IGNORED

5200 or Colecovision?

King Atari

I have many colecovision games but I just never got around to getting one for my collection. I must admit at there were some games 5200 was not able to make as good as the colecovision. Even if 5200 was a better system. I like them both. They were different which made it better. I also love Intellivision and every other console out there. : )

I still believe the Coleco had great music- just like the 5200, there were games that sounded really good. Burgertime, DK Jr., and the music for Looping was really impressive- especially upon entering the difficult "pipe" area. I also remember pretty good music for Tarzan- if repetitive, and when you paused Subroc- it had a pretty cool track.

And since this is the Atari forum- memorable 5200 music? Ms. Pac Man- better than 7800's, Moon Patrol, and Pengo. Any other votes?

Been playing a few Coleco games through the Virtual CV emulator...

The ironic thing is that it seem that it was ATARI who was able to get the most out of this system! Joust, Defender, Jungle Hunt, and Galaxian seem to be very smooth and actually fun to play. Many of the Coleco made games are jerky and (often) dull.

Leave it to Atari to make great games for the opposing systems while Coleco made crap for the Atari systems (2600 Zaxxon anyone?)

You definetely have a point there. The Atari carts for CV are all well done. There is that weird Defender thing though where nothing shows up in the radar screen. I disagree on Coleco's games being dull. Many of the coleco made games are supergood like Destructor, Victory, Tarzan, and of course War Games.

I agree this has been discussed a lot but if you're not interested don't read the thread.  I personally like seeing the different perspectives.  I know neither console is going to "win" or cure somebody's gout or whatever but it's fun to discuss.

I'm very interested, which is why I posted the magazine cover from VideoGaming Illustrated. I was just pointing out that this debate is extremely long running! 8)

The reason this is a such good topic (I could read it over and over) is because the two systems in questions are truly great systems. They are easily my two favorite systems. I like the look of the 2600 sitting on my table, but I seldom play it (the shame!). However, the 5200 and the Colecovision to me capture classic gaming. They also compliment each other in that the two systems' libraries don't have tons of overlap so if you have both systems you have an incredible classic gaming library. This isn't true with Intellivision and the Atari 2600 where it seems like except for sports games the games overlap and aren't so different. I see similar discussions about NES and SMS (although I consider this a different gaming era), but the NES so clearly won the contest in the U.S. whereas the 5200 and Colecovision ran a close battle and then died early so the mystique contiues . . .

Honestly, two must have systems in my opinion -- just please please hurry with the new MasterControl joystick adaptor :wink: . That will be the best Christmas present!

One thing that bugged my about the Coleco hardware, esp. after I tried programming on the ADAM is that it has a 8 pixel color bleed problem. For example: Lets say you plot a pixel as color 1 at screen location 0,0 If you were to plot a pixel at screen location 0,5 of color 2, the second point will take the color of the first point.

How Coleco was to get around his in thier games was beyond me. Especially the awesome graphic of the planet Jupiter on 2010: Text Adventure for the ADAM

I agree this has been discussed a lot but if you're not interested don't read the thread.  I personally like seeing the different perspectives.  I know neither console is going to "win" or cure somebody's gout or whatever but it's fun to discuss.

I'm very interested, which is why I posted the magazine cover from VideoGaming Illustrated. I was just pointing out that this debate is extremely long running! 8)

Yes we know. Guys.. throughout the years here I have posted a couple of old mag scans already from the whole "Colecovision vs. 5200" debates.. have you not seen them? ;) Heck.. even earlier in this very thread! :P

.. throughout the years here I have posted a couple of old mag scans already from the whole "Colecovision vs. 5200" debates.. have you not seen them? ;) Heck.. even earlier in this very thread! :P

Did you already post the one from that particular issue of VG Illustrated? If so, I guess there is no need to duplicate your effort. :?

The reason this is a such good topic (I could read it over and over) is because the two systems in questions are truly great systems. They are easily my two favorite systems. I like the look of the 2600 sitting on my table, but I seldom play it (the shame!). However, the 5200 and the Colecovision to me capture classic gaming. They also compliment each other in that the two systems' libraries don't have tons of overlap so if you have both systems you have an incredible classic gaming library. This isn't true with Intellivision and the Atari 2600 where it seems like except for sports games the games overlap and aren't so different. I see similar discussions about NES and SMS (although I consider this a different gaming era), but the NES so clearly won the contest in the U.S. whereas the 5200 and Colecovision ran a close battle and then died early so the mystique contiues . . .

Honestly, two must have systems in my opinion -- just please please hurry with the new MasterControl joystick adaptor  :wink: . That will be the best Christmas present!

It is nice having both systems. I share your lack of interest in playing the 2600. The only games I play on the 2600 from time to time are Turmoil and Fast Eddie. I love both the 5200 and Colecovision systems. Colecovision has a lot of arcade games in its library unavailable on any other system. The 5200 has one of the best small libraries out there. Wouldn't it be great if PS2 came out with a comprehensive library CD's for each system? Even though they bombed in their Intellivsion and Activision efforts, it would be nice to play both system's libraries with the PS controllers.

Any word on when the PSX joystick adaptor will be ready for the 5200?

One thing that bugged my about the Coleco hardware, esp. after I tried programming on the ADAM is that it has a 8 pixel color bleed problem.  For example:  Lets say you plot a pixel as color 1 at screen location 0,0  If you were to plot a pixel at screen location 0,5 of color 2, the second point will take the color of the first point.

How Coleco was to get around his in thier games  was beyond me.  Especially the awesome graphic of the planet Jupiter on 2010: Text Adventure for the ADAM

My guess is that they were using different graphic modes thean you were. As covered in my article comparing the systems (http://atarihq.com/5200/cv52/index.html), there are several graphics and text modes on the CV, each with their own limitations and benefits. The "color bleed" you discuss sounds like a feature of the standard mutlicolor text mode, as below...

"The CV's multicolor text mode is what most games for the system use. It consists of a 32x24 grid of characters and uses a set of 256 characters that can be redefined. The way color comes in is a little weird. Each horizontal cluster of 8 characters can contain any two colors, i.e. characters 0-7 have one pair of colors, while 8-15 have another, etc."

To get around this some games would probably use the other mode, which used a larger character set with no color limitations other than only 2 colors on any horizontal line of a character. This was the mode Kevin Horton and I were going to use for our aborted Coleco title. Its drawbacks would be the amount if memory required to store all that graphics data.