IGNORED

Anybody using Atari 8-bit for anything productive?

Mr.Amiga500

I've been trying to think of things I can use my 800XL for. I have plenty of games, of course, but I also want to find some other uses for it - uses that are at least (semi) practical. I've got Amigas and other computers that can do everything the 800XL can do (and far better), but the 800XL is the only computer connected to my TV in my living room and I thought I might as well try to do something useful with it. (and the 800XL has a reasonably short boot time)

I've got The Last Word for writing stuff, Calendar for appointments/to do stuff, and I just found a very nice little spreadsheet, Syncalc. Now I'm wondering... what else? Does anybody actually use their Ataris for anything practical? Is there anything left that is actually useful on an Atari 8-bit in 2009/2010? If so, what and with what programs?

I've been trying to think of things I can use my 800XL for. I have plenty of games, of course, but I also want to find some other uses for it - uses that are at least (semi) practical. I've got Amigas and other computers that can do everything the 800XL can do (and far better), but the 800XL is the only computer connected to my TV in my living room and I thought I might as well try to do something useful with it. (and the 800XL has a reasonably short boot time)

I've got The Last Word for writing stuff, Calendar for appointments/to do stuff, and I just found a very nice little spreadsheet, Syncalc. Now I'm wondering... what else? Does anybody actually use their Ataris for anything practical? Is there anything left that is actually useful on an Atari 8-bit in 2009/2010? If so, what and with what programs?

Well, not sure how useful it is, but I hit the Tuesday night telnet chat with my 130XE. Have only missed 2 or 3 in the past few years. I have a Lantronix UDS-10, but APE is much more convenient. Ice-T XE 2.72 is the term program.

I also still do some coding on the machine using TurboBasic XL. Have to admit - I do all my assembly coding on the PC though. MUCH easier to debug in the emulator.

Stephen Anderson

I use my 1200XL for check writing on an HP 4MP laser printer. I wrote a simple BASIC (BasicXL, actually, but nothing that Atari Basic couldn't do) program that uses PCL5 commands to select fonts and place the characters where I want them on each check. It isn't a real timesaver for normal checks, but it's a lifesaver for those "Donald R. White, Tax Collector, Alameda County" or "One Thousand Seven Hundred Eighty Five and no/100s" check fields.

Plus, they look nice.

I'm thinking about expanding into labels and envelopes, in as much as Word seems to be bent on making something that was once useful into dog p**p. I have so much better control over what happens on the page with the Atari.

I suppose it's fair to say that anything that doesn't have an existing, specific, workable solution on the PC gets tried on the Atari first.

Bob

The only two tasks I've done recently are:

Text editing and writing. Actually would enjoy running the last word. I will one of these days.

And TV test / alignment.

Ataris are pretty decent for this! Doesn't take much in BASIC to just write up the screen display you need. The 16 greys can be drawn as grey, or any of the three primary colors.

Simple character graphics make good convergence patterns.

A coupla pokes gets you wide DMA, making for a great border adjustment where you set the size of the TV display to capture as much of the frame as possible, and make sure it's linear when you do it.

The greys are good for color drive linearity as well. Ramping up each color, over the range of the TV, where the colors are not linear, means some greys being pink, blue, etc... These are easily seen with a full screen filled with a few nice grey ramps.

Anyway, I've done it for years. Works great, and it's a great conversation piece. Hook up the computer, actually write up a program, then run it, and it's just kind of retro cool.

There is a computer store in London, ON....that is where I actually got my first 800XL...way back in 1984 that still uses the a 130XE for the cash register/inventory management and printing receipts. I'm always amazed when I go in there that they still use it. The shop owner says if it ain't broke.....

They only sell PC's these days....but they used to be an Atari/Commodore shop.

I actually do still keep recipes using Home Filing Manager.

(See, all those articles from the 80s were right -- you really can justify owning a computer by using it to file recipes.)

Edited by Ransom

I actually do still keep recipes using Home Filing Manager.

(See, all those articles from the 80s were right -- you really can justify owning a computer by using it to file recipes.)

