IGNORED

5200 or Colecovision?

King Atari

Big Mo has a great comparison article at AtariHQ:

http://www.atarihq.com/5200/cv52/

This is a great article. It explains all the techincal aspects of the hardware in simple terms. I love reading articles like this. :D

The conclusion I drew from this article was that the 5200 was a more "powerful" machine. It seemed to imply that 5200 was better, except where games are concerned.

<snip>

Actually, the 5200 IS the more powerful hardware when you compare all the capabilties, as I did in the article. When researching it I half expected to fidn the CV the winner, but the more I found out about the hardware of the CV, the more I realized that it was pretty basic and nowhere near as flexible as the 5200. But CAPABILTY isn't the same as reality, and certainly many if not most 5200 games failed to use the hardware as fullas they could have.

The video "crispness" you refer to can be attributed to several things:

a) The Coleco's limited 15 color palette which is very contrasy

b) the video dusplay circuitry, which may be better than the 5200's

c) The relative resolutions involved. The 5200 hardward could kick the CV's ass in most cases IF there was enough cart memory and the programmer wanted to push the hardware, but most 5200 games fell back on standard ANTIC modes that often were inferior to some Coleco modes

I like the 5200 but would have to go with ColecoVision if I had to choose between the two. For one the controllers of course...But even if I was using great controllers on the 5200 I have to agree with Tempest...The game line-up was pretty tepid. Mostly rehashes.... HoHum. Or games that could be found on the other systems.

Okay, one thing about those ports of Donkey Kong- why is he on the right side? He appeared on the left in the arcade, as he did in the 2600 version? Was this some sort of weird hardware issue?

My guess is that it's because the arcade game had a screen that was taller than wide and your TV set is oriented wider thant all, so adjustments had to be made in the screen layout.

As a retro-gamer I think that the 5200 is the system of choice. It has

more of the famous Atari classics although the lack of Donkey Kong

is a major hole for any 80s arcade collection. But from an 1982-84

mindset the CV is a more exciting system. It just has a more unique

catalog especially since both systems can play 2600 games with

expansion sets. But if you want to just play the classics then the 5200

has the most famous titles with graphics beefed up over the 2600

version. Also from a collectors view the 5200 is just more interesting to

collect for than the CV IMHO.

However, I enjoy my 800XL and 7800 far more. Each system can get

around the joystick problems of the CV and 5200. The 800 has

pretty much every major arcade game of the era in quality ports. The

7800 while having a small library has a great assortment of games.

While it is missing Frogger, Missle Command and Beserk it makes up

for that with amazing versions of Galaga, Ms Pacman and Asteroids, and

has a few cool late 80s arcade games like Rampage and Ikari Warriors.

There is really no clear leader amongst the pre-NES systems. You really

have to just look at the games available for each system and see which

one has the most ones you want. For the most part all the famous games

on these systems are all fun to play, regardless of whether or not they

have DK's 4th level.

John

The 7800 while having a small library has a great assortment of games. While it is missing Frogger, Missle Command and Beserk it makes up for that with amazing versions of Galaga, Ms Pacman and Asteroids, and has a few cool late 80s arcade games like Rampage and Ikari Warriors.

Agreed, except for the part about Galaga. I just don't find the 7800 very exciting. What the 7800 needed was to be used to it's fullest, and have a LOT more late-80's games. You had Rampage, Ikari Warriors, and the ever great Double Dragon, as well as few originals, but it wasn't enough. Atari should have went at it with full force.

It's sad how short the 5200 lasted, because it's really a great system. I don't mind it being just an Atari computer redesigned as a console. Frankly, I tend to shy away from early 80's computers (with the exception of the TI/99), maybe it's because the disks always seemed so fragile to me. Even Commodore computers I don't expand on beyond the cartridges (and I rarely expand on even that).

But from an 1982-84

mindset the CV is a more exciting system...

I remember having my 5200 in 1983 and thinking, "Why can't Atari make a game as good looking and sounding as Donkey Kong, LadyBug, or even Buck Rodgers?"

Having every 5200 game, (never collected for the CV) I am still very impressed by the technology the CV displayed. It really raised the bar and probably would have done a lot better if Atari had not locked in the classic arcade games, which are great translations on the 5200.

I really like the way the 7800 games look and play (sorry, no experience with the 400/800 series), but I HAVE to lower the sound on the TV due to the 70's audio. It detracts from the games, with the only exception being Commando (Ballblazer is just annoying :) ). I won't mention the hand cramps that occur within 5 minutes of using the Proline Joysticks.

That said, the 5200 library makes it the winner in my mind. Especially the conversions of Centipede, Missile Command, Mario Bros, and Gyruss. Had Coleco released all the games it promised, it would be a much closer battle. But I'm not biased :)

I vote for the Colecovision ( I never played on a 5200 because it was US-

only, but I know the XL-computers).

The big advantage is the driving controller. Coleco was the first in offering

this for a home console. A few month ago I repaired my CV-controller

(switching the internals from brand new Adam controllers from an internet-

dealer into my CV-controllers), and I have a perfect working 20 years old

CV machine.

