IGNORED

7800 supercharger question

chriswhit

I have a self modded supercharger using switching diodes and a resistor instead of the chip. I noticed it doesn't work in ether mode on my 7800 but works flawlessly in both modes on my 2600. I'm using cuttle cart playbin to run games off my computer. Is there something I can do to make it work in my 7800? Maybe I need a different program? do they normally work with a 7800?

Edited by chriswhit

Have you looked in the 2600 compatibility section in the 7800's FAQ?

http://www.atariage.com/7800/faq/index.html?SystemID=7800#cat3_3

batari also provided a full answer to the circuit causing the problems here :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/147397-the-7800-timing-circuit-demystifed/

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by GroovyBee

Have you looked in the 2600 compatibility section in the 7800's FAQ?

http://www.atariage.com/7800/faq/index.html?SystemID=7800#cat3_3

batari also provided a full answer to the circuit causing the problems here :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/147397-the-7800-timing-circuit-demystifed/

EDIT: Spelling

My 7800 appears to be a style 1. Maybe the mod I used is not 7800 compatible. I know I have 120 2600 games that all work fine in it.

My Starpath SC is modded in a similar fashion to yours. In fact, the pictures in my mod are of that particular SC. I've run it without difficulty in my brother's light sixer and in both my Heavy Sixer and my third generation 7800.

What's the unit doing? Specifically what color is the screen when you try to boot it up? Mine did some odd stuff when I was trying to nail down the correct resistor value, which is posted in the mod. The screen came up this brownish orange color when I had the resistance too high.

I saw your post in another thread and responded, but it looks like that post was in the wrong forum.

Anyway, I believe you can open up the console and remove the green axial capacitor marked C64.

Or, you can get a Harmony cart (when available again) which has been designed to play Supercharger games even on these 7800s that don't otherwise play them.

My Starpath SC is modded in a similar fashion to yours. In fact, the pictures in my mod are of that particular SC. I've run it without difficulty in my brother's light sixer and in both my Heavy Sixer and my third generation 7800.

What's the unit doing? Specifically what color is the screen when you try to boot it up? Mine did some odd stuff when I was trying to nail down the correct resistor value, which is posted in the mod. The screen came up this brownish orange color when I had the resistance too high.

The screen is blue when booting up on a 2600 but on the 7800 it fires up but just says rewind tape while playing a bin file

I was wondering what size resistor you used to get it to work on your 7800? I just looked and mine is 10k. My 7800 is the first style so it should run in the system right? I used your post as a guide to mod it as I couldn't find the 7432 chip to do it the other way. I also never tried the sc in my 7800 till the mod was done. the post above is mine to answering your questions. Thanks for all the help

A little late, I know, but I used five 100K resistors in parallel. I stared with a single 100K but it didn't work, so I added more in parallel to drop the resistance until it worked.

Final resistance = (5 x 1)/100 = 20 K ohms.

I like this modded supercharger. I think It was your post that I used to mod mine. I hope you don't mind. I don't plan on doing the mod for anyone else so if you sell your mods I'm not a threat. Just like to make my experience the best I can. Do you know anything about the harmony cart and when it is available? About 2 weeks ago I sent an email for the preorder but haven't heard back. I noticed a thread that is for people that got one already. Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated.