IGNORED

Game Over Atari 2600 collecting will never be more popular than the NES

homerwannabee

LOL, I see 7 other posters looking at this thread besides myself. So the argument over whether this thread is meaningless has become meaningful. Yeah, for irony! :cool:

Yeah, but I never said it was meaningless, so that argument never even actually existed except in your mind. When I said I didn't care if an NES game sells for more, I meant that it doesn't bother me... not that I don't find the subject or thread interesting.

Glad you an have a sense of humor about this. You're a good guy Homer (sorry, Homer just rolls off the tongue better than Mr. Galaxian). LOL :)

• Like 1

What's funny is that I grew up with the NES, and in fact was delighted to leave the 2600 in the closet for at least a decade. However, there's something inescapable about it that drew me back. Everything about it, just looks cool. The console, the cartridges, joysticks, artwork, all superior to the NES. It's truly classic, and American. It reminds me of my rugrat years, just the look of it. Instantly I think of fake wood, ugly brown couches, beige or green shaggy carpets. Instant 70's/80's Americana. The NES screams Japanese import and cheap plastic, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's not the same connection. Aesthetically I've always favored the classic Atari systems to collect, even though I far prefer to play the NES games, as those were and shall always be my favorite games.

• Like 3

I agree with that, accousticguitar. Besides, what makes any game item collectable isn't just it's rarity, but only to one who has the cash to spend on it. Some areas got more of an item than others which helps to increase the rare factor. According to the rarity list of Atari consoles on another website, a new first issue 2600, unopened (not likely these days), if I read it correctly, was worth $20,000. And, Atari was on that Antique Road Show. But just as equally, Nintendo also has some rare items under its belt, namely the ROB accessory being the only one I could think of. Overtime, other consoles will get the same joy of having rare items. I personally enjoy any stand-alone console that plays games...but I will continue to be loyal to Atari...and for those that I might offend forgive me, but I'd support American-quality over import quantity anyday.

I also have to ask...what's the point in spending that much on console, game or accessory that has never been opened, eventhough I know that's not really the point of this thread? You know you are going to want to play it (unless you have another copy) and upon opening it, you know it will lose its value. I admit, it's nice to have things of this nature...but like comic books, games were just not meant to be kept unopened.

Edited by kamakazi

• 6 months later...

I am waving the white flag. When I started I never tought I would see the day I would say these words in my lifetime, but I am. When I started to really pay attention to Atari 2600 games, and prices around 7 year ago the Atari 2600 was the king of the collecting heap. About 4 years ago things started to change dramatically and the NES became bigger than Atari 2600 in terms of collecting. At the time I thought there was a chance that one day the Atari 2600 would once rise as the most collectible video game, but all that has been dashed. The straw the broke the camels back for me was the complete in box Stadium Events going for $13 grand just recently. This being touted as super rare because there are only 10 boxed games known to exist. That is when I knew the game was over. Sure I still believe that the Atari 2600 will be worth more some day, but it will never be on the scale as the N.E.S. For instance the finest examples of Music Machine boxed went for $5,600, and $5,200 respectively. These being the most expensive games publicly auctioned to date. Personally I don't think there is a single Atari 2600 game out there worth more than $7,500. Maybe Marco's Gauntlet could get that much money, and maybe the Birthday Mania maybe able to get that sort of money, but that is about it.

So for me I am waving the white flag. NES is number one, and it is the king of the mountain, and it will always be the king of the mountain. GAME OVER

you should go back and read our discussions about this around 96 or so on #rgvc when ebay started hitting it big and killing the smaller collector circles.

its funny to hear almost the same complaints but you picking a different time line

• Like 1

...Nintendo also has some rare items under its belt, namely the ROB accessory being the only one I could think of...

I also have to ask...what's the point in spending that much on console, game or accessory that has never been opened, eventhough I know that's not really the point of this thread? You know you are going to want to play it (unless you have another copy) and upon opening it, you know it will lose its value. I admit, it's nice to have things of this nature...but like comic books, games were just not meant to be kept unopened.

The ROB is hardly rare at all. In terms of accessories, something like the Hands Free controller is pretty beast to come by in the box, and there are several items like this. Big thing though is, why are we still talking about this? I grew up primarily with the NES, though I played the 2600 from time to time. I have some really rare titles, but they're all loose, specifically for the reason he mentions there at the end of the quote. I like to play them. Collecting sealed games is stupid, waste of time. There's too much value in their actual use to do that. I just don't get people dumping hundreds and thousands on sealed games. If you're sick and go for the whole lot of them, it takes up so much damn space. Cutting the boxes will give you so much more room, and you can actually play the things. NES boxes just fall apart anyway.

