IGNORED

Diamond OS Club

walter_J64bit

I've just got my hands on the Diamond OS, thanks to Goochman. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Because I'm curious, I like to see who here has the Diamond OS and if anyone has made any applications for the OS like a Screen Saver or calculator program even games that they would like to share with other Diamond users. :cool:

Oh more thing Diamond Car doesn't work with the MyIDE cart. :sad:

Anyone have the Diamond Publish and Diamond Write disks? The copy I sent Walter just had the Paint in it also.

I've got copies of the other apps for Diamond OS from a post here, on the 8-bit forum. I'll repost them.

Diamond Paint.zip

Diamond Startup.zip

Diamond Utilites.zip

Diamond Writer.zip

Edited by walter_J64bit

Yeah it's more of a novelty, than a viable GUI based OS front-end.. Its so limited because of resources and screen space... It worked well to "shut up" the commodore/GEOS guys back in the day though...

Agree. I rented it once from the user's group in Ottawa for a month. It was a really cool novelty but I couldn't find it practical in real life.

Here are some cool things from back in the day:

http://www.atarimagazines.com/v9n2/reeve.html

http://www.atarimuseum.com/articles/diamondgos.html

Reeve Software is still in business:

http://www.reevesoft.com/ShowPage.aspx?page=19&content=Corporate%20History

Edited by DracIsBack

This is for Walter but thought Id share with everyone.

When I had my Diamond cart I set u p a bunch of 720k disks with games on it that I could run from Diamond. It has SpartaDos 3.2g and boots with Diamond.

A kind soul here repaired my XF551 so I went to make an ATR of it - it copied and I can see the disk contents but it wont boot for some reason? I tried it a # of ways with no luck.

Its attached and Ill update if for some reason I get it to boot.

This has some 'S' games on it ;)

DIADSDD80.zip

When I had my Diamond cart I set u p a bunch of 720k disks with games on it that I could run from Diamond. It has SpartaDos 3.2g and boots with Diamond.

A kind soul here repaired my XF551 so I went to make an ATR of it - it copied and I can see the disk contents but it wont boot for some reason? I tried it a # of ways with no luck.

This might be a dumb question, but if you did a file copy, you need to make the disk bootable: BOOT X32G.DOS

This might be a dumb question, but if you did a file copy, you need to make the disk bootable: BOOT X32G.DOS

I did a DUPDSK

My stuff is put away - if someone wants to boot this as D2 with Sparta and do a BOOT command let me know the results!

Cool, Now, I can see how someone else setup Diamond on a disk! Thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i thought I remembered another geos clone for the A8, but it didnt look like this one.

i would assume to make something like this happen for the A8 or the C64 the code would have to have been hella tight.

very neat what people used to be able to do within the constraints of low powered hardware.

Cool, Now, I can see how someone else setup Diamond on a disk! Thanks! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Small update I've was reading the users manual for Diamond Paint, I've found that I have 2 versions of Diamond Paint one that just runs only with the Cart version of Diamond and other is just for the Disk version of Diamond. I've all ready posted the Cart version so there's the Diamond Paint for the Disk version of Diamond. Oh one more thing I'm posting up the Disk version of Diamond too, for the life of me I can't get this version Diamond to setup right, I can't get it take the mouse driver or any other divers. :? :?

Disk based ver of Diamond Paint.zip

Disk based ver of Diamond.zip

Hi Mathy,

Yeah, I spoke many times with Shelly Merrill, talked a big talk and made many promises, he really screwed over Alan Reeve on the whole Diamond deal. I later found out he was also trying to represent Steve {something} from TCS (Total Control Systems) who was boasting about his GUI being far superior to Diamond, but it never materialized. Shelly sent me a free copy of Electronic Receipt Encyclopedia to write a review about, but I never got around to writing a review as I got very heavily involved with Alan and testing debugging Diamond for him, and redoing the icon's for Diamond release 2.1 (I think) where I replaced the file cabinets with XF551 disk drives and redid the garbage can.

