IGNORED

FailSafe (7800) - WIP

PacManPlus

Hi Guys:

As promised, here is the WIP of FailSafe (Countermeasure II) for the 7800. As stated, this is a Work-In-Progress, but is fully playable. There are two things (at least) that I need to finish up before I can consider this for release:

- The addition of PowerUps (all for a length of time)

a) Speed Boost

b) Shot Distance (only the player's shot)

c) Invincibility

d) Freeze Enemies

- Sound / Tunes

I think the difficulty might have to be played with as well, it might be too hard currently even on the easiest setting.

The idea of the game is that you are a tank on enemy grounds trying to prevent the launch of missiles that will basically destroy the world.

The main goal of the game is to a) Get access to the launch code, and b) reach the missile silo to enter the code and stop the missiles from launching. The code is made up of four hexadecimal digits (0-9, and A-F).

In this game, the object for each level is to reach the opposite end of the level. For the first 5 levels, once you make contact with the Depo you will receive a random position of the code. It is possible to get the same position more than once. On the sixth level, once you reach the missile, you must enter the code as quickly as possible using the joystick, and press the button to see if it is accepted. If it is, you have saved the day, and the game begins on a harder level. If you don't enter the correct code before the impact.... well, you'll see. ;)

There are 5 types of enemies that will try and stop you:

1 - PillBoxes: These are the easy ones. They only rotate and do not move. They fire at you when pointing in your general direction.

2 - Jeeps: They come at you, firing constantly. Luckily, they are fairly slow.

3 - Cruize Missiles: These heat-seeking missiles aim for you. They do not fire, but choose to fly into you instead. Luckily, there aren't too many of them... until the 6th level.

4 - Vertical Stationary Plant - As the name implies, they only shoot vertically (but can rarely shoot in other directions) they always aim up or down, so you must be careful when passing them above or below.

5 - Human Fighter: They usually hide behind bunkers, and try to shoot at you from around the corners. They also constantly shoot but are very slow. Their small relative size makes them difficult to hit.

The bottom of the screen shows the tank fuel, and it decreases slowly. Once it is exhausted, your tank explodes (like the original Countermeasure). The top left of the screen show the number of tanks left, and the rop right shows the current level.

Let me know what you think of it and how the difficulty is. (and of course if you find any bugs).

Please note - it does not look like there will be High Score Cart support for this. I am running out of room as it is, and I know that the sound data will take up quite a bit of room.

Again, I'd like to thank jwierer for his excellent level / enemy editor that I used throughout making this game.

Thanks!

Bob

post-1787-125955224544_thumb.png

post-1787-125955224932_thumb.png

post-1787-125955225582_thumb.png

post-1787-125955225993_thumb.png

post-1787-125955226361_thumb.png

post-1787-125955226815_thumb.png

post-1787-125955227258_thumb.png

Hi Bob!

Just played the game, I really like it a lot!! The difficulty was good for me so far, but as I only played it on the novice level and it seemed plenty hard at that so maybe the difficulty should be toned down a bit. I'll keep playing and give feedback on higher difficulty settings.

Keep up the great work and please consider me for a cartridge whenever it is ready, I will certainly purchase one!!

AdeptRapier

:)

** EDIT **

I just played the update and it is GREAT! You were correct, the powerups REALLY add a lot to the game and change the strategy immensely for me. I feel that they really even out the difficulty over the original version you posted.

Excellent job!

AdeptRapier

Edited by AdeptRapier

Thanks guys!

I was thinking of two changes I might make:

1. Keeping each enemy a specific color (like the original) instead of somewhat 'random'. That effect happened accidentally and I liked it so I kept it. Not sure which way to go on this.

2. I think I should make it 60 seconds to key in the Launch Code instead of 30. The original was 15, although you only had 3 letters and 3 positions to choose from. This one you have 16 letters and 4 positions to choose from.

What do you guys think?

Also, other than those two things, I think we ready for a release candidate?

Thanks,

Bob

1. I guess I'd have to see the change in the way the enemies are colored to know which I'd prefer. I think either way you decide will look good.

2. I like the idea of more time to input the code. Maybe if someone wanted less time they could flip one of the difficulty switches?

Thanks guys!

I was thinking of two changes I might make:

1. Keeping each enemy a specific color (like the original) instead of somewhat 'random'. That effect happened accidentally and I liked it so I kept it. Not sure which way to go on this.

2. I think I should make it 60 seconds to key in the Launch Code instead of 30. The original was 15, although you only had 3 letters and 3 positions to choose from. This one you have 16 letters and 4 positions to choose from.

What do you guys think?

