IGNORED

How do you store your systems?

wood_jl

Ultimately, I'd like a place with huge room, multiple, multiple TV sets, and everything hooked up. If I don't die first, I will have that. In the meantime....

When you have too many systems to have them all hooked up at once (like 10 or more), what methods do you guys use to store them?

Do you build shelves and then dedicate space to each system? Then there'd be crap (carts/accessories) all over the place.

Do you put everything in those Rubbermaid tubs? I have a few of those and they're jumble. The cables are all tied on everything, there's just too much stuff; have to dump everything out to find a power adapter, etc. However, a smaller container and there'd be too many containers, and all the stuff for each console wouldn't fit.

Without much thought, any thoughts? :) :)

I have various other "junk" but I don't collect anything like I do video game systems, so I don't really have this problem with other stuff.

Ideas appreciated, I know there are lots of people here with more stuff. However, I suspect they all have really cool huge rooms dedicated to this stuff, so it's not a problem.

Thanks!

Having the original packaging is the ideal way for me to store consoles that aren't hooked up. After they're packed up, I play a little real-life Tetris and get them to fit comfortably in my closet. If you have a lot of loose/unboxed systems, those $5 cubby drawers you can buy at Wal-Mart add for convenient storage space. Each can fit *most* systems out there, and you can dedicate a single drawer to a system and your lot of controllers & accessories. I have a rackload of them still from when I used to have a ton of systems--Some drawers would be for unboxed, un-hooked systems, others would be for all the controllers for systems hooked up, one would be for misc accessories and loose/spare video hookups and power cables, etc. etc. As far as storing games, it always helps to have them complete as well, but regardless, some nice shelf space is the best for storing these (Of course, cubby drawers also work, or if you're not trying to display them or even have them remotely accessible, throw them into a massive cardboard box and move 'em to the attic if you have one. ;) )

Edited by Austin

I have shelves so I can display one of each system. For doubles, triples, quadruples, etc, etc, etc, I have a large chest of drawers (or a dresser as some call it) for extra atari's. Probably 15 or 16 systems in there. What I really need are very large, very tall book shelves for everything. All the shelving I have is too short and not enough shelving space.

I made the decision to make sure I can keep the systems I collect for hooked up all the time. So I have all 12 of the systems I collect for hooked up, all the time, to three different TVs in two rooms (the library has 10 systems, while the loft has the other 2).

The rest -- duplicate systems, variant systems, extra controllers, etc. -- is all boxed up and put away in the basement.

This system of organization keeps me from letting my collection get out of hand as I did in the past, when I collected a lot of systems that I never really got much pleasure from.

I bought an old stereo shelf from Salvation Army for 15 bucks. I added shelves made out of plywood and I put trim on the ends to make it look nice. I painted the shelves black, the trim green and it looks pretty sweet.

A 19" TV sits on top and I can run all the cables through the back for easy hook up if I want to change consoles. If I want to play, I take the console off the shelf, put in on the floor in front of the shelf and I'm good to go. I'm able to store six consoles on it - I don't know if this is enough for you but it is for me.

All my extra joysticks, paddles and other parts go into stackable tubs of various sizes.

The rest -- duplicate systems, variant systems, extra controllers, etc. -- is all boxed up and put away in the basement.

This system of organization keeps me from letting my collection get out of hand as I did in the past, when I collected a lot of systems that I never really got much pleasure from.

I basically have no space to store extra stuff. I live in a split level and the size of the Retrocade is roughly 12X15. Right now, I have three extra 2600s and an extra 7800 which I'm going to keep for Retrocade IV in February and after that they're going up for auction.

I basically have no space to store extra stuff. I live in a split level and the size of the Retrocade is roughly 12X15. Right now, I have three extra 2600s and an extra 7800 which I'm going to keep for Retrocade IV in February and after that they're going up for auction.

That's an even better idea. I've been thinking of getting rid of my extra stuff as well.

That's an even better idea. I've been thinking of getting rid of my extra stuff as well.

Now, I will keep variations of 2600s. I just landed a Sears Heavy Sixer from a Craigs List score two weeks ago...

