IGNORED

Game Over Atari 2600 collecting will never be more popular than the NES

homerwannabee

As the games get bigger and bigger I think the homebrewing efforts are going to drop off dramatically. Can you imagine somebody homebrewing a game for the PS1? I can't.

While I have not seen them myself, there were a handful of games developed using the PS 1 NetYaroze(sp?) console. This was an officially supported (albeit very briefly) homebrew development system.

As the games get bigger and bigger I think the homebrewing efforts are going to drop off dramatically. Can you imagine somebody homebrewing a game for the PS1? I can't.

While I have not seen them myself, there were a handful of games developed using the PS 1 NetYaroze(sp?) console. This was an officially supported (albeit very briefly) homebrew development system.

OK, I've been proven wrong on the PS1 statement, but I still think homebrewing efforts are going to drop off dramatically. The bigger the games get the harder they are for homebrewers to make them on their own.

I think it is this guy...

AX

When did you shave your beard off, AX :? :P

:rolling: If Barney Frank were my Dad, and I was into WoW instead of AA, I may very well have ended up the kind of guy who breaks my keyboard over my head on youtube. May someone in my life be kind enough to send me to rehab should it EVER get this bad with regard to any obsession I may have in life. ($10,000 or higher on any video game object qualifies).

AX

I love debates like this. Collecting is about doing what YOU love. If you want to buy boxed/sealed stuff and never play it, it's great because YOU love doing it. If you want to collect Atari instead of NES, that's great because YOU love it. If you want to collect both or even more stuff, that's even better. It's all because YOU love it. Someone with $13,000 must have a ton of money. That's not really for the average collector.

A box and instruction manual without cartridge sold privately for $17,500 just prior to this. That SE auction wasn't a fluke SE is the real deal.

What has happened is VGA has brought in some new collectors. Some guys who used to collect action figures and comic books got bored and are now slowly starting to thing collecting videogames as "the new thing". However those guys seem to be ignoring the 2600.

Sealed NES games get a huge premium but sealed Atari games never really got that much of a premium over mint complete. A $20 complete NES game like The Legend of Zelda might be $300-$600 sealed and perhaps $1000 with a high grade. That doesn't happen for Atari games. Can you imagine an Atari game that sells for $20 complete ANY of the them selling for $500-$1000 sealed?

So for the most part these guys start out buying sealed NES, grading them and then flipping or collecting them and ignore the 2600.

A new rarity had to be invented for the NES. It was too common to find the games loose or even complete so at first you needed a sealed copy. Now that isn't enough and a grading system has now created a system were a dirt common game can exist as an R9 or R10 in the highest of grades. With the 2600 complete is hard enough in many cases.

The influx of new collectors see NES as the be all end all and they are raising the prices. One might argue that on the Atari end some of the bigger spenders have slowed down. Wonder and Marco and Rik etc have about all they need. All most all of the big spenders that I knew in 1996 have retired either selling off or just stopped buying. This happens with all things but there aren't the same number of new Atari collectors entering the market willing to spend 4-5 digits on a single game as there are with NES.

Another thing to consider is that the Atari company is no longer around or making systems. NES is the first system is a series of systems that will continue with no end in sight. The rarest of the rare will maintain value don't worry about that but they won't increase at the same percentage NES do.

All that being said. So what? I sold my Gold NWC and I sold my SE with manual (no box) I now just buy what I enjoy.

Collect what you enjoy.

See exactly thank so much for validating my point. All these reasons are why the Atari 2600 will never be as popular as the NES, again thank you. Everyone moans and groans when I say the exact same thing. Again thank you. :cool:

By the way, on a personal level I don't really care about the NES, and I will always prefer the Atari 2600 to the NES. So whatever let the NES be king, I just am smart enough to admit it.

I still say the hype is for the younguns. I would love a Stadium Events and an NWC cart as much as any of the remaining 2600 carts I don't have. But I'm not the one contributing to the steady rise in prices. I've been doing this too long to get caught in that avalanche. Beware the 20 somethings.

• Like 1

I have never been very interested in any game system but Atari. I do have a Game Gear, but never really got into collecting for it. I've never owned anything made by Nintendo or Sony. I grew up with Atari and quit playing with it for a time when I was a teenager and switched to a PC, but then began collecting Atari stuff about 15 years ago and will probably never stop.