Curt

Hello guys

I bought a Diamond GOS cartridge from USA Media. Shelton Merrill, who was the owner of that company, is a criminal. He sent me a rubber check. And IIRC Diamond Paint instead of Diamond Publish which I ordered.

greetings

Mathy

Hi Mathy,

Yeah, I spoke many times with Shelly Merrill, talked a big talk and made many promises, he really screwed over Alan Reeve on the whole Diamond deal. I later found out he was also trying to represent Steve {something} from TCS (Total Control Systems) who was boasting about his GUI being far superior to Diamond, but it never materialized. Shelly sent me a free copy of Electronic Receipt Encyclopedia to write a review about, but I never got around to writing a review as I got very heavily involved with Alan and testing debugging Diamond for him, and redoing the icon's for Diamond release 2.1 (I think) where I replaced the file cabinets with XF551 disk drives and redid the garbage can.

Curt

Hello guys

I bought a Diamond GOS cartridge from USA Media. Shelton Merrill, who was the owner of that company, is a criminal. He sent me a rubber check. And IIRC Diamond Paint instead of Diamond Publish which I ordered.

greetings

Mathy

WOW, what didn't you do for Atari? Are there any Easter Eggs in Diamond and do have any Diamond Software that you can share?

That I don't know, Alan never mentioned any and to be honest, he was cramming a hell of a lot of code into his work, so I'm not sure he ever had time to hide anything. I wish the Tramiels had opted to sell Diamond GOS with the XE's, but when you think about it, that would've made the XE's similar to a low res ST and I'm sure the Tramiels didn't want anything internally competing against their top end systems. I had always hoped that in 1989 for the 10th anniversary of the Atari 8bits, the Tramiels would've done a special edition Mega XE system - just taking the Mega ST case and putting an XE into it and giving it what ever Atari 8bit user dreamed of - a system with a detachable keyboard.... ahhh. to dream :-)

Curt

Hi Mathy,

Curt

Hello guys

greetings

Mathy

WOW, what didn't you do for Atari? Are there any Easter Eggs in Diamond and do have any Diamond Software that you can share?

That I don't know, Alan never mentioned any and to be honest, he was cramming a hell of a lot of code into his work, so I'm not sure he ever had time to hide anything. I wish the Tramiels had opted to sell Diamond GOS with the XE's, but when you think about it, that would've made the XE's similar to a low res ST and I'm sure the Tramiels didn't want anything internally competing against their top end systems. I had always hoped that in 1989 for the 10th anniversary of the Atari 8bits, the Tramiels would've done a special edition Mega XE system - just taking the Mega ST case and putting an XE into it and giving it what ever Atari 8bit user dreamed of - a system with a detachable keyboard.... ahhh. to dream :-)

Curt

Hi Mathy,

Curt

Hello guys

greetings

Mathy

• 1 month later...

I've found a small App for Diamond but I don't know anything about assembler :( so I have noway of trying this out.

Do the cartidges come up for sale on ebay regularly? It would be fun to read and play with this. Have the docs, programming guides been published? As always amazed at how much 8-bit fun I missed out on

I've found a small App for Diamond but I don't know anything about assembler :( so I have noway of trying this out.

Well I cannot code assembler (yet) but I am a coder so reading this it tells me that it is source for the mac/65 assembler..so i have one of those cartridges. It also give the command to assemble the app to an EXE. It also then give some BASIC code to open the EXE from a floppy disk and chop of the first 6 bytes then write it back to make it an accessory.

looks pretty straight forward

Well I cannot code assembler (yet) but I am a coder so reading this it tells me that it is source for the mac/65 assembler..so i have one of those cartridges. It also give the command to assemble the app to an EXE. It also then give some BASIC code to open the EXE from a floppy disk and chop of the first 6 bytes then write it back to make it an accessory.

looks pretty straight forward

Spoke too soon

noticed it is inluding two libraries of Macros. One for the Mac 65 assembler and the other a set of Diamond macros. So no way to get the exe unless you have both