IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

OK, here are my times for this past week:

This time I played a whole bunch of classic games:

Q*Bert (TI-99) 161 minutes in 4 sessions

Turtles (Arcade) 149 minutes in 3 sessions

DKInty (Intellivision) 63 minutes in 2 sessions

BurgerTime (Intellivision) 55 minutes

Q*Bert (Arcade) 27 minutes

Frogger (TI-99) 13 minutes

Tetris (Arcade, version by Atari Games) 11 minutes

Springer (TI-99) 10 minutes

Miner 2049'er (TI-99) 9 minutes

Pooyan (Arcade) 8 minutes

Popeye (TI-99) 6 minutes

Amidar (Arcade) 3 minutes

As for non-classic games, I tried a few Javascript games (non-eligible for the Top 10):

Super Mario Bros in 14k Javascript (Javascript game) 7 minutes

Flatland (Javascript game) 6 minutes

Javascript Super Mario Kart (Javascript game) 1 minutes

Some commentary:

I extensively played the TI-99 version of Q*Bert this week. This version has an annoying "feature": if you are on the 2nd cube row from the top, you may experience instant death from a falling object which gets placed without a warning and is instantly deadly. You don't even see the object because it disappears instantly, you just see your swearing bubble (and no, speech is not supported although it could have been). This even is able to happen just a split second after a new round has started. Still I made a score of about 99000 points in Level 5, round 2 when I got somehow confused by all the different colors and flashing discs on screen.

I continued to play Turtles despite just having beaten it. I didn't manage to do that again, however, but I still enjoy avoiding enemy turtles and leading them around in circles. I think I'll try some of the ports of this game put out by Entex and Philips/Magnavox next.

Thank you again for posting the ROM for DKInty! It is truly well done, although the background graphics don't show that much improvement over the Coleco version. And I actually had to laugh when I heard how closely the sounds are ported from the Colecovision version (not from the arcade!). By now I completed all four screens, and it's true that it has got some slowdowns, but so has the TI-99 version by Atarisoft. Oh, and Mario also looks very good... Coleco really butchered that sprite on their Intellivision version, when they actually put a pretty good representation of him into the Atari 2600 version (or was it maybe Mr. Kitchen who changed the sprite and didn't use the sprite as given to him by Coleco?)

Then I played BurgerTime again on the Intellivision after it was mentioned here... nothing special to report here, although the levels could have been done closer to the arcade. I also played the arcade version of Q*Bert for a comparison, and it really seems to have a far more generous collision detection than the TI-99 version.

Frogger continues to be a very good port on the TI-99. It's amazing how well they were able to pull it off, especially compared to Konami's lame MSX version. The only compromise to the slower speed of the TI is that it doesn't include the in-game music the Colecovision version has.

Today I played a round of Tetris after trying out a Tetris game that plays itself using sophisiticated AI. I also watched some videos showing self-playing AI for Ms. Pac-Man yesterday. Actually I would like to write something like this for Centipede or Turtles, but I doubt I'll find the time for that.

"Springer" and "Miner 2049er" are both TI99 games by Tigervision, and it's amazing how low the framerate on some of the objects in those games is. Popeye is relatively well done, and the background graphics even surpass the arcade original in some places, having a higher resolution (look at the windows in Level 2!).

To round things off, I played Amidar and Pooyan again, but didn't get very far there.

Then I tried some Javascript games, but I didn't play them for too long. Since my current project at work deals with designing a web application, it's always interesting looking into what other programmers do in that respect. Super Mario Bros, however, doesn't quite work on my PC... the sprites and objects all look garbled.

• Like 2

NES

Super Mario Bros. 20 mins

Arcade

Galaga 230 mins

Juno First 5 mins

Joust 5 mins

Joust II 105 mins

Lock N Chase 5 mins

Q*bert 3 mins

Star Castle 3 mins

Reactor 60 mins

Pepper II 40 mins

Super Mario Bros. 5 mins

Donkey Kong 5 mins

Spiders 3 mins

Tail Gunner 5 mins

Galaga '88 5 mins

Star Force 7 mins

TurboGrafx 16

Bonk's Adventure - 17 minutes - I was really off tonight. Died twice before the first boss. That never happens.

Super Nintendo

Super Ghouls and Ghosts - 22 minutes - I have this game for NES, Genesis and SNES. This version is by far the hardest. I didn't even make it to the first boss.

Genesis

Phantasy Star 4 - 35 minutes - Made a run at the second encounter with Dark Force. It did not go well since he wiped me in about 5 rounds. I did spend a lot of time wandering through the dungeon and I wasn't fully healed up when I got to him. Even if I was I may have bought myself another 3 rounds, probably not enough to beat him.

