IGNORED

Need help: Best 2600 arcade port?

King Atari

Okay, I'm putting together a new article for Atarinvader, and I'd like to try something different: get a little feedback from everyone, see what's most popular. My choices rest firmly with Xenophobe and Mario Bros. (By the way, Mario Bros. now shares the #1 spot with Xenophobe as my all time favorite 2600 game. You know, a 1a/1b thing. Just thought it was worth mentioning).

I think that's going to be a pretty short list. I usually look at the 5200 and 7800 for great arcade ports. Also do you mean best game overall that happens to be an arcade port? Or best arcade to home translation?

Anyway, my vote would be for Super Breakout. Great game and fairly faithful to the early arcade game. Starpath's Frogger also should get some mention.

I have a certain fondness for Millipede. Though you have blocks for the mushrooms and shooter, the vast number of enemies and all their various effects on the board (raise it, lower it, slow the action) are intact, along with bonus rounds, multiple spiders, and a lot going on at once.

The answer depends on what defines the “best” arcade port. VCS Space Invaders is not the most faithful translation, but its many options improve on the original, in my opinion, and it’s one of my all-time favorite VCS games. So, by those criteria it should be the best...or right up there, anyway.

The answer depends on what defines the “best” arcade port. VCS Space Invaders is not the most faithful translation, but its many options improve on the original, in my opinion, and it’s one of my all-time favorite VCS games.

I should have mentioned that I also enjoy the VCS version’s graphics more.

Do you guys think Sprint Master would count as a port of Super Sprint?

I would count it. I had passed up a NIB Sprint Master from Odd Lots for $1 back in 1993 because I already had Super Sprint for the NES. :x

I still need more time to think of the best ports for the 2600. I'll post back later.