• Like 3

How do you know a sealed game works? I need to know a game works to be in my collection. It would drive me nuts to have a whole shelf of "what ifs". :ponder:

I couldn't agree more. I'm a pretty serious collector, but I don't even care if the games are complete. So long as the label is decent and it works I'm happy. If the box, manual, etc. are cheap I'll go for it, but if the cart alone is only a buck or so I have to say I prefer the small shelf space. In fact I often fold the boxes flat and store them separately.

• Like 1

How do you know a sealed game works? I need to know a game works to be in my collection. It would drive me nuts to have a whole shelf of "what ifs". :ponder:

Unless we're talking super-rare ($$$) games, I'd think I'd approach it in the following manner: sealed game and loose cart (for playing). If your rarity 1's, 2's, 3's, etc. are all sealed, why not throw in some extra $ for a loose?

I definitely appreciate those who are collecting sealed (all sealed should be accounted for somewhere, in the hands of collectors!), but I'm going for loose. In fact, after watching some Angry Video Game Nerd video's recently (save all the comments about his vulgarity, this is more about his collection), I'd model my ideal collection after his. Loose, not always the best labels, but just tons of 'stuff', playable. That guy really does have a nice collection. Are there web pages that specifically discuss his collection (and not the videos)? I'd be interested in how he comes about his games, how long he's been collecting, how it started, how he funds it, etc.

Edited by 2600 For Life

I don´t know if my sealed games are working! And a working game is not the intention of my collection. I really can enjoy only pristine boxes, the game is absolutely secondary for me in this case. None the less I have a fair amount of loose carts just for playing. ;)

I couldn't agree more. I'm a pretty serious collector, but I don't even care if the games are complete. So long as the label is decent and it works I'm happy. If the box, manual, etc. are cheap I'll go for it, but if the cart alone is only a buck or so I have to say I prefer the small shelf space. In fact I often fold the boxes flat and store them separately.

To each their own! :thumbsup:

Sealed collecting is awesome. It is a secondary thing for me though. It is just so expensive. I would rather have a complete collection of CIB carts than 1/4 collection of sealed carts. My dream collection would have one sealed copy and one complete copy of each game. I am only a few games away from completing my 7800 collection in this manner.

Sealed collecting is awesome.

AMEN!

It is just so expensive.

Yes, that´s why I am collecting CIB as well but the real fun for me is still a sealed game!

I would rather have a complete collection of CIB carts than 1/4 collection of sealed carts.

Yes, a fourth is a little bit to less! :D

My dream collection would have one sealed copy and one complete copy of each game.

My dream collection would have a sealed PAL and NTSC copy and the same CIB! :ahoy:

I am only a few games away from completing my 7800 collection in this manner.

Wow, that´s great! :thumbsup:

It's impossible to really know if a sealed game works, but since they've never been opened it would be silly to think they didn't. Then again with fake sealers out there, you never know what's in the damn box. Damn video game nerd. Has some cool games, but I started to not like him when he came to Nintendoage asking for people to "donate" rare games to him for "review". Go buy your own buddy.

• Like 1

I think Atari has trumped the NES now, since Mr Tanman's Air Raid auction trumped the similar 'Stadium Events' auction on the nes by SOME CONSIDERABLE MARGIN

As buddybuddies would say 'ATARI RULEZ'

The sealed Stadium Events went for over $40,000. Air Raid was the only Atari sale that I know of that went for over $10,000. There have been several NES auctions that have been over that mark. NES collectors are crazy.

I believe the Stadium Events was ultimately sold for much less than the $40,000 the auction ended for.

..Al

Not sure what happened with that one but do recall something. If less I don't think it was that much less. There is another for sale privately right now and I can say for sure that the high offer isn't that much less than 40k.

Atari 2600 does have some collectors willing to shell out the bucks but without Wonder bidding on items he already has you would see a big drop in price after the 1st one sells. Several Gold NWCs and SE (complete or sealed) have sold now to different collectors for 5 figures. I can't think of an Atari 2600 that has sold to multiple people for 5 figures.

Sealed collecting is awesome. It is a secondary thing for me though. It is just so expensive. I would rather have a complete collection of CIB carts than 1/4 collection of sealed carts. My dream collection would have one sealed copy and one complete copy of each game. I am only a few games away from completing my 7800 collection in this manner.

Problem with sealed 7800 is that you have no idea if the cart is NTSC or not.

Problem with sealed 7800 is that you have no idea if the cart is NTSC or not.

There is the slit and pucker method, where you can look down the inside by the tag for a mere 1 inch opening. Sadly, due to Atari putting the game in front or backwackwards, you can't always tell if there is a "P" or not because 50% of the time you see the label side and not the black plastic side where the PAL sticker would be.

AX