IGNORED

buying new system - xbox or ps2?

angusjake

The answer is easy and obvious. Just by both! Okay..not at the same time, but eventually. That's what I did. I usually wait for the price of the console to come down and then get it. That way, when a game comes out and I want it, I can play it.

Of course you can do like I did and actually buy the games before you even had the console. :)

Cap

Hmm, let's see if I can find 2 cents....(clink)...

OK, I bought both systems on launch (and actually worked on a PS2 project for a bit) and....

I really, really dislike my PS2. Why? Really, really low quality hardware for one thing. In 25 years of playing video games, I have never seen such fragile hardware. I've never broken anything except pretty much every Sony-made controller. My PS2 is completely incapable of playing any DVD movie all the way to the end. When I got it on release it was broken, which brings me to...

Sony support. Had to mail it back to Sony at my expense. They took a month to get me a new unit. Promised me a free game, which turned out to be an ancient PS1 title, then they never actually sent it to me.

Then there's the games. Simply put, they neither look nor play as well on the PS2 as they do on the XBox. Heck, at release I thought the games didn't look any better than the Dreamcast games.

Then there's the games. Who cares of there are hundreds more titles when you're counting NFL 2001, NFL 2002 and NFL 2003 as three titles, or 15 of them are hockey games?

So far I've been nothing but disappointed with the PS2. Last game I bought for it was Spy Hunter, before they announced the XBox port. And yet again I'm disappointed since the PS2 version isn't as good as the XBox version, and has the famous PS2 load time issues.

Game-wise, XBox has the games I want to play, which is important. Lately I've still been playing Project Gotham Racing, as well as the newly acquired Hitman 2. I also got an XBox Live beta kit last week but haven't had time to hook it up yet.

Eric

Jeez, Eric -- how do you handle those controllers? I bought the PS2 shortly after launch, and the original controller's still working without a hitch! For that matter, I still have my original PSX controller from a few years back, and it works like new as well! Go easy on the buttons, compadre. :D

If your unit wasn't working on release, why didn't you just bring it back to where you got it with a receipt and exchange it? Mine's still running like a charm.

I've also never had a problem playing a DVD all the way through. And I've rented a great many, since my girl's a movie freak.

They neither look nor play as well on the PS2 as they do on the XBox.

I disagree utterly.

Game-wise, Xbox has the games I want to play.

Ditto for me and the PS2.

CF

Eric said :

Then there's the games. Simply put, they neither look nor play as well on the PS2 as they do on the XBox. Heck, at release I thought the games didn't look any better than the Dreamcast games.

I 100% agree. All of the games on the Xbox - even the dual port games - are much more fluid. I had my PS2 for about 7 months and never played it because there was nothing interesting. On the other hand, I just picked up my 3rd Xbox because, my gilfriend, our son, and I were always arguing over the Xbox so I got one for each of us :D And, to this day, most PS2 titles still don't look much better than DC titles.

Dollar for dollar, the PS2 is way too expensive. You have to buy accessory after accessory. Multi taps, Network adaptors, memory. and the soon to be harddrive. Where will it end? When you're done, you will have all that the Xbox has out of the box except it's still 2yrs old and outdated. And, it still won't be capable of superior games. Everyone likes/dislikes different games so that will always be a personal opinion, but for me, the PS1/PS2 have had rehash after rehash of so-so games. I hate to think how many "great" games I bought for my PS2 that ended up being some of the most awful looking and playing games I ever owned :x And the load times........

I hate to think how many "great" games I bought for my PS2 that ended up being some of the most awful looking and playing games I ever owned.

You and I have very, very, VERY different tastes. Everything I've ever played on the X-Box (a pal of mine owns a gaming store, so I get a lot of "sneak previews" before things go on sale -- I've tried ALL of the FPSs) -- are MUCH LESS FLUID than on the PS2, not to mention more cumbersome to control -- and all of the textures on the dozens of X-Box games I've tried out look the same, as if some of the early '80s NES designers had a hand in some weird area of graphics ROM or something.