Up until about 2000, I made a little bit of money by buying Atari stuff at thrift stores and then selling it on Ebay. I think it was mostly to people who had a lot of disposable income during the dotcom boom. Then the dotcom bust hit, and at about the same time the thrift stores dried up. I found it was no longer worth my time selling stuff, and there wasn't anything new to buy anyway.

I haven't paid much attention to the market for about the last decade, but am now finding that the market might be a little better than I left it, and I still have a basement full of stuff. I'm going through it now, and it's kind of like Christmas. I forgot about a lot of the stuff I have. My kids are loving it. I think at the moment I'm going through it more to see what I have in my collection - and what actually works - than to see what I can sell, but eventually I'll get back to that with the extras. I at least need to sell some stuff to raise the money to buy some new Atari stuff. ;)

The funny thing is that Chase the Chuckwagon was kind of the holy grail for me at one time. My wife used to joke that she would always look for one when she visits a thrift store and surprise me with it. I finally got one on Ebay for what I thought was a good price at the time. Now that I have it, I'm not as interested in owning it as I thought I would be. I'd actually sell it if I could get at least as much as what I paid for it, but it seems I got it at as the price was still declining, and last I checked it hasn't been trending back up.

Fortunately for us Atari collectors and NES collectors, the best games tend to be the most common.

But that always leaves a demand for them. I contstantly see games like Pitfall and River Raid still fetch as much as $5 loose on Ebay at times. So everyone who has a unit still wants the popular games.

Phil

why does it matter if one is more popular than the other?

Well, why does it matter who the world series champ is? Why does it matter who the Super Bowl champ is. Why does it matter who or what is number one in anything. But people care about who number one is. That is just how things work.

I think there is a difference between contests of skill and what is "more popular" to collect. Big difference.

• Like 1

why does it matter if one is more popular than the other?

Well, why does it matter who the world series champ is? Why does it matter who the Super Bowl champ is. Why does it matter who or what is number one in anything. But people care about who number one is. That is just how things work.

I think there is a difference between contests of skill and what is "more popular" to collect. Big difference.

Why does it matter who has the number 1 hit musically? Why does it matter who has the number 1 book? These are also popularity contest as well. There is a segment of the population who cares who or what number 1 is in anything.

Why does it matter who has the number 1 hit musically? Why does it matter who has the number 1 book? These are also popularity contest as well. There is a segment of the population who cares who or what number 1 is in anything.

You just made my point for me, thanks. Some people may care, sure. But, many don't care who has the #1 album (it usually sucks), or who has the #1 book (it doesn't suck as often as the #1 album does, but it does still often suck). It's more an issue of personal preference with things like that, just like many of us prefer to collect Atari over NES. To each their own. But in a contest of skill, there is a measurable, quantifiable #1. That's why I say the two things you are trying to equate are entirely different.

EDIT: Yes, I realize that you probably mean #1 in terms of sales. The sales are measurable, but that level of "goodness" isn't measurable. A "high score" or somesuch in a contest of skill is a measurable quality, so therefore is not the same thing.

• Like 1

You just made my point for me, thanks. Some people may care, sure. But, many don't care who has the #1 album (it usually sucks), or who has the #1 book (it doesn't suck as often as the #1 album does, but it does still often suck). It's more an issue of personal preference with things like that, just like many of us prefer to collect Atari over NES. To each their own. But in a contest of skill, there is a measurable, quantifiable #1. That's why I say the two things you are trying to equate are entirely different.

So a minority of the population cares about these things. I do personally, and I know I am not alone. If I was there would be no top 10, top 100 lists in anything you can imagine. Obviously enough people care to the point where this becomes an issue. I like ranking things. That is who I am, if you have no interest in who or what is number 1, than don't reply to the thread. Let us number freaks talk about it. Again, no need to basically imply this thread is meaningless just because you think so. We all have different perspectives. Just because you see things one way does not mean your view point is better, and just because I see things another way does not mean my view point is meaningless. Good stuff you don't care. Just seems strange to complain that others do care. So what I care. How does that make me bad? It doesn't, so get over yourself.

So a minority of the population cares about these things. I do personally, and I know I am not alone. If I was there would be no top 10, top 100 lists in anything you can imagine. Obviously enough people care to the point where this becomes an issue. I like ranking things. That is who I am, if you have no interest in who or what is number 1, than don't reply to the thread. Let us number freaks talk about it. Again, no need to basically imply this thread is meaningless just because you think so. We all have different perspectives. Just because you see things one way does not mean your view point is better, and just because I see things another way does not mean my view point is meaningless. Good stuff you don't care. Just seems strange to complain that others do care. So what I care. How does that make me bad? It doesn't, so get over yourself.