Recipes! That's an excellent idea. I can see my TV from the kitchen and the Atari has large lettering so I'd be able to read it from that distance. Thanks for the idea. :)

I'll check out that Home Filing Manager.

There is a computer store in London, ON....that is where I actually got my first 800XL...way back in 1984 that still uses the a 130XE for the cash register/inventory management and printing receipts. I'm always amazed when I go in there that they still use it. The shop owner says if it ain't broke.....

They only sell PC's these days....but they used to be an Atari/Commodore shop.

Fascinating. That's the first I've heard of any business still using 8-bit computers. There's a bowling alley in Ridgetown, Ontario that still uses an Amiga 4000 for all the displays (they kindly gave me their "dead" A4000) and I've seen lots of Mac SE computers used as registers, but certainly no 8-bits. (home computers, that is - I'm sure there are plenty of 8-bit dedicated cash registers out there)

The electronic control board in my dishwasher went out.. And it costs like $120.00 for a new one.. The Dishwasher, iteslf cost about $700.00 to replace.. I have the service manual for it, and it lists precise timing for every event that gets triggered in each cycle (eg. vent solenoid, wash/rinse/drain motor actuation, etc.)..

I am seriously considering wiring a 600XL up to control it.. I have tested the control board, and all the relays and driver circuits are good.. Its just the microsprocessor and custom logic that has apparently gone bad.. So it would be pretty easy, using the exsiting electronics, to hook an atari up to control it.. It would need a total of about 6 digital outputs.. Could use a "second PIA" for it.. I asked my wife if she would mind using a screen/menu type system to conrol the dishwasher, and she thought it was a kewl idea.. So..

The electronic control board in my dishwasher went out.. And it costs like $120.00 for a new one.. The Dishwasher, iteslf cost about $700.00 to replace.. I have the service manual for it, and it lists precise timing for every event that gets triggered in each cycle (eg. vent solenoid, wash/rinse/drain motor actuation, etc.)..

I am seriously considering wiring a 600XL up to control it.. I have tested the control board, and all the relays and driver circuits are good.. Its just the microsprocessor and custom logic that has apparently gone bad.. So it would be pretty easy, using the exsiting electronics, to hook an atari up to control it.. It would need a total of about 6 digital outputs.. Could use a "second PIA" for it.. I asked my wife if she would mind using a screen/menu type system to conrol the dishwasher, and she thought it was a kewl idea.. So..

If you do this, deffo post up a write up and pictures. That would be cool as hell. Wonder how hard it would be to get one of those LCD touch screens working?

That is just plain bad a$$. Post pics if you get this going!

Stephen Anderson

I've been wanting to use my Ataris for useful work too. Because 99% of my computer time is spent on the internet, I'm (soon hoping to) use one as a terminal for e-mail reading and maybe a little web use w/ lynx. I've also thought about using a text editor for recording things, I don't know, any useful record or notes on projects, phone numbers, etc. I also would love to find the A8 version of a PrintMaster Plus that we used to have on the ST when I was a kid. I really want to start making my own greeting cards on the computer again, dot matrix printer and all :)

I am seriously considering wiring a 600XL up to control it..

That's awesome. I wish I had the skills (and time) to modify all the boring modern electronics in my house and make them into interesting retro artefacts. I believe the term is "steampunk" but I prefer to call it something like "future retro". (the word "steampunk" reminds me of a head-banging punk with pink hair in a steam bath)

Maybe I'd connect a rotary phone dialer to the microwave (dial the time) and put it in a polished wood case.... oh yeah - with brass dials and a small blue vector display... but now I'm getting carried away. ;)

I suppose I could fairly easily put a slot-loading DVD player into an Atari 1050 (keeping it looking like a stock 1050 externally) and connect it to my TV.

When my kids went to elementary school they needed to remember a PIN # to buy lunch. I broke out the CX-85 and wrote a basic program to allow them to practice adding the code.

Sound and color included for right and wrong choices ;)

That's cool. Quite possibly the best use of a numeric keypad I've ever heard of. :)

I use my atari everyday..

