IGNORED

Sneak Peak - Amiga Atari Design...

Curt Vendel

Pardon my ignorance, but I have to ask you experts some things that have always plagued me. If Atari had ended up with the Amiga chipset, would that of meant some kind of console from Atari using the original Amiga chipset? Would Atari have still built a next generation computer around the Amiga chipset or would they have still released the ST computer line? How close to the OCS Amiga would Atari's design have been another words would it have been capable of HAM and HAM-E mode?

Some thing else I've always wondered. What would Commodore have released? If Atari did release an Amiga style computer would Commodore have likely rushed to market with a ST like machine?

According to a number of sources, there were to be two machines released by Atari using what is now known as the Amiga chipset: A video game console and a home computer (the Atari 1850XL).

http://www.atarimuseum.com/computers/8BITS/XL/XL-Pages/xl-range-main.htm

• 1 month later...

Can you imagine what would've happened had Atari Corp and Commodore settled their lawsuits so that both would've had co-ownership of the Amiga chipset and thus released similar systems but with different OSes? That would've been interesting.

Yes, I especially wonder what the DOS portion would have been like.

Per the 1984 contract update, if each company were to develop different operating systems then software should be converted between the two. Mickey's BIOS would have been a subset of Exec (i.e. controllers, graphics primitives and other I/O).

I would liked to see Atari buy Apple when they had the chance, and also MOS. Then, if Jack had choked on a hambone when he heard the news, we would be all talking on FujiPhones now. :)

Aw man! Someone totally needs to do a sci-fi movie with people walking around talking on cell phones with little Atari logos on them. That would be soooo cool.

• 8 years later...

You can thank Dave Needle of Amiga Inc or whatever it was called for purposefully sabotaging the Amiga custom chip designs he was legally required to send to Atari even when Commodore gave them a cheque to give back to Atari.

Atari settled out of court with Commodore over this, whatever money they got from this settlement it was a complete and utter waste of time because Atari had nothing useful for Jack Tramiel to use to make an affordable computer remotely like the Amiga 500 at any price. Also, the Amiga 500 project was about 10 months late so it should have come out by the time the first 520STFM came out. The lawsuit was 'settled' though. 

Another issue is MOS made the custom chips for Amiga for a lot less than Atari would have needed to pay someone to make them for any console/computer they used and the price of 256k let alone 512kbyte ROMs would be insane so there would be no Amiga Shadow of the Beast 1 quality games for less than 1986 £50/$60 which is too expensive. Not sure how Atari without their own chip design/fabrication business in house could ever fight the A500 in the long term.

Not that it really matters, unless you want to play Amstrad quality rubbish simple games like Bubble Bobble and didn't like OutRun/Chase HQ etc then the Amiga was also a complete waste of money. £399 buys a hell of a lot of near arcade perfect PC Engine games even with import taxes.

By 1990 or later it was a pretty dumb idea to buy a new Amiga or ST to play the latest games on, regardless of the hardware the developers were SCUM 9/10. There is no technical reason why ST OutRun can't be similar to PC Engine, or Amiga Chase HQ similar to FM Towns. Other software proves the hardware is not the problem, relying on scumbags like US Gold/Ocean/Activision/Domark to give you something worth the money was a delusion. How many units of Digi-view were sold? That's how many actual Amigas were needed, for games both were not really a good way to spend your cash by 1990- :)