IGNORED

Suspicious ebay activity?

flashjazzcat

(two XLs and three XEs), but my self-justification for buying - as a collector - at the moment is the shape of the vintage computer market. You don't need to work on the Antiques Roadshow to see that now is a good time to buy: prices are low (a point which my previous eBay seller should have realized) and most people are anxious to turn goods into cash. Quite how I explain this to my wife, I don't yet know. She may not appreciate these shrewd investment decisions when two large boxes turn up at the door and we're dangerously close to dipping into the overdraft again...

I'll just tell her what ThomSW said about English women and then leap enthusiastically to her defence. Funnily enough, she's part French anyway. :)

you have some glaring holes in that collection, a 400,800 and 1200xl would be a good start:P

The cheeky bastard; I never imagined he'd have the nerve to relist it.

I too will ask about the loft hatch... Although you know, you could have just sent me the memory upgrade you had and then you wouldn't need a machine to put it in ;-)

[EDIT]

"How much would shipping to the USA (Zip code 46220) be?

Also there appears to be a crush mark on the box edge, this hasn't recently fallen out of a loft has it?"

Edited by orpheuswaking

Here's what I sent:

Hi there! I'm very interested in this auction and am quite interested in purchasing this system! However I notice the corner of the box is slightly crumpled; has this item been dropped recently? Doesn't look like from a very high place, a loft in your house would likely be the culprit. So has this item been dropped from a loft recently?

Just sent him this:

Hi, I'm really interested in the item but have one concern. Given the age of these units they are prone to damage. You haven't dropped this from the hatch of your loft recently have you? Thanks!

Cheeky get, I'd report him to eBay (not that it would do any good mind). :x

Cheeky get, I'd report him to eBay (not that it would do any good mind). :x

Yeah, you can't leave fb obviously since the old transaction was cancelled, but I'd at least report him. It might not do any good, but it's worth a try to get him caught. Odds are against you but sometimes ebay does respond to messages/complaints.

If you give the item number of the old listing, clearly showing it's the same item, and quote his message about the damage, there's at least some chance they could act on it. Hopefully his message was sent through the ebay system, so they'll have a record of that as well.

Is it possible to file a non-performing-seller dispute? I'm guessing not, but if you can then that's the thing to do.

In reply to:

Hi. I've had 2 computers repaired. It is the same one. It's cost me to have them sorted but they're back up for auction.

I've just sent him this:

Hi,

Wow – someone did an amazing job fixing the "significant damage to the box and contents" you described in a previous email (kept on record). It looks absolutely identical to the "mint" computer I bid on twelve days ago. You must have spent more getting it fixed than you could hope to earn by selling it!

Seriously, though, the first thing I recommend you do is urgently amend the listing (before it's reported to eBay as misrepresentative) and take new photos, since this item can no longer be described as "mint" and in "brand new condition" if it's had repair work done on it. And if it escapes another drop from the loft hatch, there's a good chance it will end up in the hands of a serious Atari collector (likely for even less than I paid for it first time around), who will easily establish what it has and hasn't had done to it.

If, of course, it wasn't damaged in the first place (not that I'm calling into question for one second the incredible series of events you've sketchily and evasively described so far), you'll probably be obliged to take a hammer to it before sending it the next poor soul who places a winning bid. Assuming you ever send it, that is: presumably if it fetches less than fifty quid this time (in its repaired state), it'll mysteriously catch fire or accidentally fall out of the window and straight under the wheels of a passing car. Not to worry, though: I'm sure the technical wizard who's already fixed it up once will be able to reassemble the shattered parts a second time.

Of course, as an Atari enthusiast and an eternal optimist, I may well place the winning bid once again! Natural disasters permitting, I'd be really intrigued to see what I end up with.

Regards

Jon

Sadly it had to go directly to his email, since it was too long for the ebay messenger service.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Beamer320i, I have never received an XF551 bought from you five years ago (£39.01 + £24.90 shipping), you never sent me a proof of expedition, you replied to my emails in an evasive manner and you have the cheek to post in this topic?

I expect that one day "loft hatch" ebayer will become an AA member and will blame other ebayers behaviours...

Alas, poor philsan....

Just for your information I have just sold an Atari 65XE to flashjazzcat who was very happy with the service I provided (packing, delivery and quality of Atari) Your grieveance is not warranted as I detailed in earlier posts, please stop following me with your vendetta and let this forum be used in the way that it is meant. If you still feel you have any valid points to make, I invite you to email me personally to stop this unecessary tirade of yours. You bought an item 5 years ago, I posted it to the address supplied. End of.

You have some glaring holes in that collection. A 400, 800 and 1200xl would be a good start.

While the 400 and 800 don't appeal to me so much, I always wanted a 1200XL. But surely they're NTSC only? Would be useless here in the UK??

The 1200XL is certainly not useless in the UK. Many modern TVs are dual standard and will show NTSC without problems. Obviously you run into the same issues as some of the US folks do with some European software but the 1200 is a fantastic machine with arguably the best keyboard Atari ever used. I use mine often and would pick up another without hesitation.

