IGNORED

Name some of your favorite PS One games

DaytonaUSA

I felt like GT2 was a let down, really. It had some good ideas and a huge car list. We knew that was going to be at the expense of graphics, but they kinda took that as a ticket to have the worst graphics possible. Something was mentioned about the rev limiter. In real life, you can't cram the vehicle into a lower gear if the engine speed is too high--the stick just won't move into the lower gear. So in reality, GT1 was no more realistic than GT2. GT2 is great with the simulated handling. Like Sega Touring Car, it is almost too real. GT1, to me, has arcade style handling. And yes, it is possible to win with a car that's somewhat underpowered, but it takes a lot of patience. Step one is to lose the Sony pad and get a wheel, a paddle, or a negCon.

In real life, every model manual transmission is different, and each of the same model may be in a different state of wear (synchros, etc). Each clutch may be adjusted differently. It has been my experience that you could pretty much over-downshift if you really wanted to. If the clutch is completely disengaged (read: not dragging/cable length adjusted properly) and the synchros aren't worn.... Yes, it is possible to blow an engine on a downshift. Maybe not 6th to 1st. Maybe 5th to 2nd. Who knows. Who knows how many times it has been done; I'm not willing to research it however, for it doesn't matter. But to declare it's not possible is a bit of an overstep.

The POINT WAS is that it was FUN to do in GT1, and in GT2 the damned "rev limiter" bounces and ruins the fun. To selectively apply your "realism" arguement is irrelevant. You say it't unrealistic to want to mega-downshift, but give the s*itty (and physically impossible) "rev limiter" a pass when it regulares RPM on a physical downsift. How would it do that? By cutting fuel and spark to an engine that is being oversped by vehicle momentum rather than fuel and spark? How realistic is that? I was talking about fun. NONE OF IT IS REALISTIC so there's no point in debating that my complaint about not being able to mega-downshift in GT2 isn't valid because of your selectively-applied "realism." WE'RE GROWN MEN PLAYING WITH TV GAME TOYS IN THE LIVING ROOM. We know it's not real. We're shooting for FUN. Taking out the mega-downshift ability degrades from the fun. Have you put in the 2 games back to back, taken a manual-shift with each, and tried this lately? If you take a pussy-automatic every time, then I guess it's a non-issue and you'd have no memory of it.

I agree GT2 was a letdown. I'd also agree that GT1 controls are "more arcade" than later in the series....but DON'T CONFUSE THIS WITH ARCADE CONTROLS LIKE RIDGE RACER, for it certainly is NOT *that* magnitude of "arcade" control. Sega Touring Car had potential to be a good game, and as one of the last Saturn (U.S.) games I was really looking forward to it. However, the control SUCKS. I don't know if I'd call it "too real" (grown men playing with toys again) - it just sucks and the game is nearly impossible.

Edited by wood_jl

The idea that a Dual Analog draws too much power from the port is a rumor put out by Sony. The rumble motor is the same as one of the ones found in a Dual Shock. Granted, there's more stuff in the DAP, but the rumble feature itself just does not draw that much power. This was circulated in late 1997, about the time the DAP was in stores.

I think the real reason that the motor was removed was due to patent infringement. Instead of re designing the pad, all they had to do was not install the rumble motor at the factory. Everything is there except the motor. All that has to be done is the motor set into place and soldered up.

wow, wood_jl, that was an over reaction. IMO, of course. :)

wow, wood_jl, that was an over reaction. IMO, of course. :)

Sorry! My apologies....

But anyone debating/comparing GT1 and GT2 really should dig them both up, take manual-shift, and compare.

Interesting analysis of the original Dual-analog ("Single Shock?") controller. Was there any software that supported the rumble? (U.S. version, that is).

Interesting analysis of the original Dual-analog ("Single Shock?") controller. Was there any software that supported the rumble? (U.S. version, that is).

Yes. Most Dual Shock software causes the Dual Analog pad to rumble as well. I've a few games, however that will not allow the "vibration" feature, like FF8. I think GT1 looks to see if the rumble hardware is present and uses what it finds. I thought it was odd when the pad rumbled even in digital mode.