IGNORED

Name some of your favorite PS One games

DaytonaUSA

Many of my favorites are weird import titles or family games my non-video gaming family will play with me.

Domestic releases:

Alone In The Dark 2: The New Nightmare

Arcades Greatest Hits - Atari Collection 1

Arcades Greatest Hits - Atari Collection 2

Arcades Greatest Hits - Midway Collection 2

Arcades Greatest Hits - Williams Collection

Bomberman Party Edition

Bomberman World

Bust a Move 2 - Arcade Edition

Buster Brothers Collection

Brunswick Circuit Pro Bowling 2

Crash Team Racing (AWESOME)

Einhänder

Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge

Family Feud

G-Darius

Hot Shots Golf 1 & 2

Jackie Chan Stuntmaster (A MUST HAVE!)

Jeopardy!

Konami Arcade Hits (Timepilot baby!)

Ms. Pac-Man Maze Madness

No One Can Stop Mr. Domino!!!

Pac-Man World: 20th Anniversary (A MUST HAVE!)

Pong (AWESOME remake)

Pro Pinball - The Web

Pro Pinball - Big Race USA

Pro Pinball - Fantastic Journey

Pro Pinball - Timeshock!

Roll Away

R-Type Delta

Sled Storm

Tempest X (better than the Jag version by far - sorry guys but it's true!)

Tetris Plus (THE BEST head to head Tetris I've ever played!)

Weakest Link

Wheel Of Fortune 2

You Don't Know Jack

Import releases:

Arkanoid Returns

Backgammon

Bust A Move 2: Dance Tengoku Mix

Chou Sentou Kyuugi Van Borg (futuristic volleyball)

Dodge de Ball! (aka "XS Junior League Dodgeball" in USA)

Iwatobi Penguin - Rocky X Hopper 2 (great party game)

Mad Panic Coaster (awesome roller coaster game)

Metal Slug - Super Vehicle 001

Metal Slug X

Nichibutsu Arcade Classics (Has 'Moon Cresta' which I love)

Psychic Force Puzzle Taisen

Raiden DX

Time Gal & Ninja Hayate (FMV games similar to 'Dragons Lair')

Misc:

Thrill Kill (awesome unreleased 4-player fighting game - MUST HAVE!)

Wow... never realized how much I like the PS1!

Edited by tremoloman2006

Ok I know you said no rpg's. However!!! Wild arms is a MUST!!!!!

Now for my faves some of what has already been mentioned.

wild arms

wild arms 2

crash team racing

croc

intelligent qube

ray storm

thunder force 5

Risk

crash bandicoot

Marvel vs. Capcom although I recommend the Dreamcast version w/the agetec arcade sticks... Get them!!

Imports you must play!!!!!

Just get them any way you can lol. You will need a modded system to play imports or whatever else :D

Zanac x Zanac This game Rocks!!!!!

Border down

Ikaruga

Again above all others zanc x zanac!!!!!

N-Gen Racing looks really nice actually. But the youtube vids made it look very short and repetitive. Is it worth getting?

It's a racing game. So, yeah, it's repetitive in the sense you race your jets around tracks.

I usually play the capture the ball game where you grab a ball and drag it to your goal.

Not going to name every game i own or anything, But some of my favorite games are

Skull Monkeys (claymation games at it's best, hard as hell, but easily my favorite game on the console)

Spyro the dragon (all three, the series died after the PSX ones IMO )

Need for speed (all, but Hot pursuit (nfs3) was my favorite of the bunch)

MTV Music Generator....not a game really, but I still play with this quiet a bit today.

Well, I know you said no RPG's, but the title says to name my favorites:

Legend of Legaia

That's it. Though "Crash Bandicoot" is growing on me. I think it's the quirky design and gameplay (not to mention the SFX).

Just got into Moto Racer 1 again. I played this in the PC a long time ago and loved it to death. I never liked the PS version because the snow level wasn't in it, or so I thought. It's an unlockable level! Been having quite a bit of fun with it. Keep the suggestions coming. I can't wait to play the ones I ordered because of your help.

You have a lot of suggestions already - and much of what I can think of has been mentioned. So I'll try to think of a few that have not been mentioned so far....

"Poy Poy" is a very fun multiplayer mindless beat-each-other-up game. Fantastic multiplayer experience if you're trying to get non-gamers to play.

