IGNORED

Adventures of Mario - WIP

BDW

Things that have been changed:

Enemies changed to Mario enemies (Goomba, Spiny Koopa, Koopa Troopa)

One of the items changed to spinning coins

Things that need to be changed:

Change colors of Tron sprite to resemble Mario

Change stage color

Change title screen to say "Mario"

Change Copyright text to "Brandon W."

The story:

Mario has been trapped in the depths of Bowser's Castle! Gather the power supply parts to be able to advance to the next floor! Dont forget to grab the coins, plumbing houses only pays so much! Things wont be easy though, the area is infested with Goombas, Koopa Troopas, and Spiny Koopas! Get out of there quick, Luigi doesn't take long when it comes to making advances towards Princess Peach!

ADVOFMARIO.BIN

• Thanks 1

Here ya go.

Adv_of_Mario.zip

* I made a few minor edits to Mario.

* Changed the Title Screen to say Mario.

* Changed colors of Mario to be more like Mario.

* Edited the spiked turtles and animated their feet, (they go right to left, but backwards from left to right).

* Edited the flying worm looking thing to be a bullet (from SMB).

* Edited the coin to look more like a coin.

* Made minor edits to the goombas.

post-9364-126164843706_thumb.png post-9364-126164792633_thumb.png

Things not changed:

I didn't know what color you wanted the stage, so I left it alone.

I couldn't think of anything more fitting to replace the sparky looking diamond thing that you collect.

I didn't mess with the credits.

edit: Here's one with a slightly different "R" in MARIO.

Adv_of_Mario_(alt).zip

post-9364-126164926471_thumb.png

Edited by KevinMos3
  • Like 1

Here ya go.

Adv_of_Mario.zip

* Edited the spiked turtles and animated their feet, (they go right to left, but backwards from left to right).

Things not changed:

I couldn't think of anything more fitting to replace the sparky looking diamond thing that you collect.

Thanks for the changes! I intend on putting a new bin up later that addresses the things you did not change. I'll replace my name with yours on the credits if you'd like.

BTW: The worm thing was just supposed to be a place holder for something else ( I like what you did with the bullet bill!)

Here ya go.

Adv_of_Mario.zip

post-9364-126164843706_thumb.png post-9364-126164792633_thumb.png

Things not changed:

Adv_of_Mario_(alt).zip

post-9364-126164926471_thumb.png

It looks cool - nice job.

Shouldn't the crabs (whatever they're called) be red?

Also, the coin gold (or yellow if that isn't an option)?

What about maybe coloring the floors the same as in Donkey Kong?

What about replacing the diamond thing with a mushroom? Hell, maybe you can even give him a power up like temporary fire power and indicate it somehow - maybe a flashing border around the screen or a flashing Mario himself.

Thanks for the changes! I intend on putting a new bin up later that addresses the things you did not change. I'll replace my name with yours on the credits if you'd like.

No need to add me to the credits. This hack was your idea. I was just up way too late and thought I'd help you implement some of the changes you were wanting... and a couple others to boot. I'm just glad I could help.

What about replacing the diamond thing with a mushroom? Hell, maybe you can even give him a power up like temporary fire power and indicate it somehow - maybe a flashing border around the screen or a flashing Mario himself.

All enemies are randomly colored. I suppose Brandon could hunt down all the color choices for each enemy and change them all to a single color, but I didn't look at the binary long enough to see if it's just a limited selection for a particular enemy, or if that same pallet is designated for all enemies.

The coin is the same issue as the enemies.

The floor, he could do... or I could do later if he wants.

The mushrooms might be an idea. Actually, that was the only thing I could think of to replace the diamonds with, but I wasn't sure about a "flying" mushroom. The other changes would be cool, if this ends up as more than a graphics hack.

One other thing I wanted to suggest: right now, the tanks look like turtles, but since they shoot, I was trying to think of something that would be more fitting for firepower. The only ideas I had were either a cannon (which doesn't move in SMB), or one of those hammer throwing guys. SMB 2 or 3 might have enemies that would be fitting, but it's been too long since I played those to remember what characters were in them. Also, that tank/turle sprite gets horribly stretched, so if you edit that, keep that in mind.

All enemies are randomly colored. I suppose Brandon could hunt down all the color choices for each enemy and change them all to a single color, but I didn't look at the binary long enough to see if it's just a limited selection for a particular enemy, or if that same pallet is designated for all enemies.

