IGNORED

Atari 8 Bit BBS Software List?

doctor_x

Greetings..

I realize that jason scott has well documented many bbs softwares for the various platforms on www.bbsdocumentary.com - I also know that the Atari FAQ lists some of the more common bbs software for the Atari8.

I do also know though, that there were MANY other bbs programs out there that didnt make either list either because they were private releases, or were possibly not even used by anyone other than the author.

With that said, I wondered if any of the users who view this post remember any of the names of atari8 bbs software that they have come across in the past that dont fit that "common" mold.

Also wondering if anyone here has a copy of Marshware BBS as it was the software I used for a very long time back in the day and so far I have had no luck in locating it in any of the archives out there...

thanks!

Greetings..

I realize that jason scott has well documented many bbs softwares for the various platforms on www.bbsdocumentary.com - I also know that the Atari FAQ lists some of the more common bbs software for the Atari8.

I do also know though, that there were MANY other bbs programs out there that didnt make either list either because they were private releases, or were possibly not even used by anyone other than the author.

With that said, I wondered if any of the users who view this post remember any of the names of atari8 bbs software that they have come across in the past that dont fit that "common" mold.

Also wondering if anyone here has a copy of Marshware BBS as it was the software I used for a very long time back in the day and so far I have had no luck in locating it in any of the archives out there...

thanks!

The officiado of Atari BBS software is Cabell of the Boot Factory BBS. He has made many versions of Atari BBS software available by running off a memory stick!

Marshware... have a copy on a disk. Not sure if it works.

. .

|\/,/|

;(-.6) Doc Clu (member of...)

=( ___ )= Prison Board BBS

--/ rdfig.net 972-329-0781

I'd like to see the Marshware myself - never seen it.

I have quite a few different systems but I don't think any of them are very obscure (maybe AtKeep). I'll try to compile a list.

I've really only got three of them working thru the internet - Express PRO, BBS:Express 850, and Carina II. I 'almost' have Forem XEP working but there is still one very nasty problem that I ahve been unable to nail down as of this writing... I need to get back to it sometime and play some more.:cool:

I never had the hardware to pull forem xe off, but i did run forem 1030 for a while - complete with "phone flasher" dongle to accomplish auto answer.. had to use that for marshware as well - but once i upgraded to express i believe i also upgraded to an sx212 so the phone flasher went away..

great times... i loved exploring the various bbs softwares back then - there was so much then that i dont find anywhere now just like the hacker software i'm seeking. a shame that it hasnt made it to an archive, and a shame that i cant remember any of the names of those bbs softs that arent around today..

I never had the hardware to pull forem xe off, but i did run forem 1030 for a while - complete with "phone flasher" dongle to accomplish auto answer.. had to use that for marshware as well - but once i upgraded to express i believe i also upgraded to an sx212 so the phone flasher went away..

great times... i loved exploring the various bbs softwares back then - there was so much then that i dont find anywhere now just like the hacker software i'm seeking. a shame that it hasnt made it to an archive, and a shame that i cant remember any of the names of those bbs softs that arent around today..

We should probably put our lists together to see what all we actually have. I will try to compile some sort of list this week. I know I have several forems, several amises, BBCS 850 & MPP, Carina 2, Oasis Jr, ATKeep, BBS:Express 850 and maybe a few others... and of course PRO (which I will not spread around since it is still a live product).

I have BBS: Express 850 and Carina 2 "on a stick" which are canned to run on a PC using a800win thru an internet connection - those are on my website (below).

Oh yea - I am very familiar with your Carina on a stick project... I was amazed and delighted when it worked (basically) out of the box and I was telnetting to a Carina BBS on my work laptop 5 minutes after downloading.

I will absolutely be running a Carina Telnet BBS very soon just because I can... But I would like to find some appropriate atascii screens for the type of bbs I would run - which is why I was searching earlier. I am unfortunately not much of an artist.

I am down for putting together a list - and even publishing it online either at my blog, your site, or creating something new just dedicated to BBS's on Atari8 (and possibly ST?).. Just like the hacker software project, I have to think there are others out there with similar interests.

Additionally, the various BBS lists out there have a wealth of information - especially if you can find an ATARI BBS LIST from back in the day that also lists the BBS software that each bbs ran...

We should probably put our lists together to see what all we actually have. I will try to compile some sort of list this week. I know I have several forems, several amises, BBCS 850 & MPP, Carina 2, Oasis Jr, ATKeep, BBS:Express 850 and maybe a few others... and of course PRO (which I will not spread around since it is still a live product).