There is no space for every system you will obtain in your collecting. If you are single and have no children you may have space to just leave stuff out, but for those of us who are married? I have to hide everything. When something new gets shipped to the house, I send it to the parents house and then drive to pick it up...I tried paying to have stuff left in storage, but that was a nightmare. You never know what happens in those storage garages. I find rubber totes do work, but you have to rubber band or zip tie your cords together. Then you just look for the controller and bam! You have the hookups....As for boxed items? They make matters worse. Then you have to have everything boxed and never use it..Then you have to find places for the boxed items you have. Look at a thousand boxed games and then look at 50 or 100 boxed systems.. You would have to have your own back room in a store...or a warehouse or something just to store stuff.

That's when you know you have a collecting problem... Good Luck!

I like the rubbermaid tubs, or even old cardboard beer cases. To deal with the problems of cords tangling, and getting everything mixed together, I secure controller/power supply cords with twist ties. If I have a lot of duplicates, I put them together in a plastic grocery bag, tie it shut, and put some white duct tape on it and label it with a sharpie.

I try to keep everything sorted by console. So I have a box with all my genesis controllers/adapters/cables (in separate plastic bags), one for atari, etc. I have a fairly large room in my basement for my collection, it would be a one car garage in other implementations of this house design. I got several large black wire racks (2ft deep, 4ft wide, 5ft tall) for all these boxes to go on. It stays pretty neat that way, and I can usually find what I'm looking for. The hardest part is finding the box I want, once I have that I can get the item I want pretty quickly.

i have 2 sets of CD shelves i got cheap that store many cartridge games (it also has some systems now), a slim wooden CD rack that store the disc based games, and a heavy wooden CD rack that stores my NES games. i painted them all black to match. i have many systems all connected on built-in shelves, and some other systems displayed on some small bookshelves that i stacked. i keep all my controllers in a footlocker/trunk that also doubles a table in front of the couch.

i have some pics in the link.

http://www.hybridperception.net/projects/gameroom/

i have 2 sets of CD shelves i got cheap that store many cartridge games (it also has some systems now), a slim wooden CD rack that store the disc based games, and a heavy wooden CD rack that stores my NES games. i painted them all black to match. i have many systems all connected on built-in shelves, and some other systems displayed on some small bookshelves that i stacked. i keep all my controllers in a footlocker/trunk that also doubles a table in front of the couch.

i have some pics in the link.

http://www.hybridperception.net/projects/gameroom/

Wow! That's a nice gameroom! I noticed the Genesis + "old" Sega CD + 32x stack. That's pretty space-saving, for a full-blown Genesis setup.

There is no space for every system you will obtain in your collecting. If you are single and have no children you may have space to just leave stuff out, but for those of us who are married? I have to hide everything. When something new gets shipped to the house, I send it to the parents house and then drive to pick it up...I tried paying to have stuff left in storage, but that was a nightmare. You never know what happens in those storage garages. I find rubber totes do work, but you have to rubber band or zip tie your cords together. Then you just look for the controller and bam! You have the hookups....As for boxed items? They make matters worse. Then you have to have everything boxed and never use it..Then you have to find places for the boxed items you have. Look at a thousand boxed games and then look at 50 or 100 boxed systems.. You would have to have your own back room in a store...or a warehouse or something just to store stuff.

That's when you know you have a collecting problem... Good Luck!

Hypothetical wife/girlfriend conversation, wife to her friend:

(but in reality, I've heard something similar before)

[wife]: Do you know what he bought today?

[friend]: What?

[wife]: ANOTHER video game! (or system or accessory)

[friend]: Oh my God, how many does he have now?

:) :)

I live in a camper, so, I don't got much room anymore, so all the unused systems go in a big black trashbag and are stuffed under the trailer :).....

OK, just kidding. I do live in a camper, but for the most part, all the unhooked systems are put into one of those plastic bins (along with all my movies CD's whate3ver) and they are kept in a storage unit, except for the stuff I still use a lot. I want a real place to live, but I can' treally afford it :(

Crazy, just today I was thinking about this since I think I need a new system of organization. Well, just to tweak it. I want to put all the not-currently used systems each into their own container. If I can find some same-sized cardboard boxes, that might work, or the Wal-Mart bins previously mentioned. I use the drawer ones for all my carts, bu those are way too expensive for this usage at $20 each. Whichever I use, I can stack them all in my workshop on some clean, dry shelves I have in there.

Currently, all my stuff is behind the bar in the rec room, and the rest in a big closet in our laundry room extension (it's a 15x12 laundry room). But my wife needs yet another "arts & crafts room" (how many can a person need?) so to keep the peace, I need to get out of the laundry room. I think this is a plot to make me get rid of more stuff including my balls. :ponder: