IGNORED

Thunderfox NTSC

Kjmann

Depends if your looking for the cart hack xex or the original cassette xex file (i think the cassette version was PAL only where as the cart version is pal/ntsc)

I'm looking for the cart version. I Have The Original Cart. I'd just like to be able to put it on my atarimax cart.

I you are after an xex then I'm assuming you want to load this from a menu? Or would taking the cart ROM image and hacking that to bankswitch using the AtariMax model be OK? I haven't looked into the ROM yet so don't know if it one of the simple 'extract stuff to RAM and then run' or utilises bank switching.

At the same time it would be useful to examine the NTSC / PAL differences and if significant then perhaps have both 64K images within one 128K AtariMax cart and have a bit of detection code to lauch the appropriate one.

Edited by Wrathchild
  • Like 1

I you are after an xex then I'm assuming you want to load this from a menu? Or would taking the cart ROM image and hacking that to bankswitch using the AtariMax model be OK? I haven't looked into the ROM yet so don't know if it one of the simple 'extract stuff to RAM and then run' or utilises bank switching.

At the same time it would be useful to examine the NTSC / PAL differences and if significant then perhaps have both 64K images within one 128K AtariMax cart and have a bit of detection code to lauch the appropriate one.

An XEX, So I can launch it from a menu with other games on the cart. =)

Edited by kjmann

I don't believe that anyone has ever converted the NTSC rom version of this to an executable file. If someone could do that, and publish it (royalty free) in some way? Wow. Very exciting times.

Yeah it would be a cool one to have as an XEX. The Cart Version was nice.

Warhawk would be a cool one to have as well for us NTSC users.

Edited by kjmann

If you're talking about publishing it, i know where to get in touch with one of the co-authors of the original C64 Warhawk - i don't know if he can okay the release of an A8 version, but can ask if you want?

If you're talking about publishing it, i know where to get in touch with one of the co-authors of the original C64 Warhawk - i don't know if he can okay the release of an A8 version, but can ask if you want?

Warhawk Already was released for the 8-Bit (Atarimania link here). It was PAL only though. Those of us who have NTSC systems are out of luck so to speak. I was just commenting that it would be cool to have an NTSC fixed version available.

=)

Warhawk Already was released for the 8-Bit (Atarimania link here).

Yes i know (i played it a couple of days ago), but the post by Fres you were replying to talked about converting Thunderfox and somehow making publishing it royalty free - that'd still need permissions, the bloke who co-wrote the C64 version might have the rights to okay that.

Thunderfox on the c64, you sure, speaking as someone who personally knew the programmer of the orignal A8 version

Perhaps you mean Warhawk and not Thunderfox

Bugger, didn't quite get the context right... yes, i was talking about Fres's comment about royalty free publishing Warhawk rather than Thunderfox - i was trying to avoid nesting too many quotes.

Oops, me is sleepy. anyway perhaps now we need thunderfox 2, just like we had a follow up of mirax force (last guardian), only thing is, I can't quite understand why so many people don't like it (thunderfox that is)

As for warhawk...that was an OK game, but there was a shedload of similar games like space hawk, speed hawk, tiger attack, screaming wings, sidewinder II, speed zone and the few polish ones i can't remember at the mo

Edited by carmel_andrews

Oops, me is sleepy. anyway perhaps now we need thunderfox 2, just like we had a follow up of mirax force (last guardian), only thing is, I can't quite understand why so many people don't like it (thunderfox that is)

As for warhawk...that was an OK game, but there was a shedload of similar games like space hawk, speed hawk, tiger attack, screaming wings, sidewinder II, speed zone and the few polish ones i can't remember at the mo

Well I think I have Someone Working on ThunderFox. So Now All I need is someone who is willing to take on the challenge of Making WarHawk NTSC Compatible.

i wasn't keen on it personally, i'd much rather play Mirax Force or preferably a fixed speed scroller like Humanoid or Zybex myself.

Similar possibly but only in that it's a vertical shoot 'em up and each of those titles has things that distinguish it from the others; Sidewinder 2 plays very differently because it's a far slower-paced title, Speed Zone... erm, isn't particularly good =-)

Here is the Cart converted to an XEX, basic testing under emulation so far appears good, hopefully will be good other different DOS/menu loaders.

The original looks to have been capable of playing in 48K and so on 400/800 machines, however this executable has had to store the level data (5 in all) in the RAM under the operating system and so needs 64K.

Tip/Spoiler: Under a debugger, set a breakpoint at $BD96.

Once hit and you enter the monitor, change memory address $4FE to

your desired level number minus 1, e.g. for level 5 use 'C 4FE 4'.

Enjoy,

Mark

t-fox.zip

Here is the Cart converted to an XEX, basic testing under emulation so far appears good, hopefully will be good other different DOS/menu loaders.

The original looks to have been capable of playing in 48K and so on 400/800 machines, however this executable has had to store the level data (5 in all) in the RAM under the operating system and so needs 64K.

Tip/Spoiler: Under a debugger, set a breakpoint at $BD96.

Once hit and you enter the monitor, change memory address $4FE to

your desired level number minus 1, e.g. for level 5 use 'C 4FE 4'.

Enjoy,

Mark

Awesome Mark. Thanks. =)