I guess if someone buys into pretty graphics WITHOUT CARING ABOUT THE GAME PLAY, or if someone wants something "cutesy" for his kids, he might like the X-Box. Me, I see right through its selection, like I always do with MicroSoft. Trends, anyone?

I'm a video game player. The X-Box does not, therefore, impress me. That's why I returned mine. I've seen nothing since then to make me regret the return.

CF

You and I have very, very, VERY different tastes. Everything I've ever played on the X-Box (a pal of mine owns a gaming store, so I get a lot of "sneak previews" before things go on sale -- I've tried ALL of the FPSs) -- are MUCH LESS FLUID than on the PS2, not to mention more cumbersome to control -- and all of the textures on the dozens of X-Box games I've tried out look the same, as if some of the early '80s NES designers had a hand in some weird area of graphics ROM or something.

How ???? Halo is SEAMLESS, fluid, and has amazing detail. For the PS2 Deus Ex, is ok, Timesplitters - blah, No One Lives Forever - horrible, and many of the other been there done that FPS on the PS2 all look like crap. I have yet to see any "jaggies" or overlaps in ANY Xbox game. cumbersome control ? Well in your defense, I am sure that you aren't use to accuracy and precision being you play the PS2.

I guess if someone buys into pretty graphics WITHOUT CARING ABOUT THE GAME PLAY, or if someone wants something "cutesy" for his kids, he might like the X-Box.  

If you are implying that to me, try again. I have over 20 different systems and around 1000 games. I play them all. Graphics ARE important. Why is it you always say that they aren't ? People that are PS2 fans will ALWAYS tell you that graphics aren't important for obvious reasons. This is no longer the time to have to settle for mediocre systems. The technology has been here for a while. Sony released the PS2 outdated from the start. Why ? Because people would buy into that. You think I don't care about gameplay ? I do. I want to PLAY the game, not wait for it to load. I want accurate controls, I want to buy the system and not have to accessorize it, I wanna get my $50 worth when I play, I wanna get my $200 worth for the system I buy. Sony cannot provide that for me. You are happy to settle for your PS2, great. I want games I can enjoy, that's why I have the XBox. I am never afraid to get a new Xbox game because I know it will be playable, look good, and I will enjoy it. Even if it's something I normally would not play.I play my PS2 and am looking foward to a few games, but what's coming out on the Xbox is much more appealing to me.

You don't like MS, therefore you will always be biased. I really don't care about who makes what. I enjoy all of my systems to what they are capable of. This thread is about which this dude should get. It's far easier to see how short the PS2 stacks up when against the XBox. If you don't wanna agree, cool. But facts are facts. The PS2 sells more and has more games. I really don't see anymore ways it is superior.

I have yet to see any "jaggies" or overlaps in ANY Xbox game.

You haven't been looking very closely! Jeez!

There are a couple on the PS2 guilty of these, but again, if the game play's great, I don't care about the prettiness of the scenery. Couldn't care less. I play a lot of Adventure on the VCS, for instance. It's all about the GAME, not the GRAPHICS. Do I sound like a broken record yet?

You named two games that you say suck -- and I agree with you. No One Lives Forever was especially terrible. But you're biasing your argument. I could name 15 or 20 that RULE, if you're interested. But you're "biased" yourself, I guess. Believe it or not, I wanted to like the X-Box. I bought it, didn't I? That's hardly a bias. Sure, I didn't keep it long, but that was because it didn't offer me any good games.

cumbersome control ? Well in your defense, I am sure that you aren't use [sic] to accuracy and precision being you play the PS2.

It's okay if our opinions are different. No need to get pissy.

The PS2 controller is the most precise I've ever used. The X-Box controller is sadly lacking. This is my opinion. If the way you play gives you a different opinion, great. But the PS2 controllers are my favorites since the 2600 joysticks.

It doesn't matter how many systems or games you own; I'm not impressed. It's not a possession contest. That doesn't make your opinions any more valid than mine. I could go out and buy all the systems you have, but I wouldn't waste my money like that without knowing that good games were there for me.