You already have "Jet Moto" but just want to say I think the first one plays better.

"Need for Speed" - the ORIGINAL. The "Hot Pursuit" and "Need for Speed 3" are excellent (and have been mentioned) but the one that started it all is fantastic. Yeah, it's a little primative - with digital control. But 2-player battles against oncoming traffic (on some sections) has never been paralleled. It's an oldie...digital control only....but the tapping works! The 2-player was FANTASTIC......split screen or LINK MODE. The way the cars bashed into each other when you were trying to put your buddy into the wall (or oncoming traffic) was excellent!!!! NEVER saw one that made it so much fun.

"Gran Turismo" - NOT THE SECOND ONE. The first one is SUPER fast and smooth. Almost exaggerated fast. My friend and I used to take "Trial Mountain" and one of us take the '67 427 Vette and the other take the Subaru WRX - both manual-shift. 2 totally different styles....WRX would take the corners, Vette would have to drift. Vette fast on straigtaways/slow in corners, Subaru the opposite. Every race was close, and white-nuckled. Plus, they **NEVER** got the manual-shifting as fun as this game. Perhaps more realistic in other games, but not as much fun. You could jam it down a couple gears (ridiculously) and snag corners with the tachometer pegged. I remember how disappointed they had the stupid rev-limiter on GT2....try to over-downshift and get "neer-neer-neer-neer" and bouncing tach needle......AS IF A REV LIMITER WOULD WORK ON A DOWNSHIFT! That, and the whole game was slower.

"Arcade Party Pack" - by Midway/red cover. The main reason you want this is "Super Sprint" as it's the only accurate one they sold for a console. THE ONE ON PS2 'MIDWAY ARCADE TREASURES' SUCKS because the 'gas' is ON ALL THE TIME. I don't know who can play Super Sprint that way. F**KED up the whole game for me. Note this "Arcade Party Pack" is one of the few on the "won't play on PS2" list of PS1 games. [title also includes 720*, Smash TV, Klax, Toobin, Rampage but you can get those elsewhere and they play fine]

"Backstreet Billiards" - under-the-radar pool game, the one I've had the most fun with of all pool games. Opinions likely vary, but this is an excellent pool game if you can get it cheap.

"Driver" - the original. I liked this (2nd one was okay too) because it stuck to what the title was and didn't try to be GTA like the later games. The bouncy physics and fishtails/brodies were really cool and predictable. After much practice, you could get good at this - and feel like you were getting good at it. Non-car-game types sucked and were turned off quickly. Missions/games were also quick so you didn't have to spend all night - get a quick fix.

Descent/Final Descent - ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE TWINSTICKS..... Link mode. 2 copies of the game, 2 PS, 2 twinsticks, 2 TVs, and 2 people who wanted to play. If you could get all that together, it was a blast. If you can't....PASS!

Doom/Final Doom" - I thought this was the best way to play DOOM. Super fast and smooth. LINK MODE! Spent lots of time in link mode on these.

"Duke Nukem Total Meltdown" - This is basically Saturn Duke Nukem on the PS, and that is excellent if you know that game. Link mode!!

"Formula 1" - the original (by Psygnosis, around 1996?) This was an original masterpiece - don't know about the later releases (with additional shit after the 'Formula 1' name). If you put it on the 'highest' behind-the-car camera, it was kind of like a nex-gen Virtua Racing and you could see everything. The announcer's voice was novel at first but got old quickly, but is still interesting. Only 2-player was link mode, and what a HELL OF A LINK GAME IT WAS. Spent as much time linking this as Need For Speed (the original).

"Motor Toon Gran Prix" - kind of a mario-kart type - by Polyphony (people who made Gran Turismo). LINK MODE! Used to link this up when we got tired of "real" racing. Well-done game.

"Namco Museum Vol 2" - Everyone has vol 1 and 3, for good reason. The only reason to have this one is "Gaplus" which means "Galaga Plus" and I think was later renamed (although not on this disc) "Galaga 3" for increased name-recognition it wasn't getting. As far as I know, this is the only way to get this game on a console. (Super Pac Man and Xevious here too, Mappy/Grobda/Dragon Buster were filler)

"Point Blank" - There are 3 games, and they are the most fun I'd had with a light gun since NES days.

