IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

Well what's even the point if we're only logging a few select systems? Shouldn't this be a log of what people are actually playing, and not just what they are playing on a few systems? I guess I just don't get it.

If you look at the stats CVGA posts, like the top 100 for 2009 as an example, I don't know how you consider these as just a "few systems." You have the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar, ColecoVision, Intellivision, Arcade, C64, Atari 8-bit, Vectrex, Odyssey & NES for example. Others can chime in with other platforms that have been recorded.

I think most of us have twice that many consoles sitting in our closets right now. It just seems a little arbitrary to me. I mean, the Genesis and TG were both released in August of 89 in America. Why include one but nix the other? The people in this forum play games from all different eras, and I'm not sure why this list was brought over here if you don't want an accurate picture of what people are actually playing.

I think most of us have twice that many consoles sitting in our closets right now. It just seems a little arbitrary to me. I mean, the Genesis and TG were both released in August of 89 in America. Why include one but nix the other? The people in this forum play games from all different eras, and I'm not sure why this list was brought over here if you don't want an accurate picture of what people are actually playing.

CVGA has been logging TurboGrafx. It's possible that no one was ever logging Genesis.

This is a Classic Gaming forum and this thread is appropriately located here. It was agreed that the new season would be moved to this forum from the Atari 2600 forum because it's not about logging the 2600 only. Also, we wanted to get more people posting.

The whole fun in this is logging classic games being played - not Xbox or Wii et al. It attempts to serve as a barometer as to what the most popular games are being played on a weekly basis. That's my take on why this was started back in 2008. CVGA could provide additional insight on this since he's running it and putting all the effort in logging and compiling stats.

There have been discussions over the last year from the active members of this thread as to what classic games should be logged. My opinion is not the majority rule as I stated previously what my definition of classic is yet TurboGrax and Jaguar are being logged. But, I have no issue with that at all as I said it was decided by the group as a whole.

We certainly welcome you aboard.

CVGA has been logging TurboGrafx. It's possible that no one was ever logging Genesis.

This is a Classic Gaming forum and this thread is appropriately located here. It was agreed that the new season would be moved to this forum from the Atari 2600 forum because it's not about logging the 2600 only. Also, we wanted to get more people posting.

The whole fun in this is logging classic games being played - not Xbox or Wii et al. It attempts to serve as a barometer as to what the most popular games are being played on a weekly basis. That's my take on why this was started back in 2008. CVGA could provide additional insight on this since he's running it and putting all the effort in logging and compiling stats.

There have been discussions over the last year from the active members of this thread as to what classic games should be logged. My opinion is not the majority rule as I stated previously what my definition of classic is yet TurboGrax and Jaguar are being logged. But, I have no issue with that at all as I said it was decided by the group as a whole.

We certainly welcome you aboard.

I started the original thread in the Atari 2600 forum in late 2008 because I felt logging the minutes someone spent with a game was a better indicator of a Top Ten then just having people vote on their favorites. I also thought it would be fun to see what games other people are playing and great way to start some conversations about games. Within a few days people started asking if we could track games for systems other than the Atari 2600. I was fine with that and we decided to track games for any system older than (and including) the Atari 7800. Over time the rules evolved (through great friendly discussion) to 8 bit systems/computers. The Turbo Grafx was added b/c it's an 8 bit system (and although somewhat subjective feels more classic than the Genesis) and the Atari Jaguar was grandfathered because, well because it's Atari :)

Although I log the minutes and try to provide timely updates, I think the thread and the rules belong to everyone. There are many definitions of classic systems and I'm certainly not an authority to state which definition is right. My own definition has changed over time or depending on the situation. If enough people want to add SNES and Genesis games, I'll gladly track those also. If you want to list games that aren't officially being tracked, I have no problem with that either. Like most people, I have multiple consoles covering nearly every era of gaming so I'm interested in seeing what is being played regardless of the system!

I've been very pleased with the thread(s) although I always hope more people will participate. We've had lots of participants, tons of games played, and some great conversations. I've made new friends, discovered games I might have passed over, and have read some great posts. It's provided a great way to breathe some new life back into my Atari (and other systems).

As rmaerz said, "Welcome aboard!"

I also thought it would be fun to see what games other people are playing and great way to start some conversations about games.

discovered games I might have passed over

That's why I love this thread because, as you said, you discover a lot of games that you may not be familiar with. When someone logs a large amount of time on a game or it appears in the Top Ten I'll fire it up to see what all the hype is about.

I was ill yesterday so I did not play any games… but I stayed home from work today and played more as I feel better

for January 5:

Sega Master System

Columns - 1 hour

Time Soldiers - 1 hour

Quartet - 40 minutes

Global Defense - 30 minutes

PlayStation

Starblade Alpha - 30 minutes

(I am knowing PlayStation is not count, but I am log for my reference)

Most of my classic gaming has been NES/Famicom related lately.

Galaga (still love this game)

Mighty Final Fight

Bubble Bobble 2

Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti

Kunio Kun (pirate multicart with several games from the series)

SMB

SMB3

Cool. How long did you play (each game)?

Turbo Grafx:

TV Sports Basketball - 68 minutes (one more game to determine the championship then I probably won't play this again for a very long time)

Intellivision:

Thunder Castle - 20 minutes (fun game. I especially like the Atari Age logo on the first castle)

Skiing - 4 minutes

Thin Ice - 12 minutes (reminds me of Qix)

Played today:

Philips CD-i

Connect 4 - 5 Minutes

Sargon Chess - 10 Minutes

Chaos Control - 30 Minutes

Text Tiles - 20 Minutes

Caesers World Of Boxing - 30 Minutes

International Tennis - 10 Minutes

Mystic Midway: Rest In Pieces - 20 Minutes

Video Speedway - 5 Minutes

Flashback - 10 Minutes

GOAL! - 20 Minutes

Atari Jaguar

Super Burnout - 45 Minutes

Worms - 2 Hours

More intellivision tonight...

Burgertime - 15 minutes (I wanted to play this after our discussion about disappointing 2600 games. I probably wouldn't have been so disappointed in the 2600 version had it not been for the intellivision version being so good).

Beamrider - 26 minutes The first version of Beamrider I ever played was for the Intellivision. However, I like the Atari version a tad better (due to the controls). My playing tip is to just tap the disc. Remember that the beams are digital, not analog.

Shark! Shark! - 25 minutes This is the only game my daughter enjoyed playing tonight. She hates the controllers.

Utopia - 2 minutes