IGNORED

Prince of Persia

José Pereira

What a sh... see the picture I posted from MrSid Blog. Even those more common front pillars are 19 hi-res pixels not 21 of the Apple2 7-bit that I know and said on that post.

MrSid it's possible in charmode because I already have your gfxs each section with 64scanlines and that sections use then each charline 1charset that is 8charsets for the section(s) in what we usually call 'Interleaved Charsets'.

With one more the Status Area you'll end up with around 9Kbs for the screen. Not much more than the usual around 8Kbs of an bitmap mode screen.

P.s.- On A8 each charset takes only 1Kb because it only has 128chars.

Edited by José Pereira

Too much conjecture... Here's the relevant bitmap from the Apple II version, it's 21 pixels (i.e. 3 bytes) wide. It's drawn to the screen last (front piece layer) with an opaque blit routine (basically just STA) thus it overdraws everything at that location, including the player (which is drawn earlier).

image_45.png

Too much conjecture... Here's the relevant bitmap from the Apple II version, it's 21 pixels (i.e. 3 bytes) wide. It's drawn to the screen last (front piece layer) with an opaque blit routine (basically just STA) thus it overdraws everything at that location, including the player (which is drawn earlier).

image_45.png

Yes. The 1st (left) an the last (right) pixel stays black, so no unwanted "resulting" colour appears there, which makes the imagination of the "stay in front" perfect. And that's why the pillars look like "19" pixel wide, when looking at the straight pixels without artefacting.

Edited by emkay

That pillar isn't the only one that mask guy. Go read my post with the video.

After that post there's another one witg a xex file that does the mask in 'non-chars' pillars.

You're 'reducing' the game complexity to these pillars and if it was that we can, no problem in changing them.

Poison, probably not this and others like Last Ninja just because no-one seems to like taking these large projects onto A8.

We, probably, need an MrSid 'sort of' in the A8 side...

josé: I was disappointed from the project The Last Ninja. I saw a lot of beautiful images from this game. It looked like it could freeze hell and the game could be completed. This is the same situation. Lots of opinions and none of this:) But it's nice to keep the idea that maybe the game will be, or think about how to do it;-)

if the need for super techno music for the game, just write me;-)

That pillar isn't the only one that mask guy. Go read my post with the video.

Have you thought about the possibility, that the "pillars" and the "grids" could be handled differently?

A suggestion might be to use simple "front layer pasting" when pillars and other char-sized objects are needed.

And a specialized soft-sprite routine for objects with holes.

From a "rendering perspective" it is not THAT difficult. The hard part in PoP AFAIK see it is the game logic and packing all these levels into RAM.

Hell, considering the 12FPS fact, you do not even need pre-shifted sprites. You have 4 frames to draw the screen.

Frame 0: pre-shift and pre-calc AND-table.

Frame 1: prepare special tiles (e.g. soft-sprites for objects with holes)

Frame 2: render all these soft-sprites.

Frame 3: Free, or maybe something I don't realize what should be done

(Maybe calculate the mirrored sprite for left/right movement (then it should be before Frame 0 of course)

repeat!

Jose, I think as long as no one comes along and offers to code it, your job is done ;)

Disclaimer:

I am following this topic not with full concentration, so if I have missed to include a fact in my thinking, don't be harsh just point it out to me.

MrSid Pillars apart, are the other masking stuff soft sprites (the ones that move like Razour Blades, Gates open and close,...)?

Just one more question:

In screens that has more than one gate or more than one more 'up and down' razour blades does they are the same gfxs?

(if they use the same gfxs like one moving and the other not or is more or less open... the same soft sprite or two gates/blades are two soft sprites?)

Thanks.

P.s.- CrtXL: No my work isn't over because I still have something in mind (perhaps I even get something the way Emkay wants/think of...)!

You're 'reducing' the game complexity to these pillars and if it was that we can, no problem in changing them.

It's exactly you who is looking at one part of a game and put it into a workable phantasy. Put all the needed features together and see what's possible, would be the better way....