IGNORED

HUGE videogame collection for sale

I could never spend 60K on a collection.  It wouldn't matter if it had SQ:Airworld and 5200 C&D in it,  60K is just way too much to spend on a hobby (at least for me).  Then again some of you have bigger paychecks then I do (I'm only 2 years out of college so I don't pull down the big $$$ yet) so it might not be a big deal for you.  However even if I had the money I just couldn't do it...

Tempest

Heh, believe it or not Matt, that's exactly what I meant. I wasn't saying you'd spend $60,000 - I was saying that through judicious purchasing of small amounts that add up incrementally over a long time, you'll end up with a collection worth that much; that is if it's not already considering how many rare and unreleased prototypes you have. :D

Part of the problem (besides the price) with this type of collection is that a buyer might be paying for lots of things he/she already has and doesn't want to pay for again. If you broke the collection up you could probably sell it in a few large chunks and get near that $60K. I think otherwise, your hardcore collectors are going to pass even if they had the money.

If I had the dough and my wife wouldn't castrate me, I'd make you an offer!

Yeah, the richest auctions I can remember on video games are a few that struck me somewhat personally, since I have similar collecting interests. "The Optimizer" sold a 7800 collection with one of everything for something like $3000. I've also seen very complete Vectrex setups go in that range.

Or about 1/20th the size of your asking price.

Eric

I am honored to be included in a list like this one!

As for having that kind of moolah, I do not have it to spend. Remeber, I have been collecting games since I was in High School. I am now 28, and if you include my 2600 (got it Christmas of 83), that is a whole lot of years at this. I run a coin op arcade business on the side to fuel my habit/hobby. When I sell a Ms. Pac arcade on ebay, I make 700 bucks. That is the money I can then go buy goodies with. If I tried to live off of my paychecks as a teacher and still buy these toys, I would be out of luck. Instead, its hours in the garage capping monitors, rebuilding power supplies, and running games at laundromats.

I would imagine a collection could be worth that much, but its probably easier to get that money if you part it out to the "right" people.

Cassidy

BTW, Mega Man, I remember meeting you and your wife! Hope you guys had a great honeymoon (if I recall correctly!). Was I looking for a sports game for Sega Master?

I am honored to be included in a list like this one!  

As for having that kind of moolah, I do not have it to spend.  Remeber, I have been collecting games since I was in High School.  I am now 28, and if you include my 2600 (got it Christmas of 83), that is a whole lot of years at this.  I run a coin op arcade business on the side to fuel my habit/hobby.  When I sell a Ms. Pac arcade on ebay, I make 700 bucks.  That is the money I can then go buy goodies with.  If I tried to live off of my paychecks as a teacher and still buy these toys, I would be out of luck.  Instead, its hours in the garage capping monitors, rebuilding power supplies, and running games at laundromats.

Anybody who has owned their own 2600 since the glory days definitely has an "in" over those of us trying to get the stuff after the fact; that is unless the only reason you want one is to play Combat, E.T. and Pac-Man. :D It just kills me now to think all of the opportunities I missed during childhood, especially considering I got off to such a good start with an Atari Pong. When I read the stories about how all these now hard to find games were at one time being liquidated for $5 or less by everyone, I could almost cry! :(

Your response beautifully describes what I meant though - a collection built up incrementally over a long period of time that is probably now worth a big wad; but not something anybody could buy all in one shot.

I would imagine a collection could be worth that much, but its probably easier to get that money if you part it out to the "right" people.

Cassidy

Totally. Which is why this seller's insistance that he will ONLY sell it as a bulk lot and ONLY for an insanely high starting price is just beyond me. :roll: Can't blame a guy for trying though.

BTW, Mega Man, I remember meeting you and your wife!  Hope you guys had a great honeymoon (if I recall correctly!).  Was I looking for a sports game for Sega Master?

You might have been, but if it was Sports Pad Football fear not, I've got one now. :) We had a great time, so much so we're talking about going to CGE again next year. Hopefully we'll see you there and maybe get a chance to talk more or even quaff a burger and beer somewhere on the strip. :D I was actually hoping there would be an organized "get together" of AtariAge and/or RGVC people, but it didn't work that way - not that it kept me from getting to meet folks anyway! :)

talking about big auction.....check this one!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...1391842448&rd=1

heh that guy is back :D

if i remeber correctly, the last time he listed that one it went as high as $9900 (or something close) but it still didnt meet the reserve price

That guy should open an Estore. He'd be better off. Most of the games listed are crap.