IGNORED

Dark Chambers Maps

Mord

Map N.

We're getting close to the Q-T maps now in which the Atari Age magazine review said it could be one of several maps with key objects swapped around.

From my play testing so far, where I load state at the end of Level P, level Q has always been the same Level C over and over again. Objects are very different all the time, but the exit is always in one of 3 places.

So when I get to those 4 maps, I'll change direction and instead of keeping the location of the monster generators etc, I'll edit the map to show all 3 possible exits.

The exits of the maps after that I believe are constant again until Z which is really just a big treasure room.

post-4460-126232088046_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Map 0.

Yikes. I better get crackin on the Q+ levels!

Can anyone confirm whether or not the rehash levels of Q, R, S, and T are indeed constant in what level they rehash (but with randomized exits) or if it's just Standard mode that keeps it constant? To me, by restoring my map P save state continuously and walking into map Q, it looks like map Q is constantly a rehashed map C but with 3 different possible positions for the exit.

post-4460-126304014849_thumb.png

• Like 1

Map P.

Still pondering how best to do the rehash levels. I'm guessing it's always the same rehashed level in Standard mode but with multiple exit locations. I'll play around with it a bit more to see how the keys move about and work something out from there. At the very least I'll show all of the exit locations.

post-4460-126362727538_thumb.png

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's always the same rehashed level in Standard mode but with multiple exit locations.

I guessed wrong. Looks like the random map is working, but it doesn't seem to be chosen randomly when you enter the level. Looks to have some extra variables at work although I'm not 100% certain which. Might even have something to do with how many enemies are left on the map when you leave it - I know I always seem to get rehashed C if there's no monsters left, but if I go and break the heart to let more monsters in, it seems to switch around a bit more... all guesses of course.

I may skip over the rehash levels and do U-Z next so I get a bit more time to think.

I just uploaded the maps to my site. Looking forward to seeing the rest of them. :)

Mitch

Coo. Here's map U. As the map indicates it's showing possible key locations. The exit appears constant, monster placements are random but tends to follow the pattern of lots of wandering monsters in the lower half with monster generators crowding the top half around the key locations and exit. Probably to help crowd monsters around the exit by the time you get up there.

I'll go back to the Q-T maps after I finish with these end-game ones.

post-4460-126418280462_thumb.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to be jumping around like this, but been busy with Soul Reaver this last week or so. :ponder:

So, here's Map Z. It was done a few weeks back since it's meant to be something like a treasure room or prep room so you can hit Expert Mode running.

post-4460-126671587682_thumb.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Starting in on Map R, here's it's F variation.

I would have had two maps to post today but my first attempt at doing F last night resulted in me accidently deleting the map when I was almost finished. The way it got deleted prevented it from even reaching the recycle bin for recovery. :sad: I'll try to have the 3 remaining variations on R next weekend.

post-4460-126743190656_thumb.png

• Like 2

You have no idea how I hunger for an Atari 7800 one-shot full color magazine.

This and the other maps would be perfect content.

I picture it being full of tips, full-color maps, new homebrew reviews, old programmer interviews.

Basically, what "it could have been"; an Atarian issue 4 with a Nintendo-power feel.

Your map-making skills only make me want this magazine more...

-John

I picture it being full of tips, full-color maps, new homebrew reviews, old programmer interviews.

Basically, what "it could have been"; an Atarian issue 4 with a Nintendo-power feel.

-John

I'm just going to keep doing maps as time allows as I find it fun. ;) If anyone decides to attempt such a magazine, I'd be all for it and there wouldn't be any complaint from me about any or all of the maps I make for the 7800 being used in it. :)

-John

I think an fanzine for the 7800 would be awesome! Something along the lines of something every 4 months with a full colour 12 page issue... including so many Dark Chambers maps in each issue to keep people coming back for more. Reviews of every game for the 7800 over time.

I don't think a one-shot would do it justice IMHO. There's just so much stuff out there! If I was good at web design I would make it an online fanzine but I think people prefer the feel of an actual magazine in their hands.

John... think we can start something here with your ideas?

-John

I think an fanzine for the 7800 would be awesome! Something along the lines of something every 4 months with a full colour 12 page issue... including so many Dark Chambers maps in each issue to keep people coming back for more. Reviews of every game for the 7800 over time.

I don't think a one-shot would do it justice IMHO. There's just so much stuff out there! If I was good at web design I would make it an online fanzine but I think people prefer the feel of an actual magazine in their hands.

John... think we can start something here with your ideas?

Someone would have to lead the effort.

I know that honestly, it would not be me. Wanting something vs. producing it... that's entirely different.

At the moment, I think my time would be better spent on finishing up 7800 Arkanoid.

However, if somebody actually was willing to be the go-to person and had some artistic/print skills, then I would be willing to have some level of involvement in a project. But, finding someone to do organize the whole thing-- that's tricky. I definitely don't have the skill set required for such an effort. But as Mord says, my maps are free donations as well.

But, back to the idea-- the reason I suggested a one-shot is since it's a limited community. I wouldn't want someone to be afraid to make monthly or even yearly issues of something; that may be too much that it would scare somebody away.

However, if one issue of a magazine got out, the authors could re-evaluate if they want to do another.

Of course, that's just my 2 cents.

I would guess that if a topic was started in the 7800 forums, it may not go too far. I believe I tried to start a thread just like that during the Scrapyard Dog map timeframe. :)

-John

Someone would have to lead the effort.

I know that honestly, it would not be me. Wanting something vs. producing it... that's entirely different.

At the moment, I think my time would be better spent on finishing up 7800 Arkanoid.

Yes, get back to that.

Situation is similar for me, but if I were to try to lead such a project it'd take 10 years to get done. ;) Plus it'd slow down the actual making of maps!