"Rally Cross" - I really like this game, because it's different. The physics are pretty bouncy....in a different kind of way. It sort of plays like a 3-d RC Pro Am on dirt, or like a 3-d 'Super Off Road." It's unique. The indoor stadium racing is really fun! The graphics were so impressive in the stadiums with the lights and all. 'Rally Cross 2' was good, but more of an 'ordinary' rally game to me.

"Soul Blade" - (not sure if this was mentioned earlier) - What's not to like about a Soul Calibur ancestor? Was the prettiest game ever when it came out. So it's a little blocky now.....so what!?!?

"V-rally 2" - I think this is the best 'traditional' dirt rally game. Sold under the 'need for speed' moniker on PS1 even though it's not really a NFS game - (sold under 'Test Drive V-rally' on other systems)

Wikipedia says

"Wipeout XL" - I liked this better than the ones that came earlier (Wipeout), later (Wipeout 3), or on PS2 (some Wipeout game). The graphics are still fantastic, and 2-player LINK MODE is awesome!!!

If you are going to use the little Sony LCD screen (by far, the only one worth having) then all of these look fantastic!! With the screen, you don't see blockiness. Also, if you get a little screen - get ALL THE ARCADE COMBOS YOU CAN FIND. Sometimes I take my 'Combo' (that's what Sony called it/sold it as when you got PS1 with the screen) and all the Arcade collections I have - to work and game during break or downtime. The Combo is large enough for 2 people to play, small enough to lock in a desk drawer or locker, and the older people at work will remember the arcade games which are for the most part, arcade perfect. Vectrex, eat your heart out.

In my reply, I talked about "Descent" and "Descent Maximum" being really fun, but only if you have the Twinstick.

I wasn't thinking that most PS controlers have "twin analog sticks." I meant the BEHEMOTH "Dual analog joystick" that's lap-sized.

For these games, and the Ace Combat games, it's the most fun control ever. I've never seen a similar joystick that could easily stay put in your lap like that. You don't see them too expensive when you find them. Seems most people did't appreciate them because they didn't use them for the proper games. There is a "digital compatible" switch - kind of like how the Atari Trackball will switch to "joystick" mode....WHAT'S THE POINT???

I imagine lots of disappointed people did this.

If you have the room, and like these games, this is one of the best controllers I've ever tried. It's a crying shame they didn't support it on PS2. I have the "Ace Combat 5" package with the HORI stick for PS2 and it's fun, but it sure as hell ain't as fun as THIS stick was.

Wikipedia's Entry

Atariage thread where they were selling one recently

post-16281-126089736375_thumb.jpg

In my reply, I talked about "Descent" and "Descent Maximum" being really fun, but only if you have the Twinstick.

I wasn't thinking that most PS controlers have "twin analog sticks." I meant the BEHEMOTH "Dual analog joystick" that's lap-sized.

For these games, and the Ace Combat games, it's the most fun control ever. I've never seen a similar joystick that could easily stay put in your lap like that. You don't see them too expensive when you find them. Seems most people did't appreciate them because they didn't use them for the proper games. There is a "digital compatible" switch - kind of like how the Atari Trackball will switch to "joystick" mode....WHAT'S THE POINT???

I imagine lots of disappointed people did this.

If you have the room, and like these games, this is one of the best controllers I've ever tried. It's a crying shame they didn't support it on PS2. I have the "Ace Combat 5" package with the HORI stick for PS2 and it's fun, but it sure as hell ain't as fun as THIS stick was.

Wikipedia's Entry

Atariage thread where they were selling one recently

post-16281-126089736375_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I'll have to check it out. I liked Decent on the PC, so maybe I'll give it a go. In fact, the only reason why I got rid of it back in the day was because it controlled very poorly on a keyboard and it frustrated me. Maybe with a joystick, it would be a lot easier.

I like the earlier Ace Combat games, but currently only own Air Combat (I am trying to repurchase my old game library over time and buy new games I never got to play). Do you know if Air Combat would benefit from this controller? Air Combat wasn't as extensive of a flight game and felt a lot more like an arcade shooter than anything else (which I liked).

I saw Destruction Derby and King's Field 1 and 2 listed. Is Destruction Derby pretty fun? I see it used here all the time, and I believe there was a sequel. I'm assuming Twisted Metal without weapons?