Also, other than those two things, I think we ready for a release candidate?

Thanks,

Bob

Are these things that could be "options" from either the main menu or from the difficulty switches? It was always cool to have lots of games variations with the older Atari console games and it seems that maybe you could continue that "tradition" this way?

Hey, one other thing that occurred to me, have you considered adding some kind of "armor" or "shield" rating to the tank? I don't know if this would be something that you might consider, but what if the tank could get hit once or twice before it exploded? This might add another element of strategy to the game where you might be more willing to take a chance to go after a gun when you had armor versus being more cautious after the armor was gone. You could make the armor rating another selectable option or game setting, or you could even make it dependent on which difficulty level you start the game in. Possibly you could "repair" lost armor between levels or with powerups, etc.

Just a thought, but either way, the game totally rocks!!

AdeptRapier

Edited by AdeptRapier

Thanks!

To answer the questions:

@TrekMD: I could give that a try, but what were you thinking of - higher / lower pitch? or different sounds altogether?

@KevinMos3 / AdeptRapier: That's a good idea, maybe the left difficulty switch could have the timer be 30 sec or 60 sec as A or B, respectively

As far as the colors, I think I'm going to keep the multi colored enemies. I was thiking about all 'Pillboxes' be the same color, and all 'Jeeps' be the same color, etc, but I think it's more colorful this way with the earth-toned backgrounds.

Regarding the difficulty: even though the difficulty has been a little more evened out because of the powerups, I think one of the major issues with the difficulty is the diagonal shot from the enemies. The seem to last longer than horizontal / vertical shots and I will try to address that. Another thing is the Cruize Missile. They get pretty nasty as you get toward the end - I may slow them down a bit (haven't decided yet).

Bob

To answer the questions:

@TrekMD: I could give that a try, but what were you thinking of - higher / lower pitch? or different sounds altogether?

I guess I was thinking that depending on the power up there could be higher pitched sounds (ie, if one gets speed, a higher pitch sound for the tank) or a different sound for other power ups (ie, freezing the turrets, a clicking sound or something of the sort).

I hope this helps!

Ok guys - Here is Release Candidate 1

Things changed:

- Left Difficulty Switch: Length of time to guess Launch Code (B/Left = 60 seconds, A/Right = 30 seconds)

- Right Difficulty Switch: Starting Lives (B/Left = 5 Lives, A/Right = 3 Lives)

- Enemy diagonal shots distance evened out with horizontal / vertical. As a result, diagonal shots are a bit slower.

- Player Vertical shot distance evened out with horizontal / vertical. As a result, the player has a bit of a further shot distance vertically than the enemy.

- Cruise Missiles slowed down for the first 8 heats (8 successful launch preventions). They then go back to their normal fast speed.

- Player is awarded 10,000 points for saving the world :)

I think these tip the scales a little more to the player.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,

Bob

*EDIT* Hold it, I found a bug. It seems that every once in a while the 'beach' level (level 3) has no enemies until the very last column. Don't know when or why this started happening. Will be looking into this.

FAILSAFE.zip

Ok guys - Here is Release Candidate 1

Things changed:

- Left Difficulty Switch: Length of time to guess Launch Code (B/Left = 60 seconds, A/Right = 30 seconds)

- Right Difficulty Switch: Starting Lives (B/Left = 5 Lives, A/Right = 3 Lives)

- Enemy diagonal shots distance evened out with horizontal / vertical. As a result, diagonal shots are a bit slower.

- Player Vertical shot distance evened out with horizontal / vertical. As a result, the player has a bit of a further shot distance vertically than the enemy.

- Cruise Missiles slowed down for the first 8 heats (8 successful launch preventions). They then go back to their normal fast speed.

- Player is awarded 10,000 points for saving the world :)

I think these tip the scales a little more to the player.

Thanks,

Bob

*EDIT* Hold it, I found a bug. It seems that every once in a while the 'beach' level (level 3) has no enemies until the very last column. Don't know when or why this started happening. Will be looking into this.

Hi Bob!

I just tried the latest version and it was, I think, almost perfect. If I could make one last suggestion? I think that if, after you get killed, only the particular gun that killed you should disappear. Currently every gun on the screen disappears when you "respawn" and you start on an enemy free field. It would make the game more challenging if the other on screen enemies remained and only the particular one that killed you disappeared. I personally think that the game is a "bit" too easy with all the enemies vanishing, but that is just my input. Either way, I REALLY love this game and once again, thanks for taking the time to program it, it is appreciated!

Why is it that whatever game YOU happening to be working on at the time always becomes my favorite 7800 game to play????? I have a copy of "Bioshock" sitting on the shelf next to me and instead I'm spending all my time playing "Failsafe".

