IGNORED

Finally, a found this weekend

lonesome_pa

Well, after about a month or so of looking in the wild (flea markets, yard sales, thrift, etc.), I finally came across 2 Atari 2600 carts and they were ones I didn't have which made it all the better. I found Basketball (by Sears) and Space Attack. Nothing really rare, but a good find none the less considering since the "well" has pretty much dried up around here. I have a feeling it's off to eBay I go if I want to "find" any more.

this kind of hunting reminds me of playing golf. You can play terrible for 17 holes and four hours but if you make a good shot or score on the last hole then you are stoked about coming out and playing again. All it takes is one 'hit' and your hooked for another time :)

I've been hitting the thrifts regularly the last few weeks after a few years away. I'm surprised the amount of stuff I've run into, it was a lot drier a few years ago. NES and Genesis commons are very plentiful, you could build a 30-40 game library this way if you didn't have any before, I did this with a newly acquired NES. As far as systems, I've seen good lots of NES, Genny, SNES, TI-99a, Colecovision, and a great looking 2600 Vader (which I picked up of course :!: ). As far as Atari carts, I've only seen commons but I could've have gotten 15 or 20 unique games if I needed them.

Anyway, I don't know where all these things are coming from but Florida is doing better these days.

this kind of hunting reminds me of playing golf. You can play terrible for 17 holes and four hours but if you make a good shot or score on the last hole then you are stoked about coming out and playing again. All it takes is one 'hit' and your hooked for another time  

I went months without finding anything, then finally a heavy sixer at Savers for six bucks, then a stack of manuals as Goodwill for 29 cents!

NES and Genesis commons are very plentiful, you could build a 30-40 game library this way if you didn't have any before, I did this with a newly acquired NES.

Three months ago didn't even own a Genesis, now I have 3 (!) consoles and 20 games with boxes and manuals. Probably spent a total of $20 on all of it. I wonder if we'll be able to pick up XBoxes and PS2s for $5 ten years from now....

Of course there are plenty-o Genesis sports titles and NES Mario Bros/Duck Hunt to build a house with, but I'm lucky to see ANY Atari game once in a blue moon now even more ones that I don't have. I did see a Colecovision system Saturday, but I passed it up mainly because it had a HUGE hole above the cart slot which looked like it was chewed through. I didn't want to touch it because whatever chewed that hole could have still been in there and I didn't want to know.

I wonder if we'll be able to pick up XBoxes and PS2s for $5 ten years from now....

Not a chance. If you were to find them they probably won't be working, anyway. No way those units would withstand the abuse of time. The only way you'll have one of those 10 years from now is if you buy one new yourself, take care of it, and hold on to it.

LOL at Krytol's avatar! never saw it before but "oh how apt"!

I've seen all these references to MST3K, and I've figured out that A) that means "Mystery Science Theatre", and B) Those silhouettes are something to do with it. Could someone help out an english guy who is a bit lost tell me what MST is? Why the silhouettes in front of Pacman are apt? I feel left out here :D

I'm from Pennsylvania as well Lonesome, and this summer off the top of my head, I've found the following:

X-man

Fantastic Voyage

Cruise Missile

SpiderDroid

Snoopy

Asterix

Obelix

Miner 2049'er

Alien

Crash Dive

Flash Gordon

Marine Wars

Track and Field

This is in stark contrast to last year, where my only 2600 find was a complete Halloween.

I've seen all these references to MST3K, and I've figured out that A) that means "Mystery Science Theatre", and B) Those silhouettes are something to do with it. Could someone help out an english guy who is a bit lost tell me what MST is? Why the silhouettes in front of Pacman are apt? I feel left out here  :D

Since nobody else answered, I will. MST3K is short for "Mystery Science Theater 3000." Originally it was a local cable access show in Minnesota where a guy sat in front of a movie screen (Joel Hodgson) and made fun of bad movies, and he built two robots to help. The show developed a cult following (in part due to a reminder at the end of each episode to "keep circulating the tapes") and the fledgling Comedy Central network got wind of it, where upon they picked it up and made it into an even BIGGER cult hit. The whole point of the show is that the badder the original movie is (some make B-movies look good) the funnier it's going to be when they rip on it. The best episodes revolve around the idea that two mad scientists (one named Dr. Forrester and his assistant dubbed "TV's Frank") are sending these movies to Joel on a space station orbiting Earth called the "Satellite of Love", and that they're using them as an evil experiment to see which ones will drive him insane. Of course it never works. The theme song says it all:

In the not too distant future, next Sunday A.D.

There was a guy named Joel, not too different from you or me

He worked at Gizmonics, Institute

Just another guy in a red jumpsuit

He did a good job cleaning up the place

But his bosses didn't like him so they sent him into space...

We'll send him cheesy movies; the worst, we can find (LA LA LA)

He'll have to sit and watch them all and we'll monitor his mind (LA LA LA)

Now keep in mind Joel can't control, where the movies begin or end

Because he used those special parts, to make his robot friends..

ROBOT ROLL CALL!

Cambot! Gypsy! Tom Servo! CROOOOOWWWWW!

If you wondering how he eats or sleeps, and other science facts (LA LA LA)

Repeat to yourself it's just a show, I should really just relax

For Mysteryyyy, Science, Theaterrrr, Three-THOUSANNNND!

this summer off the top of my head, I've found the following:

X-man

:o !

This is in stark contrast to last year, where my only 2600 find was a complete Halloween.

double :o !

I wish it were that "dry" around here!

X-man  

Fantastic Voyage  

Cruise Missile  

SpiderDroid  

Snoopy  

Asterix  

Obelix  

Miner 2049'er  

Alien  

Crash Dive  

Flash Gordon  

Marine Wars  

Track and Field  

Wow where did you find these again?? Wasn't Asterix a PAL only release? I wonder what it was doing in Pennsylvania?? Funny how one area of a state can be so dry and the other so full of semi rare/rare games. I wish I'd find a haul like that in the wild.

Wow where did you find these again?? Wasn't Asterix a PAL only release? I wonder what it was doing in Pennsylvania?? Funny how one area of a state can be so dry and the other so full of semi rare/rare games.

Yeah, no kidding: one of the last Genesis games I ever bought a couple of years ago was Columns, which I didn't notice until I got home that it said it was for the Mega Drive (which is the Europoean name for the Genesis, case anyone didn't know)...which meant it wouldn't work. I tried it out real quick anyway, and when the screen came up blank when I turned the power on I shut it off. I took it back and exchanged it for the CORRECT one, but kept the box that still says Mega Drive on it. So when I eventually get rid of it (I think it's boring) I'll have to assure whoever I send it to that it's the Genesis version, as it says Mega Drive on the box, ha ha.

• 5 months later...

Since it's opened 2 weeks ago, I'll let you know:

Circle Drive In.

There are about 4-5 of us all competing at the same time, getting there around 7 a.m. There are probably more but these guys I usually see at the same time at the same places. One is from New Jersey/Philly area, the rest within 45 miles of the place. It is really a hit/miss scenario: you either get nothing or everything.

What usually happens is we end up trailing one another, (OK, Gamelord and I end up trailing them) etc., etc. until about 8:30 or so. Sadly, there is a flea right next to this one off Route 6 but it has been dead basically since its' inception.

I've never thought of it as an excellent source because I've never seen prototypes or things of that nature.

Apart from the Atari games I mentioned, last year was also the year of the SNES as I picked up about 7 of the RPG's.

If anyone is interested in going, PM me and I'll give you directions and we can meet up prior.