IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2010 (Season 3)

cvga

Here are my times for this past week (April 5th through 11th)...

The classic games (eligible for the Top 10):

Shamus (Atari 8-bit) 259 minutes in 6 sessions

Vanguard Prototype (TI-99) 2 minutes (not much to play here)

The non-classic games (not eligible for the Top 10):

Pizza Connection 2 439 minutes in 3 sessions

Missile Command (Online) 10 minutes

Crystal Castles (Online) 3 minutes

As you can see, I've played "Pizza Connection 2" heavily, but now I'm somehow through with it. I'm stuck in Mission 2, where one of the goals is to stock all restaurants through warehouses. To do that, you obviously need to build a warehouse (which I've done), but then you have to assign a warehouse to a restaurant, and I haven't got any clue how to do that (in which menu this option is hidden, that is).

Then I've returned to the Atari 8-bit version of Shamus, but I don't play it as heavily as I did before. I'm regularly making 25000 or more points, getting through to the blue level, sometimes up to the start of the red level, but not much farther.

Other than that, I've tried the prototype of "Vanguard" for the TI-99 and two online games on Atari.com - Crystal Castles and Missile Command. I think I told you about Crystal Castles earlier... Missile Command, however, is a multiplayer variant where 4 players play at once, and each player has its base (but no cities to defend). It's pretty chaotic, but you are only allowed to play 3 times before you have to sign up with the gaming site.

Other than that, I've worked on completing my entry for the Short and Sweet Gaming Contest over at the TI-99 programming forum. My entry is called SSGC racer, and of course, I heavily playtested it, but I guess that doesn't count. I also didn't record the exact times of playtesting anyway.

• Like 1

Just one title this weekend:

Sega Master System:

Smurfs Travel The World (Les Schtroumpfs Autour du Monde), aka Smurfs 2 - 170 min.

This exceedingly rare game came out in 1996 and was apparently the last European release for the SMS, with only a few dozen copies known to still exist (if that). I played it via emulation on my Dreamcast, and suspect that the ROM I played was actually a prototype that allegedly differs from the released version by two bytes (one of which is just a checksum byte).

Either way it's a pretty good platformer that's one of the better games I've played on the SMS. It gets demanding towards the end, and at times can be frustrating, but it's generally not cheap or unfair (outside of some screen-clipping issues that make it hard to see enemies coming from above). I beat it on Easy tonight -- which was certainly far from easy! -- and look forward to tackling it on Hard. The game likely was running 20% faster than intended since I'm on a NTSC system and it's a Euro-only release, but nothing seemed inappropriately fast; the gameplay was quite crisp, actually. I'll have to compare it to the SNES and/or Genesis versions.

Paradoxically enough, the fact that the emulator I'm using doesn't support savestates (or at least I don't know how to trigger them) was kind of nice, since it removed the temptation of taking the easy way out and forced me to deal "honestly" with the tricky succession of jumps in the last levels. Just like the old days, playing through the last levels of Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden or Adventure Island and trying to survive...

Edited by thegoldenband
  • Like 1

Times for Monday - Wednesday:

Vectrex:

Art Master - 15 min.

Pitchers Duel - 5 min.

Sega Genesis:

Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure - 8 min.

Taz-Mania - 8 min.

Sega 32X:

Cosmic Carnage - 20 min.

Kolibri - 30 min.

NBA Jam TE - 14 min.

Dreamcast:

Super Magnetic Neo - 15 min.

Toy Commander - 55 min.

Worms World Party - 135 min.

The more we try to make it work, the clearer it becomes that Kolibri's two-player mode is borderline unplayable. Meanwhile, we had a blast with Cosmic Carnage, throttling and kicking the crap out of each other. Who knew?

I haven't been too active on the forums lately… and working long hours has cut into game playing time… as well as playing some current generation stuff but I logged some time this evening.

for April 15:

Sega Master System

Power Strike - 2 hours

Global Defense - 25 minutes