IGNORED

Screens frComputer Games:

José Pereira

Looks good.

Why don't you give that Outrun title screen a go?

The original images are in the thread.

I saved the Out-Run to my computer this morning.

I've tried some Loading/Tittle Screens on the past to use into the Integrator, but I think it's not my specialitty...

I like to spend some hours gaming, You-Tube and thinking in all A8 PFs,DLIs, PMs, PRIORs. like if it was a real game. And the Game Screens are more Hand-free to redesign some things...

Thanks to all.

José Pereira.

Wrathchild it will be great if it works. I think it will.

By the way, I forgot to paint the Girl and our Player blond Hair. But no problem, it's on the way.

And some little cosmestic in some (small) things.

It's just one Screen of the Game Playing Area to re-done.

I've also stole the High Scores Screen from the Amiga version.

The C64 Loading Screen (that with only the "Barbarian" word) is done (with better looking...)

I expect to have all 1Loading + 4 Playing Area + 1High Scores Screens done tomorrow.

Soo, you can expect a .xex Slideshow on the way!...

Thanks and greetings to all.

José Pereira.

Soo, here it goes:

First all the Screens I've done untill now:

post-6517-126530741947_thumb.png

post-6517-126530743977_thumb.png

post-6517-126530749921_thumb.png

post-6517-126530752669_thumb.png

post-6517-126530755073_thumb.png

post-6517-126530756164_thumb.png

post-6517-126530759863_thumb.png

Now all the G2F Files:

barbarian_title_c16_re-paint_bottom.zip

barbarian_logo.zip

barbarian_high_scores.zip

barbarian_1st.zip

barbarian_(palace)_2nd.zip

barbarian_(palace)_3rd_.zip

barbarian_(palace)_4th.zip

And all the Files within 1Go (a Slideshow). Automatic (+/- 5seconds between each Image):

barbarian_(palace).zip

O.K. Some colours could be better and some pixels re-arrange, but you'll get the idea...

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Oops. Forget to Paint the Sun (but no problem, as always!...).

I just started a new one (Game). A totally different one. A one with a large nº of Screens and a Map.

My screens will be just informations about DLIs./PMs. places and see it runs without Errors.

All the Game have to be created by Chars/Tiles. But will not be a very hard to translate into A8, I think...

I'll try to put here only when all is done in the form of a large Game Map.

I can only say that I've posted Screen(s) of it here some time ago.

About Last Ninja is still on. I change to it whenever I want to change the things I'm doing a little bit.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all.

I've tried a thing that came into my mind.

I can get 4colours in a line on Hi-Resol. (o.k., 1colour with 4Luminances), more 2colours in pseudo Hi/Middle resol. and get P0/1 free for a Player in Multicolour) more 3 colours. So, it is 9colours by line:

post-6517-126659939885_thumb.png

This is just an example using Giana Sisters.

And by the way, anyone knows of a Map (C64 will be great) of Giana Sisters Game. Cannot find it anywhere.

(It will be a good to get this pseudo mode working or not. Need the Map to see the it completely Horizontal and enemys)

Anyone can help?

Thanks and greetings.

José Pereira.

Hello people.

I would like to have an answer if you can.

post-6517-126667455827_thumb.gif

Like this one and many others, is it possible to scroll on A8 only the Playing Area and have the Status area on Left and/or Right part of the Screen?

And isn't any problem in having all the 29/30Lines High for the Playing Area, right?

If the Image cannot/aren't on the Sides, what is best to put the Status area: On the Top or on the Bottom?

Hope you can answer this to me.

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Hello to all.

I've tried a thing that came into my mind.

I can get 4colours in a line on Hi-Resol. (o.k., 1colour with 4Luminances), more 2colours in pseudo Hi/Middle resol. and get P0/1 free for a Player in Multicolour) more 3 colours. So, it is 9colours by line:

post-6517-126659939885_thumb.png

This is just an example using Giana Sisters.

