IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

Wow! Looks great, man!

It looks like you have lots of cycles to spare to be able to show the contents of the window while dragging, if a user is equipped with the accelerator. It would be a nice option.

Thanks for all of the great work, over the years. This project is a real work of art!

Thanks. It's already taken longer than Michelangelo's initial frescoes on the Sistine Chapel ceiling. :D

Full window drag will definitely be an option. In fact we already tested it at 1.7MHz somewhere in this thread and it worked OK, although naturally window dragging looks a little prettier at 20MHz. Blitter code runs in RAM so Rapidus is able to blit at accelerated speed.

• Like 4

I saw BOSS-X on Beetle's 1200XL @14 MHz .. it ran perfectly using the Joystick Driver. I coded it the way it will run @14 MHz as it should be: GUI animations and effects still run perfectly synced with the VBI as fast as @2 MHz, but everything else is incredibly fast.

• Like 2

Still need to write that guide... ;)

Anyway, just took this shaky video of the GOS running under Rapidus at 20MHz since I realized it's one thing I haven't even done since I got Rapidus installed:

Just moving the graphics driver into RAM has made all the difference to performance under acceleration, since all the code on the cart ROM is throttled. Aside from the snappier redraws and some kernel operations (such as memory allocation) taking less time, there's no real "look and feel" difference between this and the same version running at 1.7MHz. Apart from a glitch in the profiler (keen eyes will notice crap in the App list) which also affects 6502C mode (I guess I introduced the bug when testing MADS' "empty block" segment generation), everything works perfectly.

Am I reading your blog correctly that the requirements for running this are a 130xe, a cart with the OS, and a mouse? No modifications?

So what requirements are needed to load the GUI.xex?

I have my U1mb .. set to 1088 rambo.. but when I try and load the GUI.xex from d1: in sparta.. I get nothing but a jumble on the screen. using the Hispeed OS..

Do I need to run the XE rom?

James

So what requirements are needed to load the GUI.xex?

I have my U1mb .. set to 1088 rambo.. but when I try and load the GUI.xex from d1: in sparta.. I get nothing but a jumble on the screen. using the Hispeed OS..

Do I need to run the XE rom?

If memory serves, the old (and deprecated) XEX demos had a aggressively low load addresses. Running from DOS is unlikely to be successful. Some boot loader (AspeQt, RespeQt, SIO2SD) or XEX loader menu is more likely to work.

WizWor, on 03 Jul 2016 - 01:30 AM, said:

Am I reading your blog correctly that the requirements for running this are a 130xe, a cart with the OS, and a mouse? No modifications?

snapback.png

Exactly so.

Awesome! This will be a must-have for me when it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure the performance boost would be quite so noticeable even if (say) mouse movement could generate an IRQ. The Pokey timer interrupt (which polls the port) is dispatched first in the IRQ handler, and bails out within a few machine cycles if no mouse movement has occurred.

That's not to say mouse handling couldn't be more efficient with different hardware, but I would not expect to notice a big difference.

• Like 2

My next project will be a mouse board which will compliment this GUI. Thinking of going USB on this one, so that wireless mice will finally be a true reality on the A8.

- Michael

Every Amiga or ST adaptor, I have seen so far is PS/2 based.. I am using my TT-018 Logitech trackball.. and it works fantastic!!! it is USB.. but corded and can use a PS/2 adaptor.. so all is ps/2 compliant for the device.

Being able to use my current wireless trackball would be better :)

I had my GUI running the other day.. loving that Jotter ;) and boy could I monitor what was running .. little elbow in the ribs.. lol ;)

James

Edited by Bikerbob

"My next project will be a mouse board which will compliment this GUI. Thinking of going USB on this one, so that wireless mice will finally be a true reality on the A8."

- Michael

you'd cater to st/amiga club as well!

for this GUI it'd be nice to have a less time comsuming, PC style mouse (with coordinates to read, not looking up blinking bits).

Yes it could be used on an ST, and with an optional setting, Amiga as well.

Since it will be emulating an ST mouse communicating through the joystick port, there would be no difference to the GUI as written. However the acceleration aspects would likely be adjustable, same as done on some of the PS/2-to-ST mouse adapters already out there.

I'm not sure the performance boost would be quite so noticeable even if (say) mouse movement could generate an IRQ. The Pokey timer interrupt (which polls the port) is dispatched first in the IRQ handler, and bails out within a few machine cycles if no mouse movement has occurred.

That's not to say mouse handling couldn't be more efficient with different hardware, but I would not expect to notice a big difference.

As I pointed out, the only thing that may or may not influence mouse movement with your GUI, will possibly be different acceleration curves that will be possible with what I am proposing vs a standard ST mouse.

- Michael

• Like 1

Every Amiga or ST adaptor, I have seen so far is PS/2 based.. I am using my TT-018 Logitech trackball.. and it works fantastic!!! it is USB.. but corded and can use a PS/2 adaptor.. so all is ps/2 compliant for the device.

Being able to use my current wireless trackball would be better :)

I had my GUI running the other day.. loving that Jotter ;) and boy could I monitor what was running .. little elbow in the ribs.. lol ;)

James

Having 'true' USB mouse input opens it up to all of the great wireless mouse (or trackball) possibilities out there. And in my opinion when choosing between having a wireless keyboard or a wireless mouse, I would go for the mouse each and every time. A mouse having to drag its tail tends to not be as smooth.

- Michael

As I pointed out, the only thing that may or may not influence mouse movement with your GUI, will possibly be different acceleration curves that will be possible with what I am proposing vs a standard ST mouse.

Yes: I was really addressing later remarks about the polling being time-consuming. It will be interesting to see how hardware acceleration curves affect the already present software acceleration (which I guess will eventually be adjustable; currently a specified number of consecutive moves doubles up the movement speed).

Yes: I was really addressing later remarks about the polling being time-consuming. It will be interesting to see how hardware acceleration curves affect the already present software acceleration (which I guess will eventually be adjustable; currently a specified number of consecutive moves doubles up the movement speed).

Well I'll certainly find out, since your software will be the main test bed for what I'll be doing :).

• 5 weeks later...