The mushrooms might be an idea. Actually, that was the only thing I could think of to replace the diamonds with, but I wasn't sure about a "flying" mushroom. The other changes would be cool, if this ends up as more than a graphics hack.

One other thing I wanted to suggest: right now, the tanks look like turtles, but since they shoot, I was trying to think of something that would be more fitting for firepower. The only ideas I had were either a cannon (which doesn't move in SMB), or one of those hammer throwing guys. SMB 2 or 3 might have enemies that would be fitting, but it's been too long since I played those to remember what characters were in them. Also, that tank/turle sprite gets horribly stretched, so if you edit that, keep that in mind.

The flying mushroom would be really cool.

Where are these tanks that you are referring to? I thought you would have wanted turtles anyway...

No need to add me to the credits. This hack was your idea. I was just up way too late and thought I'd help you implement some of the changes you were wanting... and a couple others to boot. I'm just glad I could help.

I was actually thinking of changing the turtle as well. I had a plan to change it to the Hammer Bros (or the big fat one from SMB3), I just dont know how I should draw it. Then again, there are Fire koopas in SMB3, I could just incorporate that. I like the idea to change the floors to resemble Donkey Kong. I'm debating on whether to change it to a light gray (Castle stages in SMB), or red (Donkey Kong).

Mushrooms are also a good idea, but I can change the flying crystal things to stars, that would be much more fitting.

I highly doubt its going to turn into a gameplay hack, my coding skills are piss poor (excuse my french). I can hardly code in BASIC and C++ without consulting a manual, let alone Assembly. I may just leave it up as a graphics hack for now, and come back later to change gameplay when my coding gets better.

Where are these tanks that you are referring to? I thought you would have wanted turtles anyway...

In the original game, these characters were Tanks. In the hack, they are turtles, but since they shoot, I was suggesting another SMB character might be better to take their place.

I was actually thinking of changing the turtle as well. I had a plan to change it to the Hammer Bros (or the big fat one from SMB3), I just dont know how I should draw it. Then again, there are Fire koopas in SMB3, I could just incorporate that. I like the idea to change the floors to resemble Donkey Kong. I'm debating on whether to change it to a light gray (Castle stages in SMB), or red (Donkey Kong).

Mushrooms are also a good idea, but I can change the flying crystal things to stars, that would be much more fitting.

I like the idea of the Hammer Bros or Fire Koopas. I can't think of what Fire Koopas look like, but it sounds like an even better fit than Hammer Bros. The main problem is trying to make them look like anything since those 8 pixels get stretched to 16.

I like the Star idea. That's what I was trying to think of last night buy couldn't. ;)

As for the floor color, I think either gray or puple-ish red would look nice. Gray would probably be more fitting, especially if you go with Fire Koopas, but even blue would be good if you go with the old Mario Bros theme.

Here's a new version with Fire Koopas (tried to make it look like shells are on fire). I attempted to turn the flying crytsal thing into a star, but all it would do is glitch up that game. I'm stuck on that part.

Still debating on the color of the levels. I'll try several colors later and see what looks good.

Unfortunately, no more updates for a couple of days. I have way too many Christmas parties to go to.

Adv_of_Mario_(alt)v5.bin

Edited by brandondwright

This is one of those games that you might as well stick Mario in. It never made sense to me as a TRON game. Mario fits the environment a bit better anyway.

I agree. It works far better as a Mario game. All it needs is some plumbing pipes.

Wp

What you could do is make that pole in the middle a vertical plumbing pipe. Just put elbows on both ends one facing left and the other facing right.

This is one of those games that you might as well stick Mario in. It never made sense to me as a TRON game. Mario fits the environment a bit better anyway.

I agree. It works far better as a Mario game. All it needs is some plumbing pipes.

Wp

What you could do is make that pole in the middle a vertical plumbing pipe. Just put elbows on both ends one facing left and the other facing right.

It may be too hard to find that certain sprite. I could just change the screen to green when the warp beam comes down. Then, it would at least resemble one of the SMB pipes.

I finished making a cd copy, here is a pic of the Jewel case label and the disc label. I may post a video later of it.

PM sent to Kevin and OoG.

post-23072-12618133588_thumb.jpg

post-23072-126181333595_thumb.jpg

The DK construction site would have to be replaced with that found in the game. You wouldn't want to misrepresent like everyone else did back in the 80s would you? : ]