IGNORED

Hubot plays Atari 2600 games

CrazyChris

I was looking for information about an old

robot on the internet and found out that it

has a built in 2600. I thought it would be

fun to post it here.

Chris

Wow... Almost everything an iPhone does now.... except walk :-)

Things like this really demonstrate how far we've come.

With that said, I'd rather have a Hubot over an iPod anytime.

BTW:It has a resemblance to the Dreamcast Store kiosks.. hmmm....

-Lee

Cool! It reminded me of the household robot in the Tom Selleck movie Runaway. After a quick Youtube search, it's not. It does look familiar though. I wonder if Hubot has made any TV appearances over the years.

Yep... it looks familiar.

Now that I've seen more pictures, it looks more and more like the trash receptacle just outside my office door :-)

-Lee

ahem :) $3500 (in 1984 dollars,) burning a hole in your pocket??

CIRCLE 468 ON READER SERIVE CARD Hubotics Robot

Hubotics introduced the Hubot, said to be the first robot intended for use in the home rather than by hobbyists or educators. Well, maybe, but we think hobbyists, educators, and homeowners will all like Hubot.

Hubot stands 44" tall and is more of a mobile computer than a robot. The computer, the SysCom, has three Z80A mpus, 128K of RAM, 42K or ROM, an 80-column by 24-line display, 64-key detachable keyborad, 5-1/4" disk drive, and ports for a parallel printer, RS-232 serial device, and joysticks. Robotic peripherals include a voice synthesizer (with 1200-word vocabulary), sonic transducer, battery charger, digital clock, and, of course, A C3PO garbage can-like body. Oh, yes, if he gets on your nerves, you can always switch off the robotic functions and turn him into a B&W TV set. $3495.

Hubotics, Inc., 5375 Avenida Encinas, Suite B, Carlsbad, CA 92008. (619) 438-9028

http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v10n4/132_1984_Winter_Consumer_Elec.php

for $3500 Id want 'sonic transudcers' and 'advanced magnetic velocity readers' and whatever else :) (television interface adaptors :)

:lol:

Eh, but, assuming that 4-switcher VCS panel wasn't just a facade, there's already a Television Interface Adapter in there!

Speaking of 4-switchers, so where are the difficulty switches? :ponder:

If I was a child of the Megabucks family and had received this for Christmas, I know I would have been through the roof with joy. I wonder how long it would have taken me to realize that it was really just a sad conglomeration of contemporary (certainly not futuristic) components. That they slapped a car stereo in the thing was particularly cheesy, though that would have been much easier to power off the 12-V battery system than trying to adapt a home stereo to it (and a space-saver, too).

So it was mostly just a bunch of contemporary (for the time) components jammed into a robot chassis. Of course, the Atari was just a discreet component, I'm sure it wasn't even interfaced with the computer. If only they had the forethought to include a 6502 assembler with the software. They missed a golden opportunity to sell a robot that teaches you how to write Atari games! I'll bet that would have sold a few Hubots!

Alas, all you got was an Atari 2600 that couldn't talk to the on-board computer, and you had to play games in B&W. :sad:

Ahh, the computer. That, of course, would have been the most interesting component. I would have loved to learn the CP/M "operation system" :rolling: at the same time DOS was starting to take off. Plus it looks like it had a specialized language for the "robot" functions.

At least they didn't cheese out on the battery. 40 Amp-hours is some serious juice.

-tet

Edited by tetrode kink

• 5 years later...