-global-on-friday-its-official/

Notice the date? Aug 27th 2009 this was mere days before the PS3 Slim became available (Sept 3)at a cut price. What exactly makes you think Nintendo was dropping the price in response to Sony but not MS? Have some inside information you'd be willing to share?

That said, I think the price cut helps the PS3 way more and I think it will be the big winner this holiday. I mean even I balked at the P33s price after being all gung ho for a shiny new Playstation system.

$700+ to play A video game? (The cost of the system and a game +tax at launch)

Come on. I don't give a crap how crisp and clean the movies are my video game system plays. LOL

Edited by moycon

I think that, short term, a PS3 price-drop will have a bigger effect, since the PS3 has been so expensive that probably there was a big built-up demand for it from people that couldn't quite justify spending so much money. Over the long term (i.e., Christmas buying season), I'm skeptical that the PS3, with a still-high price, can outsell the Wii. But we'll see!

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/22/wii-price-drop-confirmed-199-starting-this-weekend/

Hopefully a price drop on the controllers and controller accessories will follow soon too!

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

Oh, sorry.

The Wii is great for the games that are really good: Super Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, Tiger Woods 10...but as far as RPGs, shooters, etc, the list is not even close.

Same with RPGs. I see actionized ego-style Oblivion and Fallout 3 stuff, but is there anything tactical or turn-based that can compete with Fire Emblem?

Also, it seems 80%-90% of the HDs shooter/action-rpg libraries are available in keyboard/mouse controlled PC-Versions, so if I seriously wanted to play those, I'd probably just get a PC.

With RPG's you're being a bit unfair. Fire Emblem is the only series of that type on consoles anymore. It's like comparing the top 10 JRPG's on the PSX to the top 10 on the N64. I'm not looking at a list, but did even the Gamecube have 10 worthy JRPG's to play? Shining Force is now different and Arc The Lad did have two games last gen, but other than that it's just Fire Emblem. It's pretty sad really. My older son and I both love those types of games. :sad:

As far as the same games on the PS3/X360 being on the PC. I really don't blame most people for buying consoles to play them. Many modern pc games have been "dumbed down" so they can be made without many changes for consoles. It's hard to play many newer pc games without a X360 controller. The pc versions of The Last Remnant and Devil May Cry 4 (just to name two) were both really designed for the X360 controller in mind. So, very few of these games are better than the console versions. It's much easier for most people just to buy one of the HD consoles and play those games on that.