IGNORED

ebay frustration!!!!

dinovelvet

OK, I was severely disappointed with an auction I had ending today, I was expecting at least $90 for it, a nice clean system with a stack of boxed games, here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1389640709

Did I do something wrong? Was there some vital information that I forgot to put in and I just missed it, because I just can't figure out why this went so low. This is the worst price I've ever gotten on an Atari. I looked at some completed items and just about fell out of my chair when I saw this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=1389809064

What the f*$! ??? Bare minimum description, a bullshit photo that looks like everything was just tipped out of a box onto the table and it sells for THAT MUCH?! AAAAARGH this is so frustrating. :x And a shamless plug, I have some rare carts (5 on the rarity scale) ending tomorrow...9.99 minimum bid on each, nobody's bid yet. Do my auctions smell or something?! :sad:

Ok, here is the breakdown for you.

One, he ended on a Thursday, you ended on a Sunday. Sunday sees more auctions, so people have more of a variety to bid on.

I Actually do not understand why he got so much, but I can say why you didn't. Though some of your games come boxed and look pretty nice, you aren't offering anything that rare.

I tried selling an Atari complete with 2 joysticks and 50 games for $75.00 and didn't get one bid. I thought that was a good price, but no one wanted it. I think there may have even been a set of driving controllers in the lot. But this was many many months ago, so I can't remember.

Your best bet would have been to put some of the more uncommon boxed games on individually and leave the commons with the lot. You probably would have gotten the same bid but then you would have additional sales from the other boxed games.

The other big deal between your auction and his. $8.00 shipping was his auction, $20.00 shipping was yours. That is always a factor when people are bidding. So technically yours sold for 1/2 the other auction, not 1/3 when you add the shipping costs. My suggestion would have been to say something like, "email your zip code for shipping price".

You can always buy my online MS Word doc on how to create a successful mail order business. I've seen some recommendations on a few posts here and so far only a couple of people have taken me up on it. It's only $3.99. :)

Phil

I hear you, I can't believe Motocross Racer didn't go higher than $22.00,- something is definately wrong with this picture.

Somebody buys a loose Stonghold for over $225.00,- but my Stronghold EPROM doesn't go higher than $78.00,- what the hell ?

:x :roll: :?

That sucks man, I think its just bad luck. Things that should go for $100, somedays go for $50 and other days $150, depends who's looking when and what they are desperate for. I'm usually patiently waiting for good deals on eBay so I don't do too much jumping to make prices higher. Sucks for sellers but I've gotten some nice stuff for cheap, like a boxed Demon Attack for $1 today that should've gone for a little bit more.

By the way, you're auction was well described and nice pictures. I would have bid a little more than $50 if I didn't already have most of those games boxed. I've bid on other systems just to get a few good games but your games and the twenty dollars shipping didn't do it for me. Hope you have better luck next time. I'm also surprised that it didn't go for more.

Ok, here is the breakdown for you.

One, he ended on a Thursday, you ended on a Sunday. Sunday sees more auctions, so people have more of a variety to bid on.

I Actually do not understand why he got so much, but I can say why you didn't. Though some of your games come boxed and look pretty nice, you aren't offering anything that rare.

Well neither was the other seller!

I tried selling an Atari complete with 2 joysticks and 50 games for $75.00 and didn't get one bid. I thought that was a good price, but no one wanted it. I think there may have even been a set of driving controllers in the lot. But this was many many months ago, so I can't remember.

It is a decent price. I would have guessed that would fetch at least $100.

Your best bet would have been to put some of the more uncommon boxed games on individually and leave the commons with the lot. You probably would have gotten the same bid but then you would have additional sales from the other boxed games.

I assumed that games boxed with manuals would attract a lot of bids. Guess I was WAY off on that. I did consider selling some of the boxed games individually, but I looked at completed items and they weren't going for much, $3 or $4 each, decided it wasn't worth it.

The other big deal between your auction and his. $8.00 shipping was his auction, $20.00 shipping was yours. That is always a factor when people are bidding. So technically yours sold for 1/2 the other auction, not 1/3 when you add the shipping costs. My suggestion would have been to say something like, "email your zip code for shipping price".