Alas, poor philsan....

Just for your information I have just sold an Atari 65XE to flashjazzcat who was very happy with the service I provided (packing, delivery and quality of Atari) Your grieveance is not warranted as I detailed in earlier posts, please stop following me with your vendetta and let this forum be used in the way that it is meant. If you still feel you have any valid points to make, I invite you to email me personally to stop this unecessary tirade of yours. You bought an item 5 years ago, I posted it to the address supplied. End of.

First of all, keep "poor" adjective for yourself.

You have received the money (£63.91), I have received nothing.

As you have written, you "posted the item to the address supplied. End of".

The problem is exactly in the words "end of".

After posting item, you have done nothing at all.

I have received nothing: no proof of expedition, no expedition date, nothing at all, only repetitive meaningless emails.

June 20

"your drive has been sent,i shall make enquiries,meanwhile please let me know when it arrives"

June 28

"I will check again at post office tomorrow and let you know!"

July 18

"I am suprised you have not had delivered the disk drive,i check my post office tomorrow again and also the compensation if item is lost."

July 28

"I am awaiting the result of said investigation,if this is not satisfactory then i am prepared to ship you my own personal xf551 as a gesture of good will at my expense"

I am still waiting the result of your post office's investigations!

At the time International standard Royal Mail offered customers up to £150 compensation for loss.

I hope you didn't get a compensation for loss in addition to my money!

Furthermore, without any detail about shipping, how could I have done investigations to try to find the parcel?

I replied (July 28)

"Ok, if your drive is in the same conditions of the one that I won, I accept

your offer, but there is a problem; if within friday 20 august I haven't

received a disk drive or my money back, I shall be obliged to file the Ebay

claim (it must be filed within 90 days of the listing's end)."

You replied (July 29)

"Of course you can take whatever action you want,please be aware i am also filing a report and keeping ebay notified of your emails.I want to obtain proof that you have not received the item before i resend another,as is my right as advised."

Nonsense and rude email: I have waited 90 days, I have politely written that I haven't received the item won, you always replied the same thing (I will check post office) and you wrote that you are keeping ebay notified of my emails?

What was the problem with my emails? Complete nonsense!

Then you stopped replying to my emails.

Flashjazzcat is satisfied? I don't think you would make problems to a member of your new forum!

Others are not so happy, like is written in the last negative you received 5 months ago: "faulty item seller would not help and no reply to emails? ebay refunded me".

It seems you don't like to reply to emails...

You really sent the drive? OK.

Mail has lost it? OK, altough I never had this problem so far, I know this can sometimes happen.

But why you have done nothing to seek my drive, to have the refund by Royal Mail?

Why didn't you give me any informations about shipping?

Why did you stop replying to my emails?

Everyone can make a mistake.

Perhaps at the time you previously had problems with other ebayers so you didn't judge correctly the facts.

If you admit your fault, for me it's OK.

Some poor bidder has asked about postage to Italy, and Mr Green is bending over backwards to accomodate! This is making me sick. If only our questions would show up!

I was pissed when the question didn't show - I thought they all automatically showed up.

Stephen Anderson

Some poor bidder has asked about postage to Italy, and Mr Green is bending over backwards to accomodate! This is making me sick. If only our questions would show up!

I was pissed when the question didn't show - I thought they all automatically showed up.

Stephen Anderson

I think as the seller you have the option to show a question on the listing when you reply. I haven't had a reply yet (strange ;) ) has anyone else?

The Italian postal service is notorious. Most sellers won't even ship there. Maybe justice will be served in a roundabout way.

Check his feedback - looks like he pulled the same stunt on a Sunnyvale VCS auction. I wonder if that console fell from the same loft.

He apparently wants more than 52 pounds for it.

Edited by gdement

The Italian postal service is notorious. Most sellers won't even ship there. Maybe justice will be served in a roundabout way.

Check his feedback - looks like he pulled the same stunt on a Sunnyvale VCS auction. I wonder if that console fell from the same loft.

He apparently wants more than 52 pounds for it.

I have seen one seller regularly put stuff on at inflated prices. 520STFMs for £90 BIN but with a Best Offer option - they then go for around £60. If you hang around long enough and are in no hurry then someone will come along. After all, it only costs around £3.50 - £5 to list most items for a year on eBay.

My friend "Davidskoff" sent the seller this yesterday:

"Could you please provide a photograph of the actual computer in it's current condition. Thank you."

Dave

This was the reply:

Dear davidskoff,

The computer has had a repair but is in the same condition.

No new parts were required. Just existing parts reconnected

(in the electrical sense). I'm not an electrics boff but it's

working perfectly now. Thanks for a genuine question. I so

understand the odds of what happened happening but what

am I to do. I was considering offering it to the original buyer

plus the repair cost but after a string of messages from his

associates. I wouldn't sell it him for £3k. Check out my

feedback!

- gingreen1

Why FFS can't he provide a photo when asked????

Edited by flashjazzcat