IGNORED

Homebrew Vectrex lightpens - UPDATED July 2011

RecycledGamer

UPDATE July 7, 2011: I have a new batch of homebrew Vectrex lightpens available and ready to ship. They include the standard package. I'll make 10 available to AA members for $35 shipped in the US or $40 shipped worldwide. PM me to order. Thanks!

About my homebrew lightpen:

• It's based on a schematic posted to the Vectrex Usenet forum by Tony Duell in 1995 as well as a revised schematic from PlayVectrex.com
  • Uses a custom printed circuit board that I designed and produced
  • Pen itself is a re-purposed marker shell.
  • Cord is re-purposed from a Sega Genesis controller and modified for the Vectrex controller ports.
  • Laminated label with custom Vectrex art
  • Behaves just like the original Vectrex light pen

I have put many hours into producing these lightpens. Despite the recycled case and cord they are very solid and well built. I will warrant them against defects for a year.

The lightpen requires a lightpen-compatible Vectrex game cartridge: Art Master, Melody Master or AnimAction. There are also a couple of prototype/homebrew games on some of the various multicarts out there. I have the 1.0 version of the Sean Kelly cart and it includes a lightpen-compatible prototype called Engine Analyzer (which doesn't really do much).

The lightpen should be plugged into port two and a standard controller into port one for most lightpen games. (Lightpen goes in port 1 for Engine Analyzer)

You can see the lightpen in action as well as the process I went through to make them

. Even if you are not interested in buying one, I hope you will find the video interesting and entertaining.

$35 shipped anywhere in the US. I'll ship internationally for $40 shipped. I can do PayPal and USPS money orders. PM me for payment details.

Chuck

RecycledGamer

Edited by RecycledGamer
  • Like 4

I don't even have a Vectrex and your video made me want a pen haha. Seriously though, how hard is it to find these homebrew carts that you can use the pen on? I've always wanted a Vectrex but wasn't really ever pushed to get one.. this might be that push.

Thanks for the discount btw, and all the effort you went through to make these.

Thanks to everyone who bought a lightpen! You guys are awesome.

I just finished packaging up and shipping all of the orders I received so far. I send out emails to everyone with the Delivery Confirmation number so you might want to check your spam folder if you didn't get one.

I'm about to head to the Post Office with this:

packages.jpg

By request, here are a few pictures of the lightpen:

homebrewl-1267144122-39059.jpg

homebrewl-1267144122-39056.jpg

homebrewl-1267144122-39057.jpg

homebrewl-1267144122-39058.jpg

homebrewl-1267144123-39060.jpg

I just assembled a few more so I still have some to buy. PM me for payment details.

Chuck

I don't even have a Vectrex and your video made me want a pen haha. Seriously though, how hard is it to find these homebrew carts that you can use the pen on? I've always wanted a Vectrex but wasn't really ever pushed to get one.. this might be that push.

Thanks for the discount btw, and all the effort you went through to make these.

I've never actually owned a pen cart myself - I have only a multicart. If you want to play and noot just set your Vectrex on a shelf then I recommend a multicart for sure. The Sean Kelly ones pop up on eBay now and again. I see s guy in Poland is selling 32-in-1 multicarts on eBay for $50 shipped - anyone tried those?

Chuck

Hi Chuck-

I came across your eBay auction already--you do nice work!

At the $40 eBay price, it's a steal. At the $35 AA price, it's a no-brainer!

I've been trudging through a build of 2 light pens--I finally have all of the parts ready to go (though my cable is a tad on the ghetto side...). Given the hours that I've spent, your price is wonderful!

I like your sticker artwork--would you sell me 2 stickers for my pens?

Thanks,

-Jason