I wouldn't take another X-Box -- not even for free. Halo was okay, but too repetitious for me, compared to other FPSs.

CF again again

I said this on the newsgroups and I think it needs to be said again. :P

Look. In about 10-15 years or so, the majority of you are going to OWN and probably be actively collecting for all 3 friggin current systems Xbox, GC, AND PS2 (which of course by then will be ripe for some nice and thrifty game accumulation).... so why argue about it now? :D

I could name 15 or 20 that RULE, if you're interested. But you're "biased" yourself, I guess.

Nope, I'm not biased. Go ahead name em.

It doesn't matter how many systems or games you own; I'm not impressed. It's not a possession contest. That doesn't make your opinions any more valid than mine.

Don't worry, I don't need to impress anyone. I don't really care that much. And I wasn't trying to say my opinions are more valid. I was pointing out that my game likes/dislikes and comparisons are very widespread.

You haven't been looking very closely! Jeez!

Yea I do look very close. They are hooked up with high def pack, composite, s video. Never see em. Which kinda reminds me - PS2 can't support high def games either.

We can go on and on and really I don't mind. I kinda like good debates. But I think you are a lot less particular than me because I wouldn't even be able to find 15-20 good PS2 games period :)

NE146 siad:

Look. In about 10-15 years or so, the majority of you are going to OWN and probably be actively collecting for all 3 friggin current systems Xbox, GC, AND PS2 (which of course by then will be ripe for some nice and thrifty game accumulation).... so why argue about it now?

Yea, I know you are right, but until another cool thread starts, it kinda gives me and Chris something to do :P

And by the way, Contra is awesome !!!!

I wouldn't take another X-Box -- not even for free. Halo was okay, but too repetitious for me, compared to other FPSs.  

Halo is ok in story mode. Except for the last two levels that become extremely repetitve. But, the best thing about Halo is multiplayer. Playing multiplayer with a lot of people on a network is awesome.

Ohh yea, compared to what other FPS's that have a story mode for PS2?

bassicaly I'll just add my two bits and leave quietly, I think that the XBOX is far Technically the most advanced system, even beating the GC. Also I feel that the conectivity availible "out-of-box" for the XBOX is far supiour to that of the GC or PS2 where you'll have to buy ADD-ONs. on the other hand, PS2 dose have the game library to rock the XBOX. think of it like the 2600 vs. CoLeCoVision. the COLECO had the awsome specs and graphics, but the 2600 had the game variety and selection to rock the COLECO. Now, who here owns a 2600 and not a COLECO, there will be some who dont but the greater portion will own one. (what I'm trying to get at here, as you may be wondering) is that you sould end up owning all three, the XBOX, the PS2 and the GC. not all in one paycheck but still with the prices as low as they are now, you really have no excuse not owning all of them by the end of the year, or at least in to the next. I as yet do not own any of the "new" systems but have just personally made the decission to get them, what now with the low prices I feel that I can. and I seggest all do the same, and appreciate each system for what it is and stop bickering over which one is best, because now, do any of us argue over the 2600 or COLECOvision? I think not.

You're right (your last sentence), but Starscream and I have an agreement whereby we have friendly arguments about this, just for fun. :)

It's true, I'm not as "technically" particular as you (it seems), especially regarding graphics. I like a good game. I don't care how close to real-life the wall-edges and character faces look. If I want real life, I'll rent a movie. (Or take a walk.) I guess realism doesn't impress me as much as good game mechanics and principles. For instance, I'll play 2600 Adventure until the cows come home. (Until the ducks come home?)

If you really want a list of my favorite PSX/PS2 titles, here are all the ones I can think of at the moment, without being at home to list my library:

Arcade's Greatest Hits: Williams (PSX)

Atari Anniversary Redux (PSX)

Colony Wars (PSX)

Colony Wars III: Red Sun (PSX)

Doom (PS2)

Final Doom (PS2)

Deus Ex (PS2)

Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown (PSX)

Duke Nukem: Time To Kill (PSX)

Duke Nukem: Land of the Babes (PSX)

Half-Life (PS2)

Hitman 2 (PS2)

Iron Soldier III (PSX)

Medal of Honor (PSX)

Medal of Honor: Underground (PSX)

Medal of Honor: Frontline (PS2)

Namco Museum I (PSX)

Red Faction (PS2)

Syphon Filter I (PSX)

Syphon Filter II (PSX)

Syphon Filter III (PSX)

Twisted Metal Black (PS2)

There are more, but just those games alone make me think of the X-Box's "technical superiority" as completely irrelevant.