Too Cool!!!

AdeptRapier

This game is really looking up. It's a lot of fun. I have just four words though... DARN those cruise missiles!

Personally, I like how all the enemies are removed from the screen when you die, but that's because I'm still not that great at it. I finally finished beginner, but I had to use save states on the last level because of all the cruise missiles. (I'm not complaining -- I'll just have to work at it).

Thanks, guys... at least this game has three fans ;)

I found the "no enemy" bug I mentioned earlier.

So, I have two things to look at (both will be somewhat difficult):

- Changing the tank sounds during powerups (difficult because of the way I am deciding which tank sound to play - there are 4: Idle, Through trees/buildings, Through Water, and Open field).

- Only removing the enemy that shot you (difficult because I actually don't know which enemy it was at the point that the player is exploding - that is actually why I removed them all). I originally planned to only remove that enemy, but changed my mind when I found this out. :)

I'll be back! :)

@KevinMos3: I actually had more Cruise Missiles originally - I removed half of them! :)

Bob

EDIT - Actually, I remember another reason why I removed all enemies from the screen after you are killed; there are situations where more than one moving enemy (Cruize Missile, Jeep, Fighter, etc.) Could be either in your vicinity, or aiming directly at you even though you are killed by another. This would cause you to get killed immediately upon re-entry.

Believe it or not, this happens more often that you think (I saw this while developing). So, I think I'm going to leave it as removing all enemies once you are killed - it also gives you a short 'breather' in a somewhat difficult game.

Hey Bob,

Looking fantastic. I had a chance to play it it bit in the past couple of days. I agree with you about getting rid of the enemies when you get killed.

I think this game came out real nice. It has a nice balance of playability, challenge, and the desire to continue on. Plus it kind of throws you off a bit when you think you can fly through it. Then you start taking more chances and then boom, your dead. All good games have that.

Allan

Thanks Allan... and that makes 4 :D

I should have another RC tonight - TrekMD, I met you 1/4 of the way with the tank sounds. The only one that made sense to me to alter is the 'Speed Up' power up. It will have a higher revving pitch. I hope this is ok.

Thanks, guys

Bob

I should have another RC tonight - TrekMD, I met you 1/4 of the way with the tank sounds. The only one that made sense to me to alter is the 'Speed Up' power up. It will have a higher revving pitch. I hope this is ok.

Bob, that is quite ok. Thanks for considering my recommendation and making some of it real! :cool: That is quite cool.

Hi Guys:

RC2 here:

- When the tank gets the 'Speed' power up, the engine revs up higher.

- Fixed the 'No enemies on level 3' bug.

Thanks,

Bob

Hey Bob!

I think I might have discovered a small bug in the game. I was playing level one and was at the end of the level, where you destroy the two stationary guns and then cross the bridge (?) to complete the level, and after destroying a gun I was given the "speed up" power up, and while the power up was active, the bridge (?) would not register my tank to end the level. I tried crossing back and forth over it and nothing, but after the power up was over and my tank returned to regular speed, I again drove over the bridge and the level ended normally.

Just wanted to bring this to your attention!

Otherwise, loving the game, it's great!!

AdeptRapier

I spent a couple of hours trying to get MESS working on my Mac so I could play this. No luck!

So I'll just have to sit by the sidelines here and eagerly anticipate this coming out. Thank you for all your hard work, PacManPlus! And thanks to the playtesters as well! :thumbsup:

Edited to add:

Is this a one- or two-button game?

Edited by Ransom

I spent a couple of hours trying to get MESS working on my Mac so I could play this. No luck!

So I'll just have to sit by the sidelines here and eagerly anticipate this coming out. Thank you for all your hard work, PacManPlus! And thanks to the playtesters as well! :thumbsup:

Edited to add:

Is this a one- or two-button game?

Hi Ransom!

I'm, using MacMess on may MacPro to play these games, what problem are you having..I'll help you get it sorted out.

AdeptRapier

I'm using an old PowerPC Mac. I use MacMESS 0.101 and it plays the FAILSAFE.A78 file just fine. Can you play any other 7800 ROMs?

I'm just trying to get MacMESS set up. I have no clue where to put anything, or how to load a cartridge. I have MAME running just fine, and have for years, but MESS has always baffled me.

I have SDLMess 0.132 and MessMenu 0.7, as well as the 7800 OS (NTSC) from this website. Oh, and Failsafe.A78 of course. But now what?

Edited to Add:

I finally got it set up! FailSafe is a great game. I'm having a lot of fun. I can't wait 'till there's a cart!

Edited by Ransom