Also, King's Field is the supposed prequel to Demon's Souls on the PS3. Do they play similarly?

Thanks guys.

Btw, I just bought Wing Commander III last night (long box). I can't wait to try it out. I'm a huge space flight sim lover, so I'm expecting great things.

PS: Would the flight dual stick work for Colony Wars and Wing Commander?

Edited by DaytonaUSA

Also, King's Field is the supposed prequel to Demon's Souls on the PS3. Do they play similarly?

King's Field is a first-person, RPG-type game. There is lots of exploration and puzzle solving as well as some interaction with NPCs and, of course, combat.

I am not familiar with Demon's Souls, so I don't know if they are similar.

very poorly on a keyboard and it frustrated me. Maybe with a joystick, it would be a lot easier.

I like the earlier Ace Combat games, but currently only own Air Combat (I am trying to repurchase my old game library over time and buy new games I never got to play). Do you know if Air Combat would benefit from this controller? Air Combat wasn't as extensive of a flight game and felt a lot more like an arcade shooter than anything else (which I liked).

Unfortunately, Air Combat is digital pad only! Ace Combat 2 and 3 are great with it, of course!

If you don't mind hoarding bulky peripherals (I don't) then this is a really incredible controller. It really makes the difference with the games that support it. I guess it was just too big (and too expensive). I have 2 of these (talk about bulk) for linking the games that do support it. Unfortunately, as we get older, it's hard to get another gamer over to play this stuff. I guess I'll have to link with my imaginary friend, until they build a "Data" robot I can put on the other sticks.

Interestingly, the original PS1 dual-analog controller - the one BEFORE the ubiquitous Dual Shock - had a mode where it emulated these sticks. You toggled the "analog" button until the LED was green for twinstick mode. When it was red it was like a Dual Shock. Talk about a rare controller to find - this is much more rare than the large twinstick. I found one in a pawn shop for $5 several years ago but haven't played or seen it in years.

very poorly on a keyboard and it frustrated me. Maybe with a joystick, it would be a lot easier.

Unfortunately, Air Combat is digital pad only! Ace Combat 2 and 3 are great with it, of course!

If you don't mind hoarding bulky peripherals (I don't) then this is a really incredible controller. It really makes the difference with the games that support it. I guess it was just too big (and too expensive). I have 2 of these (talk about bulk) for linking the games that do support it. Unfortunately, as we get older, it's hard to get another gamer over to play this stuff. I guess I'll have to link with my imaginary friend, until they build a "Data" robot I can put on the other sticks.

Interestingly, the original PS1 dual-analog controller - the one BEFORE the ubiquitous Dual Shock - had a mode where it emulated these sticks. You toggled the "analog" button until the LED was green for twinstick mode. When it was red it was like a Dual Shock. Talk about a rare controller to find - this is much more rare than the large twinstick. I found one in a pawn shop for $5 several years ago but haven't played or seen it in years.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Mechwarrior 2 looks really fun, and if it's like what it appears (a really slow Gundam Side Story for the import Saturn with twin sticks, which I love) it should be very fun. I checked ebay. The only one I'd buy (in good condition) is 89.99!!! Wowwie. At least it's playable on more than 3 games, which is more than I can say about my Twin Stick perephial for my Saturn systems.

I hear you on the link thing. While I've never done it, I do know how it felt to play these games (specifically Playstation and Super Nintendo) with friends back then. Now, people aren't interested in sitting down and playing these games anymore, so the multiplayer aspects are kinda useless unfortunately. I wish more of you Atari Age guys were in Columbus haha. It just seems that everyone I know who plays games is on PSN or Live, and won't do multiplayer unless it's online. I'm still not that big into online play, and besides games like Warhawk, honestly never even use the service. I guess I'm still stuck in the split screen mentality. Call me old ;).

If anyone has one of these analog controllers they want to part with let me know. Otherwise, I'll see if I can find a cheaper one in good condition, or see if I can afford the over priced one on eBay sometime. I'd love to play Ace Combat and Mech Warrior (and maybe Decent ;) ) on this thing. It should be a blast.

PS: I checked out youtube on Rally Cross. You hit the nail on the head with Super Off Road in 3D haha.

Edited by DaytonaUSA