IGNORED

Games that run on one, but not another....

eegad

Update My Atari heavy sixer is now experiencing issues running the harmony at all. It just scrolls the menu no matter what I try. The issue started when loading a pac-man hack....

Ouch; sorry to hear about that. It does raise another interesting question though.....do any hardware guys think there's any way that running games off a harmony could actually damage the console? It doesn't make sense to me that it's possible....then again, it also seems strange that some games could run via harmony on one console and not another.

On another note, last night I tried 4 games mentioned earlier in this thread by others as being possibly problematic :

Berzerk - both real cart and loading from Harmony work fine on both my heavy and light

Starmaster - both real cart and loading from Harmony work fine on both my heavy and light

Home Run - works on both via Harmony (don't have real cart to try)

River Raid II - works on both via Harmony (don't have real cart to try)

So, thus far only Moon Patrol won't work for me with Harmony. Initially I had trouble with Congo Bongo giving a black screen, but I was able to fix that by changing the extension on the file. Tried changing the extension on Moon Patrol also, but no luck with that one.

Scrolling issue fixed. i had a recessed pin in controller port one that when the wire moves just right it shorted the down on my stick. Asked in the harmony forum and cd-w told me to check for that.

I had a recessed pin in my heavy sixer when I got it. I think I fixed it before I fired up the console. I thought maybe I'd pushed it in trying to plug in a Driving controller or something.

Scrolling issue fixed. i had a recessed pin in controller port one that when the wire moves just right it shorted the down on my stick. Asked in the harmony forum and cd-w told me to check for that.

I had a recessed pin in my heavy sixer when I got it. I think I fixed it before I fired up the console. I thought maybe I'd pushed it in trying to plug in a Driving controller or something.

I bought cheap aftermarket controller extensions that take a real firm push to plug them in. Never used them till the other day just before the issue happened. I'd like to find some made buy atari. I plan on using the cords to cut up for wiring the buttons and key pad for my second 5200 arcade stick. there is alot of wires in those. fun fun.

• 3 weeks later...

C010750

Cool I don't know how I got this but cleaning my shed I found a box of chips with that # on it but underneath that # is the # 4581 Does that mean this is not a RIOT?

That's the production datecode (WWYY format = 45th week of 1981). Just about any IC, and even many vacuum tubes, will have a 4-digit code like that on it. Sometimes they swap the week and year numbers. And, to add to the confusion there are some IC type numbers and vacuum tube type numbers that will fit the pattern of WWYY or YYWW, so it helps to have some experience to know what you're looking at.

Edited by A.J. Franzman

• 2 weeks later...

I actually use Sega brand extension cords for everything now. They've got all nine wires whereas the Atari ones do not.

I noticed your post about the RIOT chip. I may have to try that myself. I'd try swapping from console to console, but my only other Atari unit is my 7800. Even if they're interchangeable, desoldering from the 7800 is not something I do for breakfast. This might be a good time to go ahead and socket everything in them both... :ponder:

I bought cheap aftermarket controller extensions that take a real firm push to plug them in. Never used them till the other day just before the issue happened. I'd like to find some made buy atari. I plan on using the cords to cut up for wiring the buttons and key pad for my second 5200 arcade stick. there is alot of wires in those. fun fun.