Best racing game on 800xl

JonnyBritish

there are not many but I had fun with

- Great American Cross Country Road Race

- Pole Position

- Rally Speedway

- Grand Prix Simulator

- Racing Destruction Set (really... ;))

Elektra Glide was nice from coding point of view but as game I don't know...

+1 for Great American Cross Country Road Race. I used to play that for hours!

I never got on with Electra Glide, I wanted to like it but it seemed too hard.

Well,

besides Pole Position, I like Pitstop very much, whereas Pitstop 2 is just okay (better gfx, but lame game). Maybe one day, someone will enhance Pitstop into a multi-player and realtime racing game (via multilink/gamelink network or in another way)...

And err, if you like Grand Prix Sim. you may want to give the german PD games "Hot Wheels" and "Go-Kart" a short look. Attached them here (Games174.ATR from the Homesoft collection contains Hot Wheels as a single XEX-file)...

-Andreas Koch.

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

• 4 years later...

What do you think is the best top down racer for Atari. Electraglide was interesting but looking for a super sprint style game. All the posts about Monaco GP has got me trying to find a decent top down racer for the Atari XL

Rally Speedway is the best / most fun top-down racer for my money. On-Track from Gamestar is a pretty good "Super-Sprint" clone -- although it punishes you too much for going off the road in my opinion.

• Like 1

Slightly related, what was that popular arcade one? I remember Aladain's Castle and Showbiz both had it when I was a kid... it was an Indy-style car if I remember correctly. Then there was a similar sit-down arcade one that the Putt-Putt places around me had where your car had guns and there were semis...

Did these ever have 8-bit atari ports?

Slightly related, what was that popular arcade one? I remember Aladain's Castle and Showbiz both had it when I was a kid... it was an Indy-style car if I remember correctly.

Turbo?

Then there was a similar sit-down arcade one that the Putt-Putt places around me had where your car had guns and there were semis...

That would be Spy Hunter... they made a very good port for the 8-bits.

• Like 2

• 9 years later...