Yeah $20 shipping does sound like a lot, but it's the truth! I believe in being up front about extra costs, and I guess it cost ME this time. In fact if the winner lives somewhere like Florida or Maine, it's going to be even higher than that. I'm guessing the $8 shipping the other guy quoted was for media mail, there's no other way he can ship it for that low price. Well in the future I guess I'm going to have to "hide" the shipping costs and just give the winner the bad news at the end of the auction :twisted:

You can always buy my online MS Word doc on how to create a successful mail order business. I've seen some recommendations on a few posts here and so far only a couple of people have taken me up on it. It's only $3.99. :)

Thanks for the offer :) But I've been doing the ebay thing for a while, mostly successfully, and this auction I'm hoping was just one freak occurrence.

Well in the future I guess I'm going to have to "hide" the shipping costs and just give the winner the bad news at the end of the auction

I know you were just teasing but I'm much more hesitant to bid if the seller does not let me know how much the shipping will be or doesn't at least state that they will ship for the actual cost.

Let me speak as one who was one of the bidders on the item at hand.

1) Timing. Timing is a big issue. I'd already one two other items this past week and had several more things I was bidding on. That automatically makes me bid less then I would normally.

2) Even with boxes, I don't know that I would pay too much more then the winning bids. As someone else mentioned, most of these games are fairly common. Then again, I speak from a buyer's point-of-view where I'm looking to get it all for nothing. :)

3) As Phil mentioned, the shipping is...well...way too high. On auctions like this, if I bid, I'll bid a way lower amount just because I know the shipping is going to be super high. The highest I've seen anything actually cost to ship to me was just over $13. And that had multiple units, 100+ carts and a bag full of heavy manuals.

Sidebar: I totally disagree with the "E-mail me and I'll tell you how much shipping is." idea. All this tells me is that you're trying to HIDE the cost from me so you can bait me into bidding. You did the correct thing in telling what you were going to charge ahead of time.

Cap

Another vote against the 'email me for shipping costs'. I know it's tricky with all the new zones for priority etc, so I think the best thing I've seen done is to state your zip code and the weight of the items. Then people can just got to ups or usps website and calculate their own shipping. That way you don't have to put $20 shipping right in the auction and you're being honest. Maybe also include a few dollars for handing/materials if needed.

Let me speak as one who was one of the bidders on the item at hand.

Cap! Hello, thanks for bidding, and preventing the price from being even lamer than it turned out to be! ;)

3) As Phil mentioned, the shipping is...well...way too high. On auctions like this, if I bid, I'll bid a way lower amount just because I know the shipping is going to be super high. The highest I've seen anything actually cost to ship to me was just over $13. And that had multiple units, 100+ carts and a bag full of heavy manuals.

I assume the $13 shipping was either media mail, or the seller was in your state or was one state away. Shipping prices are INSANE these days, here are some recent items I've shipped:

Colecovision with 3 games, $17 (Priority)

6 PC joysticks, $18 (parcel post!!!!!!)

2600 with 30 loose games, $22 (Priority).

You did the correct thing in telling what you were going to charge ahead of time.

Not from where I'm standing :|

And to oesii, hi, I sold you a game recently didn't I? Anyway, yes the $20 is Priority, but it would cost $18 and change for 1st class too. I'm considering switching to using media mail for sending out systems in the future if this is how the auctions turn out!!!

Cap

I recently had an auction for sixty unique Atari cartridges for $60, with a Buy It Now bonus for the winner. I quoted $15 as my flat rate shipping cost, and offered to refund the buyer the difference if he chose a cheaper shipping rate. The winner requested priority shipping, which for the weight and the distance ended up costing me $15.15 - so actually, I +lost+ money on shipping for that package. :(

Dude, this is not directed at anybody here, but just a general statement.

I'm kind of glad stuff on ebay fails to meet sellers expectations from time to time. I know a lot of people who think Ebay is a job and try to "clean-up" and "get rich quick" abusing it. Its nice to kick those people in the shorts from time to time.

Plus when things sell low, that means somebody got a good deal on something, and I know how happy that makes me, so I say good for them.

Again, that is not meant for anyone here, but it seemed to be consistent with the topic so I felt it fit. :)

Well, I hope all this information leads to some good strategies on posting shipping charges. Maybe its time to switch to UPS ground likes some sellers are doing, they include tracking and insurance and all their packages right?

Yeah, Dino, I got a 5200 Congo Bongo from you last month and shipping was cheap like $2 or something for a boxed game :)

Dude, this is not directed at anybody here, but just a general statement.

I'm kind of glad stuff on ebay fails to meet sellers expectations from time to time.  I know a lot of people who think Ebay is a job and try to "clean-up" and "get rich quick" abusing it.  Its nice to kick those people in the shorts from time to time.