WAIT! Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, holy over-reaction! *I* was not saying that, it was the person before me. I was simply stating that you were equating two things that were not the same in terms of ability to be quantified. I'm not complaining that others care at all. I think you just took all that out on the wrong guy there! I'm not against you, and where the heck did I ever say you were bad? Or that your point of view is meaningless? You are totally over-reacting on all that! Please, relax!

And, I am a number freak, more than you know. I just see things differently than you do a lot of the time on issues of "value" and "$ in collecting" and "why one thing sells for more" and so on, but believe me, I am a number freak. I have to be for my career, moreso than you'll ever know. So, please don't assume things about me or anyone else for that matter.

I just happen to not really care if an NES game sells for more than an Atari game does or whatever. It doesn't mean that I don't find this thread interesting, or don't have every right to reply in it, or to disagree with a minor point or anything else. Unless you only want people to reply in "your" thread that agree with you 100%...?

Anyway, no offense intended, I really think you took it totally not the way I meant it. You're not hated, and no one is ganging up on you, that I know of, really! You're cool, you're cool!

:)

• Like 1

WAIT! Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, holy over-reaction! *I* was not saying that, it was the person before me. I was simply stating that you were equating two things that were not the same in terms of ability to be quantified. I'm not complaining that others care at all. I think you just took all that out on the wrong guy there! I'm not against you, and where the heck did I ever say you were bad? Or that your point of view is meaningless? You are totally over-reacting on all that! Please, relax!

And, I am a number freak, more than you know. I just see things differently than you do a lot of the time on issues of "value" and "$ in collecting" and such, but believe me, I am a number freak. I have to be for my career, moreso than you'll ever know. So, please don't assume things about me or anyone else for that matter.

I just happen to not really care if an NES game sells for more than an Atari game does or whatever. It doesn't mean that I don't find this thread interesting, or don't have every right to reply in it, or to disagree with a minor point or anything else. Unless you only want people to reply in "your" thread that agree with you 100%...?

Anyway, no offense intended, I really think you took it totally not the way I meant it. You're not hated, and no one is ganging up on you, that I know of, really! You're cool, you're cool!

:)

Well maybe you are a number freak, but it apparently does not equate to ranking as well. So whatever. And yes, you did have a point the the original post does not have skill, but then you started saying that number one albums mean nothing, and so on, and so on. Implying in my mind that the thread was meaningless. Why then attack the second time? No need to since my point was valid, and hence since you attacked my valid post, I assumed that you simply did not care, and you yourself in the same passage said you did not care about the value of some NES game. Well I do, and again that is who I am. Leave it be.

Well maybe you are a number freak, but it apparently does not equate to ranking as well. So whatever. And yes, you did have a point the the original post does not have skill, but then you started saying that number one albums mean nothing, and so on, and so on. Implying in my mind that the thread was meaningless. Why then attack the second time? No need to since my point was valid, and hence since you attacked my valid post, I assumed that you simply did not care, and you yourself in the same passage said you did not care about the value of some NES game. Well I do, and again that is who I am. Leave it be.

You probably didn't notice my edit where I differentiated between sales ranking and the inability to quantify how "good" something is, since that is a matter of opinion. Sorry that edit came too late, when I realized I hadn't been clear about that.

Yes, ranking does mean something to me, but it needs to be taken in context. That is a huge part of numbers and statistics. Comparing like things to like things. That was my only point. The sales numbers may be higher for a given album, and that is relevant and interesting in terms of other sales. But it does not mean that it is a "better" album in any other way. Just like if an NES game sells for more than an Atari game, it does not mean that the NES game is "better", it simply means it sold for more money.

To be honest, I really think you are reading what I am saying totally wrong, still, and getting super defensive about it (for what reason, I don't understand). That's quite off-putting. I didn't say you couldn't care about the value of an NES game. I never said that at all. I never said any point you made was invalid (only the contextual comparison), and I did not attack any post of yours whatsoever. To be blunt, you are imagining all of those things. I was merely pointing out a contextual difference in comparing two statistics...

...And if you take that personally, that's on you, not on me in any way.

• Like 1