IGNORED

How long do you think a machine will last?

Kurisu

And after playing that antique record one time, you'll likely store it away safely instead of enjoying it every day, rather than risk damage to it while playing it. After all, the very process of playing it incrementally destroys the record and the player.

If you *really* enjoy the record, you'll probably rip a copy to mp3 and tuck the real deal away for safe keeping.

player = Atari VCS

record = cart

mp3 = rom image

The game dumps are really the important thing, not the device that plays them. That's the way I expect most future people will feel anyway, as they play their VCS games and enjoy their soylent green.

I'll just leave my stuff as is.In my experience,everything I've babied to look nice and last long ended up doing MORE damage,or not lasting any longer than stuff that was neglected.Not trying to discourage and say the various suggestions here wont help,just my honest experience.I also do not see any sense FOR ME anyway, in preserving things for others in the future who will more than likely throw it all in the garbage,or send to the thrift. ;)

Edit.I thought about it and i feel my statement is flawed.Folks who donate to the thrifts keep the collecting cycle going,so that's good.What i really meant was there's no guarantee your gaming hand me downs will be appreciated or not thrown out.Thank god most have the good sense to donate to the thrifts,so the people who do appreciate classic games can enjoy them.

Edited by Rik

And after playing that antique record one time, you'll likely store it away safely instead of enjoying it every day, rather than risk damage to it while playing it. After all, the very process of playing it incrementally destroys the record and the player.

If you *really* enjoy the record, you'll probably rip a copy to mp3 and tuck the real deal away for safe keeping.

player = Atari VCS

record = cart

mp3 = rom image

The game dumps are really the important thing, not the device that plays them. That's the way I expect most future people will feel anyway, as they play their VCS games and enjoy their soylent green.

That's a generally pretty good analogy: accurate in comparison and such, but in my case, I would still every once in a while listen to the record: that is the whole point of it, but if it WAS something I really enjoyed, I certainly would keep copies of it around; as of course everyone who gives half a darn about classic gaming would do.

However, for people like me, the original device, the original items, are the whole point; otherwise, no matter what, it is just a simulation. It's just the particular "type" of collector / historic person I am.

Now of course, if a device is to a point where it is KNOW that playing it would destroy it that instant, then of course one would not be used, but you see my overall point.

Yours, however, again, is absolutely valid and accurate. :D

The great thing is, the info here, on a general sense, is also valid for all the other retro machines, and even still for the machines of today: presuming the moving parts are working on your PS2's, Gamecubes, Saturns, and such

I think whats different about the newer systems is the optical drive (CD/DVD/Blu-Ray), so you were right about the "moving parts" bit. However I think those are really a problem. From my own experiences with audio CD players and PC CD-ROM drives I'd say those won't last much more than 5 years. The other parts of the console propably will (assuming it doesn't RRoD :D), but you'll have to repair and/or replace the drive mechanics and laser in comparatively short intervals.

Maybe someone can confirm this? Some systems, like the original Playstation or the Saturn, are already well past my estimate. What's the likelihood of finding one of those which still works, without needing to repair?

Herbarius,

I have numerous disc-based systems in my collection (incl SegaCD, TG16-CD, Saturns, Dreamcasts, PS1s, PS2s, to the modern systems), and I have yet to lose or have to repair one of these units. I'm sure I'm pretty lucky, and maybe an exception to the rule. I don't actively use these systems often, if that plays into it or not, I don't know.

Just wanted to let you know that some of these older systems you were wondering about are still working fine. :-)

--Timster--

Herbarius,

I have numerous disc-based systems in my collection (incl SegaCD, TG16-CD, Saturns, Dreamcasts, PS1s, PS2s, to the modern systems), and I have yet to lose or have to repair one of these units. I'm sure I'm pretty lucky, and maybe an exception to the rule. I don't actively use these systems often, if that plays into it or not, I don't know.

Just wanted to let you know that some of these older systems you were wondering about are still working fine. :-)

--Timster--

I have seen too many failed disc drawers and CD/DVD spindle motor bearings to be comfortable with the overall life expectancy of these systems. Yes, there are the rare ones that will last for 30 years, but the majority will die early deaths due to the failure of electric motors and mechanical bearings. Old cartridge-based systems will never see that type of mechanical failure so should last vastly longer. Especially if they are sealed in vacuum storage containers.