IGNORED

New GUI for the Atari 8-bit

flashjazzcat

One thing I hate about the Amiga OS versions I've used is the right-click activation of the menu bar.

But you can quickly select items with only one click.

This is true. I only disliked the behaviour's reliance on the right mouse button since I have grown accustomed to the Windows-style usage. I don't recall feeling that way when I first used an Amiga in around 1992. :)

Yes "Achromatic Desktop" or "AchroDesk" or "AchrOS"...

Nice suggestions - thanks!

Edited by flashjazzcat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwIAjB99ucw&feature=channel_video_title

Well here's a video on the "Blit Terminal..." An early windows style OS using Unix.Obviously a model for the Window style operating systems to follow a few years later for home version computers.

NICE (!!!)

Well, it seems that some key folks on this thread have a real opportunity to RE-WRITE history, at least for Atari, and make justice, for once and all, to its true potential and all of what it was wasted during years of mis-management and incompetence.

I do hope that FujiX (or FJC-GUI or whatever it is called) is brought to fruition, and I do not mind if it happens in incremental, sequential steps, bit by bit. My cash would be on it.

Cheers,

F.

NICE (!!!)

Well, it seems that some key folks on this thread have a real opportunity to RE-WRITE history, at least for Atari, and make justice, for once and all, to its true potential and all of what it was wasted during years of mis-management and incompetence.

I do hope that FujiX (or FJC-GUI or whatever it is called) is brought to fruition, and I do not mind if it happens in incremental, sequential steps, bit by bit. My cash would be on it.

If something as good as I hope this is going to be was written in the mid-eighties, I doubt it would have done the ST launch any favours (heh - I can almost hear the chattering keyboards over at Format War as I speak...).

Do not worry: this project will be completed, in just the way previous projects have reached fruition: incrementally, as you say, and to the highest standard possible.

FCJ: Ok, so if your system works with message queues, you're funnelling everything through a switch statement, which is what Windows does. The problem with that is then every widget is peeking the message queue, weather the message is intended for it or something else, which is a waste. You can clip (or cull) the messages you send to individual widgets ahead of time, of course. So, therefore, just invoking the proper callback of the widget in question is a more direct way, I guess. Of course, then you're just moving the clipping logic up the ladder, and handling it in the system as opposed to user space. The thing is, in user space, you're duplicating the culling, although it's somewhat cleaner conceptually...

I finally ran across the Window software for the Tandy CoCo3.

It's advertised in the December 1990 issue of THE RAINBOW on page 71.

Quote from the ad:

"Window Master V3.0

The Ultimate User Friendly Point & Click operating environment for your CoCo 3.

Simple enough even for children to use, just point and click to run programs,

select files, do disk or file maintenance or almostany task you currently do by typing commands.

You also get things like a print spooler, Programmable Function Keys, a Buffered Keyboard, Ramdisk,

Serial I/O port and Deluxe Pak support along with Windows, Icons, Buttons, Pull Down Menus,

Edit Fields and Mouse functions all in one program. It has multiple fonts in

54 possible sizes and styles, Enhanced Basic Editing and much much more.

It add over 50 commands and Functions to Basic to fully support the Point & Click System

without the need for OS9.

It is completely compatible with existing Basic programs and takes absolutely no memory

away from Basic. It requires 1 Disk Drive, R.S hires interface & joystick or Mouse.

Includes 128 & 512K versions for only $69.95.

"

Then they also offer "Window - Ware", programs written for the windows interface.

A word processor, A Basic Compiler that supports the new window commands, editor/assembler, Font/icon editors, a windowed version of the game Concentration, and a Desk Accessory Pak. The last item "Installs up to 7 resident D.A. programs, including: Font & icon Editors, Function Keys, Terminal program, Graphics Editor & Calendar and more"

The picture on the ad shows a menu bar at the top, a drop down menu, overlapping windows, and a desktop with disk icons. The windows have scroll bars with arrows, a title bar, close gadget, etc...

The company that sold it was CER-COMP Ltd. They had been selling Basic compilers, disassemblers, editor assemblers, etc... for the CoCo for years. I think they also sold a lot of software for the FLEX and OS-9 operating systems.

Quote from the ad:

"Window Master V3.0

The Ultimate User Friendly Point & Click operating environment for your CoCo 3.

