IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

this is project of 10 years..

I hope the GUI is still in development 20 - 30 years from now. That will mean it hasn't faded into oblivion. :)

The rest is up to developers. I'm committed to having a platform ready by this time next year. API specs should be published in six months. That's not to say things won't constantly change and improve; a system like this will probably never be "finished". Look at SpartaDOS X...

• Like 1

this is project of 10 years..

I hope the GUI is still in development 20 - 30 years from now. That will mean it hasn't faded into oblivion. :)

The rest is up to developers. I'm committed to having a platform ready by this time next year. API specs should be published in six months. That's not to say things won't constantly change and improve; a system like this will probably never be "finished". Look at SpartaDOS X...

Hi kids! Hi Pee Wee! Today we're gonna learn a fun song... well, at least I think it's a fun song, haha, well anyway, it's a little ditty called the "

", and I'm sure that once you've heard it once, it will be looping in your head FOREVER, on days like this, so come on, sing along!
  • Like 1

Hi kids! Hi Pee Wee! Today we're gonna learn a fun song... well, at least I think it's a fun song, haha, well anyway, it's a little ditty called the "

", and I'm sure that once you've heard it once, it will be looping in your head FOREVER, on days like this, so come on, sing along!

Wrong thread. Try the SpartaDOS X MyIDE driver topic. :)

Wrong thread. Try the SpartaDOS X MyIDE driver topic. :)

"In Soviet Playhouse, you don't program GUI, GUI program you."

- Comrade Herman

= )

I so can't wait for flashjazzcat to finish this GUI project and I hope many people offer generous donations to him when he releases the programme for us Atari Users. He's worked so hard on this project and deserves a lot of credit.

Good luck with working on it over this weekend Jon - I hope you get a decent amount done with no disruptions :)

post-28818-0-78433700-1308937657_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rachel-Emma

I so can't wait for flashjazzcat to finish this GUI project and I hope many people offer generous donations to him when he releases the programme for us Atari Users. He's worked so hard on this project and deserves a lot of credit.

Good luck with working on it over this weekend Jon - I hope you get a decent amount done with no disruptions :)

Thanks Rachel. Unfortunately my bit on the SIDE will consume a large portion of my time. :)

He just has to make api for A8 Appstore ;)

Let's hope there's something on the shelves.

I'm waiting on Amiga mouse support so I can try it on my 65XE with the Boing! mouse. :)

I'll get that sorted ASAP.

Here's something I stumbled (or re-stumbled, as Nabokov might say) upon yesterday:

post-21964-0-90029100-1309168749_thumb.png

post-21964-0-28425700-1309168749_thumb.png

This was a David Sullivan project from the mid to late eighties. I could only get it running with SpartaDOS 3.x:

goedemo.zip

Judging by the notes, there was a lot of argy-bargy about copyright, freeloading, piracy, etc, etc, and the UI leaves one under no uncertainty as to the origin of the code. This is the most recent demo I could locate. The windows appear to be static (like GEOS), and the and the mouse-pointer is a (very flickery) soft-sprite. These old GUI systems all appear to be wearing lead boots, however. :)

I sent all my toys away for the moment, so I only have FJC updates to look forward to.

What were they thinking back then? A logo is one thing, but with so little usable space - to have a 12-pixel bar occupying the bottom of the screen with copyright info is a waste of valuable space.

If I'd known that when I was in school, the entire bottom half of each page of every composition would have my logo, copyright, and disclaimer info across the bottom of each page.

I sent all my toys away for the moment, so I only have FJC updates to look forward to.

Gotta get SIDE finished first, but nearly done then I'll be right back on it. Can't wait. :)

What were they thinking back then? A logo is one thing, but with so little usable space - to have a 12-pixel bar occupying the bottom of the screen with copyright info is a waste of valuable space.

I understood this was normal practice in the US... :D

But seriously, I hope this was just a feature of the demo (or was intended to be dropped, in any case, given that the thing appears never to have been finished). As I mentioned before, the text files in one of the GOE demo releases suggest the author had a lot of beef with "pirates".

• 2 weeks later...

You know, some people say that the british have an accent? The canadians are pretty much american, except they pronounce a few words differently, like "aboot"? Was there ever a british keyboard that you know of? I've been trying to find it for years, keep asking about it, but no one seems have the first clue. Then there are all these imitators around the planet, like the middle east people. Who do they look to for guidance? Us? You? The devil? Well, you keep doing what you're doing, see where it gets you. By the way, are you at all interested in music?

So next thing to do is to write a text editor, and maybe a clock. You will need a multitasking OS to make this all work.. Hopefully everything will be clipped properly in assembler, that way it's as fast as possible, so we can get back to the past when things were better.

Yeah, generally you find cool people around obsurd things like the 6502 assembly language. Things like that have become ways to find interesting people. Hell, you never know who you're talking to. I myself am a holder of the Earth's greatest physical science theory, ie "Push Gravity" and the greatest blunder in human history.

I myself am a holder of the Earth's greatest physical science theory, ie "Push Gravity" and the greatest blunder in human history.

That's cool, I am a brain too. But there are so many things you could apply your life to... what good is the science unless there is practical application?

I myself am a holder of - a Korean BEER! :D

post-27823-0-18136400-1310710335_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

So next thing to do is to write a text editor, and maybe a clock. You will need a multitasking OS to make this all work.. Hopefully everything will be clipped properly in assembler, that way it's as fast as possible, so we can get back to the past when things were better.

I'm not writing a multitasking OS in the first instance. That's been said about a dozen times elsewhere in this thread. This doesn't mean there won't be a clock. In addition, the next thing to do is not to write a text editor. There's about six months' work to do before that happens.

So even these attempts to get "back on topic" aren't especially helpful. As for the other entirely irrelevant posts... well, they make a long thread just that little bit more difficult to navigate. Thanks for that!

I'm busy with other pressing stuff, as I have a right to be right now, and this thread will light up again just as soon as I or someone else has something useful to say regarding this project.

• Like 3

I don't know if this would help at all (maybe someone already said this or you have already fixed mouse problems even), and maybe this is entering the realm of too much extra hardware, but for the mouse routine, you could implement a hardware decoder that utilizes digital potentiometers and the paddle inputs on a joystick port so that the quadrature decoding would not have to be done in software. this would also give absolute coordinates for the mouse instead of relative coordinates which would mean you might not need to "calculate" the new coordinates. of course due to the way paddles are read on the atari, this may take more time than decoding the mouse in software. Nevertheless it is my idea on ways to make this gui better.(possibly)

Edited by Joey Z

I don't know if this would help at all (maybe someone already said this or you have already fixed mouse problems even), and maybe this is entering the realm of too much extra hardware, but for the mouse routine, you could implement a hardware decoder that utilizes digital potentiometers and the paddle inputs on a joystick port so that the quadrature decoding would not have to be done in software. this would also give absolute coordinates for the mouse instead of relative coordinates which would mean you might not need to "calculate" the new coordinates. of course due to the way paddles are read on the atari, this may take more time than decoding the mouse in software. Nevertheless it is my idea on ways to make this gui better.(possibly)

You just described the 5200 trackball. :)