I buy a system because of the games themselves. Noticeable pixellation or whatever doesn't bother me. It doesn't bother me on the original Robotron: 2084, it doesn't bother me when I'm writing a C-64 game, it doesn't bother me in my favorite Jaguar games, and it certainly doesn't bother me in modern consoles just because I'm supposed to be trendy and have the best CPU. I'm a GAMER. I go for my favorite types of games. They're just lacking on the X-Box.

CF

Yea, that's a pretty decent list. I would say Devil May Cry, Contra, and maybe Ico are about the only killer games on the PS2. Oh and Red Faction 2. Yea, I am picky but if all of the console makers release new systems say every 5 yrs, they all claim that games are better, graphics are better, blah, blah, blah. Well, I for one expect that - in all areas including gameplay, graphics, sound.............Believe me, graphics aren't all I care about. One of my all time favs is WCW NWO World tour for the Nintendo 64. Looks like shit, but plays awesome. Now , JSRF for the Xbox looks awesome, plays awesome, has killer music so why shouldn't I be able to have that in all of my games? I mean, why do corners have to be cut? As long as people buy crap, they'll make crap. It's not the console manufactures faults, but I kinda like how MS has a guideline setup for all developers now. They don't want crap made for the system. Not saying it won't happen, but it is a step in the right direction. Hell, Halo was a release game over a yr ago and it is still amazing but some of the new games blow it away. That's the way it should be. Sony doesn't care what's made or how good it is and it shows. And nobody can deny that.

After owning a JAP DC with over 100 titles i can honestly say the PS2 was and is possibly the most overated machine of all time.

Sony lied through their teeth before launch of what the machine can handle. Sony is really just a name, a label on cheap Asian parts. Soughtta like Nike.

Some FPS's on the PS2 are pretty good, All except for soldier of fortune i think, And lets not forget GTA3 which i think is the best game of all time. But regardless of the large range of titles the majority are not really next Gen Material.

The GameCube and Xbox on the other hand shine of Next Gen titles, Even on launch dates.

My choice has been all 3, But the PS2 lived a short life.

After owning a JAP DC with over 100 titles i can honestly say the PS2 was and is possibly the most overated machine of all time.

aint that the truth. The Dreamcast is a kickass machine, blows the ps2 away - just because it doesnt have a dvd player doesnt mean shit. Soul Calibur kicks Tekkens ass any day,

Sony lied through their teeth before launch of what the machine can handle. Sony is really just a name, a label on cheap Asian parts. Soughtta like Nike.  

Yea, I remember when Sony claimed that the PS2 was so powerful that games could only be made for it by using a PS2. Yea right. The Dreamcast can seriosly give this system a run for its money. DC has twice the VRAM and an extremely efficient graphics chipset.

thats so stupid! why would a system so slow (233Mhz) be so fast as to be nessasery to program on the PS2 itself! ahh alas the crappy PS2 I dont know what to do should I spend the money on the PS2? I have the money, or should I buy two XBOXs hmm... i like that idea. two XBOXs maybe... hmm...

thats so stupid! why would a system so slow (233Mhz) be so fast as to be nessasery to program on the PS2 itself! ahh alas the crappy PS2 I dont know what to do should I spend the money on the PS2? I have the money, or should I buy two XBOXs hmm... i like that idea. two XBOXs maybe... hmm...

Your close but the systems main processor runs at 294mhz. I would definitely go with a XBOX if I were in your postion and skip over the PS2. If you do get two XBOX's then you should hook them up in a network for multiplayer HALO, Unreal Championship, DOOM, Timesplitters, etc.