IGNORED

New Year´s Disc 2010

pps

Ok, just sent our (MaPa & PG) little entry. The idea came too late, just two days ago so it's quick and dirty work. It should have been better, maybe some other time :) The idea is not new but I hope it's a little better (more complicated) than I ever saw. Enjoy.

Just noticed it works ok only in PAL, in NTSC not enough time in one frame (again as usual) so the intro will get slower at certain point, at least the music, the motion has correct speed it seems but more coarse. Sorry, get a PAL ATARi or watch in emu :)

PMSL. He sent me an email saying he hoped I get it at the right time.

Problem is, I don't think he's accounted for Daylight Savings... already almost 1AM here 2nd Jan.

Thats right, I didn´t have that in mind, since we got last two days about 20cm fresh snow in Berlin - so DST is far from mind :o

Anyway, it´s time for release now - why, hmmm I´m ready just in time ;)

Hope you all have fun with it - even it´s for some of us not 1.1.2010 anymore...

NYD_2010.zip

Edited by pps

Is there anywhere to download the previous NYD versions?

Several ones :)

• Somewhere within this forum
  • at pouet.net you can find the 2009 edition too
  • at my homepage: www.ppsberlin.de (all but 2010, have to redesign the whole site - the cms version is old and sucks)

Happy New Year to everyone.

@Thelen

We really should start NOW for our new production on the NYD for 2011 :D

Greetings to all from Marius "Inspiration-Soft" 1976

Hmm, that is a nice idea ;) But thrust me, every year I had this "coding feeling" at xmas holidays and even, if I had planned, I did nothing accross the year for this collection. Most times I did my stuff just before deadline :o

@bf2k+: I managed to get the actual edition onto my still not updated old cms - so there you can find all NYD for download: ppsberlin.de dl section

Even at fandal's site there are the New Years Discs archived too.

Hi everybody,

Really cool to see all those entries. I really didn't expect so many people to participate.

Note on the nice HIRES slideshow: Boot with BASIC and RUN "D:MAIN.BAS".

If you don't have at least 128K you may wonder what is special (like I did first picking the wrong XL).

But when you run it on a machine with a memory extension which support separate CPU/ANTIC access you'll see nice results.

@peter.dell

What an incredible cool intro did you guys produce! I really really REALLY love it.

I have a brother in law who sometimes really p*ss-on my beloved atari 8bit, but I'm sure he will appreciate your colorful rainbow-from-mars thing. Incredible. I know atari 8bit can do a lot of things. And I remember your toilet-demo at the JHV 2002... (Am I right it was you who wrote that rotating toilet demo?)

But man, this is fabulous.

Thanks.

Marius

p.s. I love that bitplane thing too ... very cool work. And the dancing snowman looks good to me too. I'd almost say: hey guys you understand how to create Inspiration-Soft quality ;) (joke)

1) What an incredible cool intro did you guys produce! I

2) And I remember your toilet-demo at the JHV 2002... (Am I right it was you who wrote that rotating toilet demo?)

Hi Marius,

1) Thanks. Actually this is technically neither very adanced nor complicated. The design of the transparency cross fader for the top logo and the sync with the music took most of the time. It started as party place production at the HomeCon 3 where I wanted to show all the C64 guys, what I can put togehter in a few hours with my IDE. The hard part was to make it load (and return) under normal DOS, that's where FOX's inflate routine came into play. For some strange reason I gave myself the limit of $4000 for the thingy, so it had to rework some parts later. Since there have been requests, I'll try to enable it also for NTSC.

2) You mean this one here: http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=51419. Yes it was done by me and my wife makes fun of me whenever possible since ever since the day I released it. Maybe one day she'll understand that digital art needs no justification ;-) Actually that was is also a port of one of the best Amiga demos ever: Hardwired. Look as 2:43 in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGOh-jb4Q. Originally I used it only to test my GTIA packer which can be used from real-time unpacking of grayscale pics back in 1992. When I started coding for my Atari again after 10 years in 2002, I found it was worth releasing.

