IGNORED

Need help: Best 2600 arcade port?

King Atari

Sorry but the 2600 version of Space Invaders is NOT better than the arcade game.. sure it added a few things (zig zag, moving shields, fast bombs, invisible invaders, and a fat laser base option) but it also LOST a lot of things, counting shots, variable ufo values, invader pt. values, rainbow trick, invaders not firing on the lowest row, etc. Plus the gameplay is totally different. Anyway some of those options are pretty much useless (moving shields?? who the hell plays that?)

Like I've said numerous times before, 2600 Space Invaders is so different, if you're going to call it better than the arcade game, you might as well call Intellivisions Space Armada better than the arcade as well.. get my point? ;)

How about Warlords?

Sure, the home version is round-based rather than point-based, has only one ball in play, and features some questionable computer A.I. (why don't you hit yourself _again_?), but it's a classic multi-player game and keeps the fast action of the arcade version.

Actually, until the Atari emulation packs started coming out, I didn't even know Warlords had been an arcade game. :) That shows which version got the most attention...

Hands down, the most faithful, flawless, accurate arcade translation, "can't tell the difference between the 2600 version and the arcade version" is...

Pong on the Video Olympics cartridge. Come on, you all know it's true.

Nah, arcade Pong wasn’t in color. :D

Maby i got a bad cart but my Video olympics is in black and white :ponder:

I think for overall play value, Bump N Jump is the closest port. Jr. Pac Man feels really close too.

Night Driver is no where near the original. The original only has white dots for the road, and is MUCH more fun. I visited the COSI museum arcade in Ohio this last year, and to my disgust, they were running a 2600 emulator inside a cockpit Night Driver arcade machine! ICK. I know for fact there was a running (for profit) Night Driver cockpit in St. Louis until the late 90's (that is an amazing feat of engineering, that many years on location, I cannot think of another besides Pac Man with that staying power!).

Other honorable mentions would be Warlords and (dont shoot me) Video Olympics (set on black and white) :). Just my .25.

Cassidy

Okay, gathering everything up, I'll have to choose certain games for the article. How's this list:

Best:

Stargate/Defender II

Crystal Castles

Space Invaders

Video Olympics

Night Driver

Jr. Pac-Man

Ms. Pac-man

Gravitar

Worst:

Pac-Man

Donkey Kong

Donkey Kong Jr.

Double Dragon

Honorable mentions:

Xenophobe

Mario Bros.

This list is subject to some editing, so we'll how everything works out. I still have to write an intro, we don't wantthe actual list too long.

Don't forget too that while they're often overlooked or disregarded, some of the hacks done in recent years have really made some of the classic 2600 Arcade ports even better, and even making them IMHO some of the BEST of the 2600 arcade conversions. These games are highly playable either via the cuttlecart, or DC-Stella on the dreamcast, or just a pc emu.. or of course, Hozer.

So here, in my opinion are the 4 best arcade ports that just also happen to be hacks. :P Unless you're a purist, I'd rather play these versions any day over their original cart releases.

1. Asteroids DC+ Faster asteroids, more varied and angled asteroid movement (i.e. not just up and down), improved reserve ship display, and simulated 'vector graphics' (originally done by yours truly *ahem*:D) make THIS the Asteroids of choice to play for the 2600 in my book.

2. Galaxian. Let's face it, the original's gameplay was good, but that friggin bright orange border was ugly as sh*t and did absolutely no justice to the original arcade game. The removal of it INSTANTLY makes the feel and look of the game that much more closer to the arcade, and a redo of the aliens graphics helps out as well. It's definitely "2600 Galaxian" unlike the original which required a somewhat small leap of faith...

3. Pacman This needs no explanation. Pacman music, ghost sirens, the correct fruit. It's all there baby. I still play this constantly to see how far I can make it past the Key level.

4. Berzerk - Voice Enhanced. Of course we all know this one. Great port originally, with arcade voice now added. 'nuff said ;)

Honorable mention: Mario Bros, Space Invaders, simply for the graphics. (speaking of which..and hopefully soon, Space Instigators). Then Thomas' controller hacks like for Omega Race, and Missile Command. Times are pretty good :)