Simple enough even for children to use, just point and click to run programs,

select files, do disk or file maintenance or almostany task you currently do by typing commands.

You also get things like a print spooler, Programmable Function Keys, a Buffered Keyboard, Ramdisk,

Serial I/O port and Deluxe Pak support along with Windows, Icons, Buttons, Pull Down Menus,

Edit Fields and Mouse functions all in one program. It has multiple fonts in

54 possible sizes and styles, Enhanced Basic Editing and much much more.

It add over 50 commands and Functions to Basic to fully support the Point & Click System

without the need for OS9.

It is completely compatible with existing Basic programs and takes absolutely no memory

away from Basic. It requires 1 Disk Drive, R.S hires interface & joystick or Mouse.

Includes 128 & 512K versions for only $69.95.

"

Then they also offer "Window - Ware", programs written for the windows interface.

A word processor, A Basic Compiler that supports the new window commands, editor/assembler, Font/icon editors, a windowed version of the game Concentration, and a Desk Accessory Pak. The last item "Installs up to 7 resident D.A. programs, including: Font & icon Editors, Function Keys, Terminal program, Graphics Editor & Calendar and more"

The picture on the ad shows a menu bar at the top, a drop down menu, overlapping windows, and a desktop with disk icons. The windows have scroll bars with arrows, a title bar, close gadget, etc...

The company that sold it was CER-COMP Ltd. They had been selling Basic compilers, disassemblers, editor assemblers, etc... for the CoCo for years. I think they also sold a lot of software for the FLEX and OS-9 operating systems.

I didn't realize they had one available for Disk BASIC. I knew about Multi-Vue for OS-9 on the CoCo, though.

EDIT: If anyone wants screenshots of Multi-Vue, there are three at the bottom of this page:

http://www.nitros9.org/screens.html

Edited by jmetal88

<snip>

I didn't realize they had one available for Disk BASIC. I knew about Multi-Vue for OS-9 on the CoCo, though.

EDIT: If anyone wants screenshots of Multi-Vue, there are three at the bottom of this page:

http://www.nitros9.org/screens.html

Well, Window Master was a 3rd party program and I don't think many people purchased it let alone wrote software for it.

I think the first version of the software actually came out for the CoCo 1/2 but I can't be sure.

It's too bad Tandy didn't sell it and the BASIC compiler direct. It might have gotten a lot of support.

<edit>

After some searching, I think Window Master was CoCo3 only and was originally released in 1988.

Here is the announcement copied from the Delphi CoCo forums (with sample Basic program): Link

An ad for Window Master: Link

Edited by JamesD

Been trying to get that to run on a CoCo emulator, with no success.

You need a patched disk image so the copy protection isn't a problem and it requires proper emulation of the hi-res joystick/mouse adapter.

Here's one that's supposedly been patched, but I haven't been able to try it out yet. I have a 512k CoCo 3 I'll be trying this on sometime, but I need to build myself either a high-res adapter or the PIC-based PS/2 mouse interface first.

EDIT: Forgot the link!

ftp://maltedmedia.com/coco/NEWLY-RECEIVED/WindowMaster2_21.zip

Edited by jmetal88

I was trying to get the Dragon 64 version to work, actually. The stumbling block was DragonDOS not recognizing the disk image (I had originally downloaded the Dragon build).

Can you suggest a good CoCo emulator, or better still send me your whole setup? I get stressed out looking for support ROMs, etc. :D

I was trying to get the Dragon 64 version to work, actually. The stumbling block was DragonDOS not recognizing the disk image (I had originally downloaded the Dragon build).

Can you suggest a good CoCo emulator, or better still send me your whole setup? I get stressed out looking for support ROMs, etc. :D

Try this emulator.

I don't think VCC emulates the hi-res mouse/joystick adapter.

<edit>

The mouse emulation clearly doesn't support a hi-res adapter.

You can bring up a demo:

LOAD"GFXDEMO

Also try:

RUN"FINDER

If you get stuck you can use Soft Reset [F5].

It will bring all windows back to the command line.

To close a window type WINDOW CLOSE

<edit>

I don't think there is a full OS, just the API calls

Edited by JamesD

I finally got the mouse to work in MESS. It requires going into the configuration menu to set up the driver options, and selecting a hi-res joystick adapter on the right-hand port. Interesting little GUI. I'm trying to find a working copy of Window Writer to run on it, but I'm not meeting with much success there.