And before anybody claims that I do nothing but rips: I was memeber of an Amiga Demo group back then and we had a kind of "competition". Whenever one of my friends showed up some new and cool on his Amiga, I claimed to do the same on my XL within the next 4 weeks. It really was fun to see their faces then :D

Regarding the bitplane, MaPa has released the sources (Thanks!). So I have adapted it for NTSC meanwhile (for there really seem to be NTSC people I was not aware of) and try to fix the bug which I see on my (PAL) hardware. Vertical scrolling is missing. But just wait and see... I hope it's no due to my hardware.

Edited by peter.dell

Regarding the bitplane, MaPa has released the sources (Thanks!). So I have adapted it for NTSC meanwhile (for there really seem to be NTSC people I was not aware of) and try to fix the bug which I see on my (PAL) hardware. Vertical scrolling is missing. But just wait and see... I hope it's no due to my hardware.

The vertical scroller takes the most CPU time, not surprising when it copies 1200 bytes of PMG data per frame :) And what bug are you talking about? I just want to know.

Hi MaPa,

The VSCROLL does not work. The lines do scroll at a rate of 8 lines vertically on my PAL XL (tested on two of them). The reason seems to be that all visible lines processed by ANTIC in mode 5 have the VSCROLL bit set so the internal line counter is never reset. If I reduce the DL by one mode 5 line so that the last one ending the VSCROLL area is visible it works fine. But then some line are missing from the overscan.

So now that I wrote it, I assume Rybags submits a comment ;-) If I find the time later I'll try to find out how this reset can be forced.

Hi MaPa,

The VSCROLL does not work. The lines do scroll at a rate of 8 lines vertically on my PAL XL (tested on two of them). The reason seems to be that all visible lines processed by ANTIC in mode 5 have the VSCROLL bit set so the internal line counter is never reset. If I reduce the DL by one mode 5 line so that the last one ending the VSCROLL area is visible it works fine. But then some line are missing from the overscan.

So now that I wrote it, I assume Rybags submits a comment ;-) If I find the time later I'll try to find out how this reset can be forced.

As far as I remember (oh my... it is only two days ago) the demo was running perfect on PAL emulator... but when I saw it on my 65XE (PAL) I was a bit disappointed. Perhaps this problem only happens on real hardware in PAL?

I think I saw the same on my 65XE. The background (when the scroller appears) looks like there is some kind of "lower framerate" happening on /REAL/ hardware.

Marius

Just checked out Bitplanes on real machine... bummer.

I'd have thought that VScrol would reset at the bottom of frame. I notice via the emulator you do have the last line with VScrol not set on the DList.

Could you try a version that has just one Blank line at the very top of the Display List? In such cases that VScrol is still active, a subsequent Blank Line/s should grow and shrink dependant on the VScrol value.

The other consideration is that the Jump Vertical Blank is probably not being executed... so ensure that it gets stored in the VBlank.

That brings up yet another thing... if you have an immediate VBlank routine that goes too long, the shadow display list pointer is copied and can cause corruption if the display list is already being read.

Yep, the dlist is too long but as it worked in emu I didn't bother. I just wanted to set up real ATARI here and test it myself. Took it from the case, get all the cables, hoped that my SIO2PC cable will work (done by myself therefore the doubts). Bring small TV from other room, connected ATARI, tuned the singal (RF output). Then restarted PC, allowed COM port in BIOS, crawled under the table to connet the SIO2PC and just discovered there is no COM port on the back :D and I don't have the reduction from motherboard... so I decided to use notebook from my work even I would need first copy the binary from PC to notebook but guess what, the notebook is without COM port too ;) Damn. I need to get the COM port reduction ASAP.. maybe it's in motherboard's box, let's go find out.

EDIT: no, nothing :(

Edited by MaPa