IGNORED

7800 Impossible Mission Memo

cx2k

Found this memo among some paperwork in my basement and thought people might get a kick out of it. Apologies if it has been posted before.

I like how the choice is to scrap it or sell it in S. America (those poor bastards will never know). :)

John

post-495-126229335203_thumb.jpg

Edited by cx2k
  • Like 10

Lol, sell the defective carts to South America...

Isn't that priceless? Thanks very much for sharing that, John. From now on, whenever I refer to the original release of Impossible Mission with the bug in it, I shall call it the "Special South American Collector's Edition."

Maybe it was Atari's way of getting back at South America for all that pirated Brazilian 2600 merchandise.

Send the defective ones to south america.. that is just downright mean!

Yeah, I would say it might have been something subtle to get back at them for all the pirates: even that late in the game, it seems the people in Atari all had clever ideas about them.

Send the defective ones to south america.. that is just downright mean!

I'm pretty sure South American retailers choose what they buy and don't buy too. :P They may have had a buyer there with specific interest in cleaning out the stock. Could have just as easily happened somewhere else in the world.

That's funny. I remember one of the partners of Computer Magic, Ltd. (the company I worked for) telling me they were going to sell the defectives in Argentina, IIRC. Maybe it was Venezuela.

It was around this time that Computer Magic dissolved (bankrupt?) I believe, and they were unwilling to pay me to fix the bug in IM.

Thanks, John, for posting this ;)

None of the names in the memo ring a bell. Weird.

I so wish I had the listing from the C64 Impossible Mission. I have the box it came in, but no listings that I can find. I wish I knew where that bug was introduced.

PS: In no way do I intend to slur the reputation of Computer Magic, Ltd. if in case they did not dissolve at the aforementioned period in time.

Edited by krewat

Any other games that computer magic did or was that it

I personally did IM, Winter Games and Summer Games. Also, One-on-One, which I'm pretty sure I did, given the sources have my "fingerprint", even though I don't remember actually doing it ;) I believe it might have been a simple source translation, instead of a major re-write because of CPU-vs-Maria demands (like IM was, and parts of WG/SG).

We did have other people working on 7800 projects, but I do not think they were ever completed. Or if they were, I don't remember them.

Going through Tom Sloper's website, there are at least two games I think (on edit: I KNOW) I at least LOOKED at.

Choplifter (I remember trying to figure out if there was a way to do the complicated joystick control on the 7800)

Desert Falcon (have the source code to this, and after just looking at it, it mentions the Maria, so it's Atari 7800) - not sure who did this one, I think I gave it to another developer at one point. Not sure if the source code I have works on the 7800 or not, it's not complete. yet.

There are other games where Sloper says he was the Producer (and I remember him having that title at one point), but they don't ring a bell.

Edited by krewat

Desert Falcon (have the source code to this, and after just looking at it, it mentions the Maria, so it's Atari 7800) - not sure who did this one, I think I gave it to another developer at one point. Not sure if the source code I have works on the 7800 or not, it's not complete. yet.

Desert Falcon was done by GCC, so Atari gave out copies of the source code to help developers.

Allan

Thanks Allan, that explains it. Who's GCC?

General Computer Corporation, the company that developed Ms. Pac-Man, the Atari 7800 system itself, and a bunch of Atari arcade, 2600, 5200, and 7800 games. That includes the 7800 version of Desert Falcon, which was supposed to be released in 1984.

Choplifter was done by ibidinc in Connecticut.

Mr. Krewat, you worked on 7800 California Games, right?

I found a guy who worked on ColecoVision games at Computer Magic, but he has not responded to me. I have no idea what CV games would have been done there.

• Like 1

General Computer Corporation, the company that developed Ms. Pac-Man, the Atari 7800 system itself, and a bunch of Atari arcade, 2600, 5200, and 7800 games. That includes the 7800 version of Desert Falcon, which was supposed to be released in 1984.

Choplifter was done by ibidinc in Connecticut.

Mr. Krewat, you worked on 7800 California Games, right?

I found a guy who worked on ColecoVision games at Computer Magic, but he has not responded to me. I have no idea what CV games would have been done there.

Yes, California Games I worked on, but never completed, I don't think. I have yet to restore all the source code for it, so I don't know where it stands. I THINK I might have gotten one event done, but not even sure of that.

Who's the guy you found at Computer Magic? Brian Richter worked there, and started IM, but left early and I finished it (after major rework). Mark Thompson? (found after googling "computer magic" and coleco)