IGNORED

Sequels you never knew existed

S1500

Many moons ago I was at a video game store, and was surprised to see "State of Emergency 2". I bought SoE 1 and was quite disappointed with the game. How the heck did a sequel get made?

Has anyone else found sequels, whether classic or new that seemed to be released to zero audience or hype?

Many moons ago I was at a video game store, and was surprised to see "State of Emergency 2". I bought SoE 1 and was quite disappointed with the game. How the heck did a sequel get made?

Has anyone else found sequels, whether classic or new that seemed to be released to zero audience or hype?

Civil War: Secret Missions (Xbox 360)

The first one sucked balls. No one even knows that one existed, why make a sequel?

Lots of them surprised me with sequels. Virtual On spawned two sequels, and to my knowledge all three game turned out popular. In Japan, they say Oratorio Tangram was almost a killer app.

I was surprised to see sequels to River Raid and Frogger. I didn't know until recently that these were so many Raiden games, either.

Seems to me there wasn't much hype before Red Alert 2's release, either. I found out about it when I walked into EB one day and there it sat on a cardboard display.

I was surprised to hear Shadow Man was getting a sequel back in the day.

I LOVED the first game, but didn't think it had a big following.

Anyways, I bought the second one the day it came out and paid full price for it.

I shouldn't have bothered. Didn't hold a candle to the first game. Too many changes I guess.

So sad.

I didn't know Icebreaker II existed on the 3DO until two nights ago. I need to check some videos out on the thing now. Apparently it was developed by the same guy that did the original and released by Oldergames, but they supposedly bit the dust a while back (something else I was also unaware of), so the game is nearly impossible to find now.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot that I didn't associate Emperor: Battle for Dune with Dune 2000 right away, either. I would never guess they were sequels if it weren't for the name and theme.

I guess you could say that Goldeneye spawned three Perfect Dark games as spiritual sequels. I've played TWINE and PD both on the N64, and PD feels more like the correct sequel.

I am a little surprised everbody hates State of Emergecy, as an "arcade" guy myself I liked the timed repeatitive run and gun arcade action it had. It totally gave me that "just one more game" feeling and I was able to play it quickly without putting a lot of time/thought in to it, just mindless killing, the way many of my favorite classic games were. I always thought of it as arcade style mechanics with next gen graphics which is a concept that works for me. I also bought it for $5 so if this was originally a $50 I would have been a little let down but I would have paid $20 for it and been happy.

I am a little surprised everbody hates State of Emergecy, as an "arcade" guy myself I liked the timed repeatitive run and gun arcade action it had. It totally gave me that "just one more game" feeling and I was able to play it quickly without putting a lot of time/thought in to it, just mindless killing, the way many of my favorite classic games were. I always thought of it as arcade style mechanics with next gen graphics which is a concept that works for me. I also bought it for $5 so if this was originally a $50 I would have been a little let down but I would have paid $20 for it and been happy.

Yeah, it wasn't a bad game if you enjoyed mindless action. The XBOX version was also a bit better, featuring custom soundtracks as well.

With the phenomenon that was Grand Theft Auto 3, the problem with SOE wasn't so much the game itself--it was the fact that everyone was expecting it to be just like GTA. Oops. :ponder:

I remember trying to play one stinking mission in SOE(one of the early missions) which involves having to run somewhere to meet up some guy. No matter how many times I tried, I ran out of time & failed the mission. Not even the cheat code to "pass the mission" worked.

Fade to Black. I wasn't aware that it was a sequel to Flashback until I started playing it and saying "this reminds me of Flashback".

Speaking of games by Delphine Software, I didn't know there was a sequel to Out of this World until I heard about Heart of the Alien on Sega CD a few years ago.

I never heard about Castlevania III until I came online. I know the Super Nintendo game was IV, but I had never seen the third installment. So I figured that IV had just skipped a number (which was something that seemed to happen at the time) or that III had been some forgotten GB game.

Similarly, I didn't know about Battle Arena Toshinden IV for the longest time. I had been a big fan of 1 and 2. I guess it's for the best that I never saw 4, though. Installments 3 and Toshinden Kids were wretched.

I didn't know there was a NES sequel to Dragonlance: Heroes of the Lance. I'm still not clear on if it's a real, commercially released cart or a prototype reconstruction.