Plus when things sell low, that means somebody got a good deal on something, and I know how happy that makes me, so I say good for them.

Again, that is not meant for anyone here, but it seemed to be consistent with the topic so I felt it fit.   :)

I know it's not meant for anyone here ;) but some of the people are doing it for a living or at least a large chunk of their supplemental income. I know I wouldn't like it if my employer decided to pay me half of what I'm currently getting in next month's paycheck just to get a good 'buyer's deal'. I'm wagering that would stink for you too Stan :?

dinovelvet....

I have been study at your auction, there is nothing worng with it, but I was suripsed that really supposed to get more money like more than 100.00....now Im talking about your shipping cost $20.00, maybe bit too high? from 13.00 to 15.00 just reasonable that bidder willing to pay for it.

I was fully support your feeling about your auction was unbelievable so low that you seem expected to reach over 100.00. :roll:

I just wondering are you going to re-list like try again? or seem too late??

In answer to the shipping that I got for $13, it wasn't media mail, but rather UPS.

And as a comment to the "NEWBIE (Single Digit Feedback)" comment. So, single digit feedback consitutes a newbie? Hmm...I only have 5 feedback. So does that constitute me a newbie? I don't think so. I'm just very very picky on what I bid on. :)

Cap

It's not only not fair, it's against the rules and you obviously know that considering your excellent feedback.  :D

Yes, true. As for my excellent feedback... another fun ebay anecdote, it's been tarnished this week by a newbie leaving me a neutral because he hadn't gotten his package yet. A package for which I had to pay half the shipping myself because the USPS website gave me an incorrect quote :x :x

Great week for ebay huh...this lame feedback, that weird Motocross Racer thing that wouldn't let me bid, and my bargain bin 2600 auction. Hooray for The Bay! :D

I know it's not meant for anyone here  ;)  but some of the people are doing it for a living or at least a large chunk of their supplemental income.  I know I wouldn't like it if my employer decided to pay me half of what I'm currently getting in next month's paycheck just to get a good 'buyer's deal'.  I'm wagering that would stink for you too Stan  :?

no one should be doing this for a Paycheck, to supplement maybe, to take over as a paycheck heck no. auctions are not sure bets on money as we have noticed. the mataerialistic public is subject to whims so something that'll sell high at one point will sell low a day later. we all hate to see someone sell a rare pacman for a opening bid of 3 bucks. i think this is a problem even on the rarer side of the rarity guide.

And as a comment to the "NEWBIE (Single Digit Feedback)" comment. So, single digit feedback consitutes a newbie? Cap

It was a general statement about low feedback bidders in relation to the second auction Dino mentioned. I count NINE separate NEWBIE bidders with single digit feedbacks, including 3 with ZERO feedbacks and shades. Out of the 27 bids that particular auction got, 23 of them were from these people. They drove this auction up, and I'd attribute that to the reasons I explained above. I've seen it happen many times before, items get much more than they deserve because a few new bidders get into a war.

Sorry cap, as selective as you are, you'd still be a newbie in my book! I'm sure you'd be the exception however! :D

I'd also like to say that as a seller, shipping by UPS is not convenient for me. I can drop off small priority mail boxes at a USPS postal truck that I pass every day on the way in to work. Larger boxes have to go to the post office on the weekend, and if you live across country, it will cost more now than it did before the modified zone system thay put into place. But, I don't think $20 was too much for the shipping on his auction. Perhaps UPS may have been cheaper, but I don't think UPS's service is geared for the small time shipper who doesn't have an account already with them.

I personally do not like to underestimate the shihpping cost - I've done that too many times and lose money that way. If Dino makes another buck or two on the shipping, so what? As long as he packages it well and it gets there in 2 - 3 days, it shouldn't matter too much.

no one should be doing this for a Paycheck, to supplement maybe, to take over as a paycheck heck no. auctions are not sure bets on money as we have noticed. the mataerialistic public is subject to whims so something that'll sell high at one point will sell low a day later. we all hate to see someone sell a rare pacman for a opening bid of 3 bucks. i think this is a problem even on the rarer side of the rarity guide.

Heck, no one should be working in grease pit fast-food places for minimum wage but that's the world we are in. I've talked to and read about several people that do it full-time, and while there are risks it can be done. It's similar to running a used book storefront or mail order business, you just have to know what you are doing to make a living off of it. The boards at www.auctionwatch.com are great for details about people who do eBay fulltime.