I must say: the CV-controllers are not the worst in town!

The 5200 has no Turbo, War Games, Donkey Kong/Jr, Lady Bug, Venture,

Mouse Trap, Carnival- ADVANTAGE Coleco!

I wish Coleco had released Tunnels and Trolls, Wild Western, Skiing, Horse

Racing, Wizard of Wor, Solar Fox......

Mister VCS

If it wasn't for the horrid 5200 controllers, I might consider it... but I have yet to find a working controller for the system. Obviously, I haven't been looking day and night... but every CV controller I've found has at least worked (albeit never all that well). I grew up with this system, so I may be a bit biased, but it had a better set of games, better expansions, and was just better overall in my opinion. I got used to the controllers fairly easily actually.

Even tho the 5200 is bigger (who woulda thought Black and Pink would work)

Pink??? Since when is the 5200 pink? Did you not take off the plastic film that protects the metal strip?

--Zero

I'll take the 5200 any day, controllers and all. They're not as bad as their reputation nor will they cause the medical problems in your hands like the CV controllers will.

Also, it seems like the CV's animation is just not up to snuff with the 5200. It's always seemed a bit jerky whereas the 5200 was always smooth. (The one exception seems to be Defender, written by Atari.)

'nother vote for the 5200.

I had a brief email conversation with the Donkey Kong creator for the 800 and he mentioned that trying to get the last level of girders on the first screen made everything look squished and he would had to have sacrificed the 'jumping gravity' that he spent so much time perfecting - It really acts almost like the arcade when Mario jumps - Otherwise this is spot on (even the monkey climbing to the top is in the game, but it only shows during the screen cycle for some reason).

Though I wonder why the C64 version was able to get all the girders?

He also mentioned that the final version is not the one that shipped - When Mario dies the graphics overlap a bit so he looks crunched. That was fixed but the final build didnt go to production for some reason.

Oh well :)

Goochman, that is VERY interesting to me. That 8bit version of DK, as well as the 5200 version of Miner 2049'er, and directly responsible for my wanting to learn to program the 5200.

DK is such a masterpiece! In fact, I always LOVED Mario's jump in the 800 version, it is SO satisfying. Mario's jump was busted in 2600 DK.

CV DK is really junky compared to Atari800's DK. If only we could hack the game to 5200 and put it on the multicart!

Oh, and Zaxxon's scrolling, as well as nearly ALL CV scrolling, is far more jerky than typical 5200 scrolling. Zaxxon 5200 looks and moves great; it's low ROM size of 16K is what hurts its gameplay (as well as its finger-bustin' button presses, OUCH!)

I have both systems. In a nutshell, the CV has a more eclectic game library, but the 5200 has a better base of solid arcade classics. The CV contollers are very awkward but generally work. The 5200 controllers are superior for gameplay, but have obvious reliability problems. This is not a big deal because you can buy rebuilt sticks or wico sticks, and I would strongly urge Atari collectors to not be put off by the 5200 contollers or you will miss out on an otherwise great system and great game library. When deciding CV or 5200, the obvious answer for a true classic game fan is: both!

I'll take the 5200 any day, controllers and all. They're not as bad as their reputation

I never thought the 5200 controllers were all that bad in theory... it's just their fragility that annoys me. Atari had/has a reputation for making 2600 stuff that was built like a tank. The 5200 controller definitely wasn't such a device. I wonder if they even did any durability testing...

Yeah, the ColecoVision scrolling did kinda suck... However, some companies managed to do it properly. Just look at B.C.'s Quest For Tires. Not only does it scroll smoothly, but it even does parallax scrolling. Looping on the other hand has choppy jerky scrolling... oh well.

It's funny that you mention character gravity... in B.C.'s Quest For Tires, the lack of gravity was always something I liked. You'd jump over something, but you wouldn't realize you mistimed your jump until your character suddently hit the obstacle with a loud noise. It still startles me to this day when it happens. I think being able to see the arc of the jump would take that away from the game.

--Zero

I suggested hacking DK into a 5200 version some time back and all I got were responses like "With the 5200 joystick? Ick!". I thought it was a good idea...

Atari probably would have done it on their own had they been allowed (Coleco owned the console rights). Strangely they did plan DK Jr. at one point, I would have thought Coleco owned those rights as well.

Tempest

I suggested hacking DK into a 5200 version...

I think it's still an excellent idea!

- VD

For the umpteenth time.. I again voice my most enthusiastic urging for such a noble and worthy project such as this. To play Atari 800 DK on the 5200..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I suggested hacking DK into a 5200 version some time back and all I got were responses like "With the 5200 joystick?  Ick!".  I thought it was a good idea...    

Atari probably would have done it on their own had they been allowed (Coleco owned the console rights).  Strangely they did plan DK Jr. at one point, I would have thought Coleco owned those rights as well.

Tempest

...and there is a CV Pac-Man prototype out there so perhaps if the crash

had not happened each system might have eventually seen some of

the others unique titles.

John