IGNORED

ATR limited to 128 byte sectors?

tregare

No. IIRC, double-density uses 128 byte sectors for the first track and 256 for the remainder of the disk.

With CP/M on the Indus drives, doesn't the OS run on the Z-80 within the drive itself? Therefore, it would need it's own emulation, which I don't think currently exists.

No. IIRC, double-density uses 128 byte sectors for the first track and 256 for the remainder of the disk.

With CP/M on the Indus drives, doesn't the OS run on the Z-80 within the drive itself? Therefore, it would need it's own emulation, which I don't think currently exists.

It seems like double density uses 128 bytes of 256 for first three sectors but some image disks seem to leave out the 2nd half of the 128 bytes.

I was looking aroudn and the Indus GT CP/M disks that i have been able to find (as ATR images) are aparently non bootable as the ATR format is limited to 128 byte sectors and they use 256 byte sectors, is that true?

The first 3 sectors on A8 DD ATR images are 128 bytes, the rest of the image has 256 byte sectors. Atari drives do format 256 byte sectors but the firmware in the drive is programed to only send/recieve 128 bytes for sectors 1,2 and 3, ignore/pad out the 2nd half and read/write 256 byte from/to the disk . All CPM DD disks are 256 bytes for every sector and are read/written and used as such.

Person X who created those CPM ATR images forgot or didn't take into account this fact, so the cpm images are broken due to 384 bytes are not what they should be.

However, if you check out http://trub.atari8.i...ef=indus_cpm_en , You will find info about how to recreate the CPM disk in full.

You will need to add 64K to your indusGT to be able to use them. The indus can then be used as a CPM computer using the atari as a terminal.

James

gee , some people are quick with the replies.....

Edited by sup8pdct

I was looking aroudn and the Indus GT CP/M disks that i have been able to find (as ATR images) are aparently non bootable as the ATR format is limited to 128 byte sectors and they use 256 byte sectors, is that true?

The first 3 sectors on A8 DD ATR images are 128 bytes, the rest of the image has 256 byte sectors. Atari drives do format 256 byte sectors but the firmware in the drive is programed to only send/recieve 128 bytes for sectors 1,2 and 3, ignore/pad out the 2nd half and read/write 256 byte from/to the disk . All CPM DD disks are 256 bytes for every sector and are read/written and used as such.

Person X who created those CPM ATR images forgot or didn't take into account this fact, so the cpm images are broken due to 384 bytes are not what they should be.

However, if you check out http://trub.atari8.i...ef=indus_cpm_en , You will find info about how to recreate the CPM disk in full.

You will need to add 64K to your indusGT to be able to use them. The indus can then be used as a CPM computer using the atari as a terminal.

James

I am working on a PCB for putting SRAM onto my indus, not just to run CP/M but for the buffering :) if I can get a single-sided PCB worked out I can make it at home, otherwise I'll have to send it to a PCB manufacturing house... I'm using it as a way to learn KiCAD, a free PCB design program. I had been planning on something more complex, but looked at what I had needed to learn and decided smaller is better at first.

Edited by tregare

James

is there any disk image for atari that saves 256 byte sectors? after I get the disks fixed I'd like to make working images available.

I am working on a PCB for putting SRAM onto my indus, not just to run CP/M but for the buffering :) if I can get a single-sided PCB worked out I can make it at home, otherwise I'll have to send it to a PCB manufacturing house... I'm using it as a way to learn KiCAD, a free PCB design program. I had been planning on something more complex, but looked at what I had needed to learn and decided smaller is better at first.

Any chance you might be willing to make a few extra boards? I have an Indus and have been thinking about wirewrapping a memory upgrade, but would love to have a circuit board if I could get one.

Any chance you might be willing to make a few extra boards? I have an Indus and have been thinking about wirewrapping a memory upgrade, but would love to have a circuit board if I could get one.

I'm going to see what it would cost to have more than one made.

are there others out there who would be interested?

I'm going to see what it would cost to have more than one made.

are there others out there who would be interested?

I would be if my IndusGT is compatible. How would I ascertain compatibility?

They all have the header pins required, so hardware wise, all is well.

If your Indus can read and write enhanced density properly, you have the latest indus rom which is ver 1.2. There are some sites that list a ver 1.4 rom, but this is bogus.

Ver 1.2 is required for the indus cpm to work.

James

They all have the header pins required, so hardware wise, all is well.

If your Indus can read and write enhanced density properly, you have the latest indus rom which is ver 1.2. There are some sites that list a ver 1.4 rom, but this is bogus.

Ver 1.2 is required for the indus cpm to work.

James

I got my Indus for Christmas one year.. 1985 I think. It's probably my only piece of original Atari hardware (that I got new) left.

I'll check into that this weekend.