And by the way, anyone knows of a Map (C64 will be great) of Giana Sisters Game. Cannot find it anywhere.

(It will be a good to get this pseudo mode working or not. Need the Map to see the it completely Horizontal and enemys)

Anyone can help?

Thanks and greetings.

José Pereira.

I've found it.

Never went here: "c64screenshots.com". This one and many, many more.

post-6517-126669088233_thumb.png

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Hello people.

I would like to have an answer if you can.

post-6517-126667455827_thumb.gif

Like this one and many others, is it possible to scroll on A8 only the Playing Area and have the Status area on Left and/or Right part of the Screen?

And isn't any problem in having all the 29/30Lines High for the Playing Area, right?

If the Image cannot/aren't on the Sides, what is best to put the Status area: On the Top or on the Bottom?

Hope you can answer this to me.

Thanks.

Greetings.

José Pereira.

Having a stationary panel and a scrolling screen is possible using various techniques all involving some kind of CPU or RAM usage.

You can go the way the Spectrum or CPC would do it, brute force copy (or redraw) only the playing area on a bitmap mode screen.

You can make the panel from pre-shifted chars (reserve some in each charset, multiple of which would be split down the screen a few times depending on how many chars you need for background and sprites) and change which ones are displayed every time the hardware scroll value changes.

Have reserved chars where the panel is and copy data into them at a Y offset (more cpu, less chars used).

Hardware scroll the whole screen and redraw the bitmap for the panel offset in Y (like doing it into chars but bitmap is limited to 4 colours but code would probably be simpler).

Make the panel out of PMGs.

No doubt some more..

Most ways, the smaller the panel the better apart from the Spectrum/CPC method.

Not tried doing a vertical scroll with all the lines, I'm not sure it wouldn't glitch on the bottom line but I'm sure someone who has tried can tell you.

Pete

With some loss of horizontal resolution, from 320 to 160, in the left part, I think it wouldn't really be that hard to do it using PM overlays and some DLIs only.

30 font-lines (=240 scanlines) would be a problem in HiRes. Converting to HiRes gfx mode (antic F) you should make a screen of 239 lines.

You can overcome the full-screen scroll problem and the hires on scanline 240 bug.

The scrolling problem surfaced on one of the New Years demos and a fix was found.

For the scanline 240 hires problem, it's a little bit more complex.

You need to turn off Antic screen DMA on scanline 240, put value $20 in DMACTL. Then turn normal screen DMA back on just as the screen starts again.

Hello to all and thanks.

A different question today, now about Horizontal scrollers:

"If I put, let's say P0 on Screen on the right side, it goes to the Left. Normal T.V. only see 42chars, o.k.? This one will disappear on the Left Side.

When I will/can put again P0 on that Screen Line?

What the coders do? Turn offset P0 when he goes off the Screen (0,1,2Tiles)? Or can I simply put P0 with a space of 48chars (widescreen).

This is to know what can I do in all my thoughts/ideas/remakings, when I'm seeing/analize an Horizontal scrolling GameMap.

Another one:

I've learn that in scrolling games it's best not have PF2 chars near PF3, so 1char with other PFs/Backgr. between this two chars.

In an Horizontal scroller I would do this only in Horizontal. In Vertical they can be near eachother, right?

And on a Vertical scroller it's the opposite?

Greetings and thanks.

José Pereira.

If I understand you correctly you're thinking about when using a player on a scrolling screen, so it can't be on the same horizontal line twice? Basically as soon as it's "offscreen" you just give it a new X position to place it on the other side. There's no offset as such when comparing it to chars/tiles or a scrolling background, the coder has to work out if it's no longer visible and if it needs to now be moved to a new location so it'll appear again as the screen scrolls.

PF2 near PF3, I'm not sure what difference that makes. They can't be in the same char square but near each other isn't a problem afaik.

Pete