I use it as a telnet box, IRC box, and also use it as a backdoor to my bbs.

I use it as a synthesizer/drum machine for some ofmy songs.. in conjunction with mypc for mixing

I use it as a visual meditation device with colourspace and alittle bit of herbage.

I use it as a wardialing machine to check my phone lines and bbs dialup lines.. i also used to use it when i worked at first alliance to test out dialup banks... (circa 1997)

I use it as a programming coding machine... usually just basic..but 20 years later im still getting better at asm..

I use it as a gaming system...

I use it. alot.

power without the price!

might be sound dumb ... but yes: for programming.

Because, for a short problem, I just decline to start up my PC, load Eclipse, NetBeans, SharpDevelop, or whatever and I also decline to write a program in C with vim and compile it with gcc.

I prefer to start my Atari, write sometimes just one line of code and solved my problem - whatever it is and whatever took at least 10 lines of code in any other environment.

I generally use my 8bit to write with, using mainly The Last Word now, but on occasion I'll fire up Cut & Paste or PaperClip for I seem to have a lot of text written with them. Ghost Editor is another one I use on occasion as well; the proportional spaced font mixed with a nice tune for the reader is something I'm especially fond of. I'm also still a big fan of Homecard for storing recipes, odd notes, addresses and such. I use the database in MiniOffice for small data collating.

Other than that, it's pretty much just games when I fire up my wee grey dinosaur. Due to my workload, it seems I have no time to code, something I miss for sure. So I just continue to write. Now where did I leave my Moleskine... :)

Edited by dwhyte

I generally use my 8bit to write with, using mainly The Last Word now, but on occasion I'll fire up Cut & Paste or PaperClip for I seem to have a lot of text written with them. Ghost

I always forget about Cut & Paste but I bought that one back in the 80's... I think I still have it somewhere.

BACK TO TOPIC: I lke to program on my a8 - utils mostly. Occasionally, I play with BBS programs.

Edited by bf2k+

That's not a true statement that Amigas and other computers can do everything 800XL can do far better. Just from the top of my head, Ataris have faster joystick ports (far faster) than Amiga and other PC (going by standard joystick ports), Ataris boot faster than Amiga and PC (via cartridges or even disk based), and many programs on Atari don't exist on Amiga.

I use Ataris, amigas, and PCs for useful stuff; games usually are played on Atari for fast set up time.

I'm working on a project for a local factory which reads the status/quantities/priorities of pending orders from their inventory system, and uses an Atari 600XL to parse and display the information on large-screen TVs on the production floor. The display will be controlled by a simple BASIC program, running in graphics mode 1 or 2, which will read the report file from a virtual disk drive via SIO2PC and format it for the TV. I'm building a mockup with static text first; if the customer likes the way it looks, I'll build the complete system.

Beyond that, I've put together two XEGS systems with MyIDE interfaces for my niece and nephew (7 and 5 years old, respectively) as their first computers. They'll be playing games on them, of course, but they also like writing with AtariWriter Plus and using the light pen for drawing, and I'm also going to get them started next year on typing and programming lessons. I made a disk-based version of Atari's Touch Typing tutor for them, and will probably start them with programming on Atari Logo (since I don't want them to pick up any bad habits from old line-numbered BASIC ;)).

Jaybird, that's great stuff. Also the kind of thing I'm moving toward with the Propeller. It's about the same scale.

The idea of having them do some LOGO programming is a good one! LOGO is an excellent first language effort where the concept of programming is not to diluted with cruft you have to know before doing anything. Good call there.

My first exposure to programming was BASIC, LOGO then PASCAL, with assembly code mixed in there all over the place. LOGO was really fun and productive.

I've been using mine (in fact all of my retro computers) to re-learn some programming languages. My usual job as a writer (and occasional voice-actor) has me living a rather nebulous lifestyle, but learning structured programming (again) is really helping me focus and approach a lot in life in a more logical way. Think of it as therapy, I guess, without having to pay big bucks to lie on someone's couch and ramble about my problems... :)