I have BBS: Express 850 and Carina 2 "on a stick" which are canned to run on a PC using a800win thru an internet connection - those are on my website (below).

I will be happy to host this list from my blog.. If anyone has anything to add feel free to PM me here, or contact me on the blog itself via comments.

http://blog.8bitunderground.com/?page_id=200

Once I make it a little more complete and add the FLASH/XML list box that I'm using on the underground apps portion of the blog I will publish it publicly - for now just use the link above.

I will update the list with everything I know, and everything I know on the Internet sometime this weekend...

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, there were so many derivatives of AMIS that were made, then there was FoReM and BBS Express! and a few custom rarities. I used Carnival which was a fairly heavily modified version of AMIS and then I proceeded to modify the daylights out of it. I got a copy of it back in I think 1984 and I was just blown away by the idea of someone being able to call into my computer and literally remote control it. Heck I remember the first time a friend and I called each others computer and put the modems into full duplex so with Telelink 1 and we could directly type to one another.

There also I think BBS construction set too as I recall...

My favorite thing was making ATASCII animations - there was a PD app that allowed you to record movements and make an Atascii file. There was also a banner creator app to add scrolling banners onto your BBS.

Ah the good old days :-)

Curt

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, there were so many derivatives of AMIS that were made, then there was FoReM and BBS Express! and a few custom rarities. I used Carnival which was a fairly heavily modified version of AMIS and then I proceeded to modify the daylights out of it. I got a copy of it back in I think 1984 and I was just blown away by the idea of someone being able to call into my computer and literally remote control it. Heck I remember the first time a friend and I called each others computer and put the modems into full duplex so with Telelink 1 and we could directly type to one another.

My favorite thing was making ATASCII animations - there was a PD app that allowed you to record movements and make an Atascii file. There was also a banner creator app to add scrolling banners onto your BBS.

Curt

Hey Curt - yes, I believe the most popular one was called Atascii Animator - it had a splash screen - but I cannot remember what the picture was on the splash screen.

Would love to find carnival and any other offshoots - if you happen to stumble across any of them (or any hacking/phreaking software for the atari) I would sure love to get a copy for my 8bit underground project...

Thanks for your reply!

There is also tcpipexpress it is an internet only bbs. And yes when I get my office back up and running. (bad Lightning Strike) I will bring TcpipExpress back online and it is multi-node using the Multiplexer. And yes I still code for it!

Steve

I have heard that source code for the PD version of BBS:Express is available out there but I have never seen it anywhere - has anyone else?

Keith Ledbetter never posted the source to 850 Express. He did publish the BBS Software as Shareware.. I have a copy of it from Keith on my harddrive.

Steve

There is also tcpipexpress it is an internet only bbs. And yes when I get my office back up and running. (bad Lightning Strike) I will bring TcpipExpress back online and it is multi-node using the Multiplexer. And yes I still code for it!

Steve

Glad to hear your BBS will soon be back up Steve. Sorry to hear about the lightning strike.

I have a BBS Express Pro! set-up running (non-public) but have used the PD version too in a long lost past. Even found the archives:

bbs10301.arc

bbs10302.arc

bbsexp24.com

bbsx8501.arc

bbsx8502.arc

bbsxdocs.arc

and a review of it by Chris King:

. . .

ANTIC VOL. 5, NO. 7 / NOVEMBER 1986 / PAGE 53

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Communications

REVIEWED BY CHRIS KING

BBS Express!

Puts the fun back into being a sysop

BBS Express! ($39.95) is a winner as the first commercial software from

SIG*Atari sysop Keith Ledbetter, author of the widely used Express! series

of public domain telecommunications programs for the 1030, MPP and modems

using the 850 interface. (See Antic, September 1986, page 20.)

. . .

I had a set-up of Carina BBS on a second system but can't find the archives anymore. On my site http://mixinc.net/atari/download_a8/datacom.htm I have:

AtariLink BBS v2.0X

Paul Sungenis, 1991 ($hareware)

It's written in BASIC but never really used it myself.

Curt

In this collection of 5.25 disks I got there are 4 boxes of disks all of which have comms related labels like amodem, bbs this bbs that. Express 850. BBS Express programs. BBS document creator and many others.

Also seems to be many comms hacking tools listed. I will statr with these and see if I can get all to ATR's and post

Funny isn't it...when i was younger, of I had received a collection of 1600 5.25 disks I would have thought yeha old stuff throw it out. Now its heck need to archive this and ensure it can be used by future generations!!!

AtariAge and Curt have a lot to answer for :-)