IGNORED

Koffi: Yellow Kopter is done!

Cafeman

Koffi makes use of 6 keys, none are really necessary during play, but with future games possibly even Adventure II depending on gameplay, wouldn't be cool to have an overlay made up for the game as well!!

That would be a stunning achievment for a homebrew production: a glossy box, a beautiful full color label, a color instruction manual AND keypad overlays for the games. Producing all of these different items and putting them in one box might be cost prohibitive, to say the least - but it would sure bring back the nostalgic feel of the 1980's to see a $50 price tag on a brand new Atari game. :D :D :D

Creating overlays made of glossy card stock are not that expensive. I've made many overlays for my 5200 games, some of which there were no scans for relatively quickly using both Photoshop and Illustrator. All you need to do is scan in a standard Atari overlay and blank out the writing on the game. Then, matching the original font, put the new name and function explanations in its place. The only time consuming aspect is cutting out the overlays after they have been completed. It is a very feasible and insteresting concept. I could help out if any of you homebrewers out there are considering doing this.

I got my copy today :!: I wish I had sent my money in earlier so I could've shown my family the nice work you did and what I had been doing in the home office sometimes real late at night :)

Excellent work Ron. Now I need to try to fix my 5200 joysticks :sad: so I can play it on the REAL console now.

The manual is exceptional. Great pictures, glossy, and bright colors. I showed it to my wife to say that when Climber is done, the same care would be taken with it's manual.

I can't wait to see Adventure II :o

Thanks Dennis, I'm glad you (finally!) got yours. Dennis is the guru who figured out a way to get the Atari Logo to boot on both the 4-ports and the 2-ports. He also helped me by finding a problem I had not restoring a register in a Display List Interrupt.

The manuals: I did the text and supplied some of the game images, but credit really must go to both Albert Yarusso and Dale Crum of AtariCart. Dale did the actual layout and Albert in his uber-perfectionist ways picked the quality of paper & printer.

I think Adventure II is gonna rock. I really, really do. But it'll be another month before I can show more of it.

Finally was able to play Koffi after looking at the box for 2 weeks!

Well done Ron - nice game - I hope you can port this to the 800 so I can get more enjoyment out of it. My 5200 stick is going bad :x - and Im not sure I want to keep dumping money into this machine :(

But back to the original point - Very fun and challenging - My 5200 will stay out of the closet a few more days while I try to get through all the levels :D

Several folks stated Koffi was challenging. Well, in my opinion an easy game is no fun. But I made the easy difficulty, and made level 1's stages pretty easy, after watching Mrs Caf fail to beat even 1 level, early on in testing the game. Pansies! ;)

I was wondering, did anybody play it on Normal or Hard?

If so, can you get 500 point Tree bonus? It's not that difficult really, but you MUST continually pick up rain and keep the fire at bay to earn the top Tree Bonus of 500 points. Easy mode has a slow fire, making it much easier to consistently get a 500. The most common Tree Bonus would probably be 250 or 100 points, but it can get lower than that. If you let the fire burn up the tree completely, you'll lose a turn too.

My suggestion is to stay away from Pyro's danger zones (close by him on either side, or directly below him) when he starts to speed up his lightning strikes. Eventually they slow down again. Starting about Level 4 the streams get almost as long as the screen so you have to be careful at a distance too.

Getting the most points will keep the lives coming, both when you defeat Pyro's mom and when you cross each 10K.

I view "Normal" as the best difficulty, but it's a bit easy for me, the OMNI-KOFFI player, after I get warmed up. Of course you could skip to Level 3 Normal and start there, making it more challenging yet retaining "normal" rules.

FYI, I think my highest score was about 80K. (Normal mode). I have crossed 99K but that was back when I had cheats enabled. 8) Pretty soon I'm going to clean my own 5200 controller (the buttons are acting up again) and sit down and actually play Koffi for the first time since I finished it. It'll be like a new experience. :)