IGNORED

Prince of Persia

José Pereira

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Wow, fantastic job! Graphics are well done, especially considering the palette.

It looks like it runs quite fast too -- if emulation be accurate about it.

Nice they have an online emulator to run it on. I'd like to see some videos,

though; it'd be nice to see some other levels, without working for it.

Source code available. Where's XXL...

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 4

But it does make the A8 people look bad... come on guys, you can do it! :)

Does look like that ;)

Excellent work !!! And online emu in release article is a huge bonus !

It wasn't an easy conversion. Guys figured out how apple drawing routines on 7 pixel/byte screen worked, redid every gfx image into wide pixel mode and figured out how to fit it all together in 128k on a different computer with different memory layout and disk io methods.

What's different on A8 ? Single most important thing are those damn 4 colors in bitmap mode. C64 had Multicolor bitmap and large sprites. BBC has linear 16 colors per pixel mode. With fast cpu and double buffer it makes it possible to redraw any pixel on screen when ever you want it.

A8 only has those simple pms that can get the job done if you put enormous effort behind it. Jose already did most of gfx so now you would say it's only left for coder to put it together. Well that is difficult to nth degree. Every frame is different size, every character demands different color, sometimes it needs masking, sometimes not... Each PM added to original gfx needs more ram. Try fitting in memory original data plus all additional info about those pm bits and pieces, new code to draw it all...

Franco was on a good path and the only reason behind lack of progress is real life. Same for everyone else I guess.

So is it possible and probable = yes. Soon ? No :)

• Like 2

Hey!! How time flies!!

What an amazing port is that one for the BBC!! Reading about their progress reminded me the same struggles and doubts. Specially those about memory use, because for my code to run fast it uses a lot of precalculated tables and I don't know it they will fit on memory once the implementation grows, I must get to that point to know.

As popmilo said, the graphics department have done a great job and I am the roadblock here, but the good news are that most of my real life problems are being left back and I'm "resuming normal operations" step by step. I hope to be back at A8 coding this year, there is no reason not to do it now.

• Like 9

Nice to see you again Franco!

I think memory in not a big issue nowadays.

You can make a cart version (Space Harrier or AtariBlast are 1MB but run on stock 64KB machines).

Or/and you can make a xex for expanded machines (128 or 320KB are the most popular)

• Like 5

Hey!! How time flies!!

... the good news are that most of my real life problems are being left back and I'm "resuming normal operations" step by step. I hope to be back at A8 coding this year, there is no reason not to do it now.

Don't let it slip by one more year ;)

We're here to help.

Cheers!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...