NBA Jam Tournament Edition - 30 minutes - Got this at a thrift store a few weeks ago. Not much different than the regular NBA Jam I have. Only difference is I never won a game.

Starflight - 41 minutes - I loved this game back in the early 90s. Something about just wandering around, collecting information, lifeforms and precious metals that was quite a change from the other games that were out. I'm a bit upset that when I had the game originally it included the hint book. When I went off to college I sold a lot of the games I had including this one. So when I bought it again at some "Going Out of Business" sale at a local video rental place, all I got was the box and cart. No instructions or hint book. They're online, but having that old book would be nice.

• Like 1

Times for Friday - Sunday:

Intellivision:

Dracula - 37 min.

Pinball - 6 min.

Pole Position - 2 min.

Royal Dealer - 12 min.

SNES:

Batman Forever - 7 min.

Pilotwings - 6 min.

Super Tennis - 10 min.

Vectrex:

Heads Up Action Soccer - 2 min.

Hyperchase - 3 min.

Pole Position - 3 min.

• Like 1

Genesis -

Herzog Zwei: 180 min.

That was actually another three hours.

I was determined not to let the money I spent on this one go to waste though. True, it took me six hours of experimentation to figure out what was going on, which strategies were and were not successful, etc. ... but still!

I finally managed to beat the first level... ;)

• Like 1

This week we saw 156 games played for a total of 6,473 minutes! NES, SNES, SMS and Genesis saw lots of action this week. Here is the Top Ten for Week 8 (Season 3)...

1. Final Fantasy (NES) 675 minutes

2. Hang-On (Sega Master System) 660

3. X-men (NES) 385

4. Herzog Zwei (Genesis) 360

5. Ladybug (Intellivision) 272

6. Galaga (Arcade) 230

7. Kaboom! (Atari 2600) 213

8. Q*bert (TI-99) 161

9. Turtles (Arcade) 149

10. Canyon Bomber (Arcade) 130

11. Donkey Kong (Intellivision) 127 (since it was so close)

Keep Gaming!

• Like 4

Hang-On (Sega Master System) and Phantasy Star 4 (Genesis) join the 1,000 minute club.

For the historians...

Season #1

1. Pitfall (2600) Week 2

2. Man Goes Down (2600) Week 8

3. Kaboom! (2600) Week 9

4. Toyshop Trouble (2600) Week 11

Season #2

5. Adventure (2600) Week 1

6. Jack and the Beanstalk (2600) Week 2

7. Dragster (2600) Week 3

8. Park Patrol (C-64) Week 5

9. Galaxian (2600) Week 24

10. Mouse Trap (COLV) Week 25

10. Donkey Kong (2600) Week 25

12. Midnight Magic (2600) Week 27

13. Pepper II (COLV) Week 29

14. Galaga (Arcade) Week 30

15. Jr. Pac-man (7800) Week 37

16. Ms. Pac-man (2600) Week 40

17. Medieval Mayhem (2600) Week 42

Season #3

18. Missile Command (2600) Week 1

19. MisAdventure Revised (2600) Week 3

20. Centipede (TI-99) Week 4

21. Devil's Crush (Turbo Grafx) Week 5

22. Reactor (2600) Week 7

22. Final Fantasy (NES) Week 7

24. Hang-On (Sega Master System) Week8

24. Phantasy Star 4 (Genesis) Week 8

There are still 5 additional games within an hour of joining the club!

• Like 4

Here's a breakdown by system for the week...

1. NES - 1,450 minutes

2. Arcade - 964

3. Genesis - 861

4. Intellivision - 856

5. Sega Master System - 660

6. Atari 2600 - 479

7. Neo Geo - 275

8. TI-99 - 259

9. Colecovision - 215

10. Nintendo 64 - 97

10. Atari 8-bit - 97

12. Atari 7800 - 80

13. SNES - 55

14. Turbo Grafx - 42

15. NGPC - 35

16. Atari 5200 - 25

17. Commodore 64 - 15

18. Vectrex - 8

• Like 4

Genesis -

Rocket Knight Adventures: 5 min.

Toejam and Earl: 60 min.

Altered Beast: 25 min.

Sonic 2: 30 min.

NES -

Wizards & Warriors: 5 min.

Rush 'N Attack: 10 min.

I have come to the conclusion that I never have been (nor will I ever probably be) any good at the Sonic series.

Meanwhile, I found that I can get my NES to actually work with a few certain games, if I'm willing to futz with the machine for a not-inconsiderable amount of time...

Intellivision

Ladybug - 75 minutes

Tried different strategies to score more points. I had over 100k by level 6, but I took some stupid chances and lost all my Ladybugs. With my new strategy I don't get any extra lives but I maximize my points. Hopefully I can get good enough to top 200k by wednesday.