IGNORED

Big Sony network problems

cimerians

Today.

But here's the pandora's box of the whole deal: Me and several others from the boards confirmed it.

I\we cant even play some CD based games OFFLINE (logged in locally but NOT on the PSN network, basically like having your wired LAN cord pulled out for example).

Again, physical games not downloaded ones. Very concerning.

If anyone here has tried playing tonight and has issues let me know. There's bitching going on at Sonys forums but they are moving a lot of threads so I cant even read whats going on.

Anyway hopefully this clears up but the big issue is why cant we play some store bought games offline?

Example: I was able to grab this post before everything went to shit again, this is from a person named AwesomePaul:

-------------

"02-28-2010 04:10 PM

Message 1 of 1 (58 Views)

ok PSN is obviously down, big deal, I'm sure it'll be up and running sometime soon. On to the real problem...

...Why am I unable to play Motorstorm:smileytongue:acific Rift OFFLINE or Resident evil 5 OFFLINE. I even turned off internet connectivity so the playstaion wouldn't try to go online. When did Sony start making it so you have to have internet to play it's games offline. This seems to be a sneaky way of slipping in DRM.

I am not ok with this. In the near future I plan on dropping my internet service because I really only use it to game a little and it's not worth the cost. Will I not be able to play these games and other games offline because they can't sync up with the trophy system? Will my game become useless, unless I can go online to "activate" it by syncing up with trophies?"

------------------

Link is here if anyone can get to it:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-General/can-t-play-games-offline/td-p/45309507

And a newsbite:

http://www.gamenewshq.com/news/440300

• Like 1

Its all over the internet making news. This really opens up a can of worms.

So far my copy of Williams Pinball kicks me out. I cant play it. The guy above claims Resident Evil 5 etc.

Ok...time to fire up my 360, I guess thats why it pays to have a funded network? Moycon?

:P

I haven't tried to play any games on my PS3 today.

I have in the past played Demon Souls offline with no trouble at all.

Is this only affecting certain games? Has to be something that was added via a system update. I did have my PS3 booted up yesterday, but it didn't prompt me for an update.

Still, I know not everyone that owns a PS3 has internet connectivity, so this would have come out a lot sooner if it wasn't somehow tied to an update.

It has to be tied to an update but I cant confirm that of course. It probably is DRM. Oh boy....not good at all. Sony really cant get over that bullcrap. Its pissed off people for a long time.

So far my Williams Pinball will not bootup, I havent tested any other games. I'm waiting to see what happens and check some news on sites like Joystiq or whatever.

Demons Souls wont load. Says it cannot receive trophy info. So my local trophies are screwed up somehow since I synched them last and its a problem for some games. Oh well they better fix it.

I've been playing Heavy Rain today without issue. Just to see, I turned off the unit and unplugged the network cable - and now Heavy Rain won't launch and throws and error... [Registration of the trophy information could not be completed. The game will quit (8001050F)]

My PS3 is a 60GB launch unit.

Tried playing RB2 online and got error 8001050F. It allowed me to play offline though.

Shut the system down before I remembered to check the throphies so not sure bout that.

Was reading some posts at the gamespot forums and I seen some peeps saying that their

slims worked fine but their fat 60gb didn't. I have a fat 60gb. Not sure if that means

anything at all.

ok..ok..nobody panic! ...OK PANIC!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, but really nothing wrong with my system. all trophy's load fine and I play off line all the time on the 40GB. Of course SONNY hasn't fixed the issue with Atari Anniversary Redux so they still win no brownie points

I also have a 60GB Fat PS3 and yeah it's jacked up. Nothing plays, not even my games downloaded from the Sony Network. Tried Pain, it wouldn't even start up. Pixel Junk Monsters loaded, but just as the demo. I put it Sing Star, wouldn't load, just got the Trophy message.

Lame.

No, but really nothing wrong with my system. all trophy's load fine and I play off line all the time on the 40GB. Of course SONNY hasn't fixed the issue with Atari Anniversary Redux so they still win no brownie points

Not to derail or anything, but what's fubared with the Atari Anniversary Redux? (As I don't have it yet but if it's got issues I may just avoid it.)

Another person at Kotaku mentioned their paid copy of Marvel Vs Capcom 2 reverted to demo mode, probably the same issue as Peggle. :ponder:

Also, for those having problems, do you have a slim or phat model? Some of the reports I've seen say it's supposedly only the phats that are having the issue. (And from the replies here so far, that seems to be the case...)

Also, for those having problems, do you have a slim or phat model? Some of the reports I've seen say it's supposedly only the phats that are having the issue. (And from the replies here so far, that seems to be the case...)

I think the phats are the only ones affected by whatever they did (Sony).

I think its tied to trophies.

Demons Souls is playable offline for example and today I tried playing offline and the game told me my trophies are screwed up and to re-install the game. Could not play at all.

Williams Pinball would just kick you out and back to the XMB. (Right after the words "You must be connected to PSN for leaderboards" is displayed while the game boots up).

Peggle of course is in demo mode.

What a mess. :thumbsdown:

I believe that only the 60GB phats are having the problems. I have an 80 and it is working fine however my brother across the hallway from me has a 60 and his is screwed.

Just an observation but it wouldn't surprise me if it's found that only 60s have the issue.

No, there are 80's with the issue. I'm in that club myself.

'theft' comes to mind. I wonder what sony's going to give me to make this right.

Edited by Reaperman

I believe that only the 60GB phats are having the problems. I have an 80 and it is working fine however my brother across the hallway from me has a 60 and his is screwed.

Just an observation but it wouldn't surprise me if it's found that only 60s have the issue.

No, there are 80's with the issue. I'm in that club myself.

'theft' comes to mind. I wonder what sony's going to give me to make this right.

Judging from past experience, nothing. Their idea of customer service is tying rabid badgers to your crotch in the hopes of distracting you from your petty game system problems. If you're really, really polite, they may squirt a little lube on you before they bend you over the table.

Judging from past experience, nothing. Their idea of customer service is tying rabid badgers to your crotch in the hopes of distracting you from your petty game system problems. If you're really, really polite, they may squirt a little lube on you before they bend you over the table.

:rolling:

Bet lube isn't even in their budget this year.

Crosses fingers and hopes it's just a maintenance thing. :|

I figured as much. Count me in on the class action then, and in the mean time I might just have to pick out something of theirs I like for myself. I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with that.

at least netflix still works. I'd be really sad if it didn't.

Edited by Reaperman

Things are getting a little out of hand.... it's not really the same thing as what you are describing with PSN, but I ran into a problem the other day when I tried to play Dragon Age on the Xbox360 but it wouldn't boot the game. Why? Because the EA servers were down!! WTF!! I had to disconnect the broadband cable from the Xbox in order to play an offline game offline.

I shot EA a nasty Email.

Mendon

is there psp problems too? i wonder if socom will work...

-edit-

the psp psn works...

this one youtube user said something interesting

"Ok, the issue for now is this: The PS3 thinks this is a leap year. It thinks it's 2/29 and, of course, it's not, so it's spazzing out due to some time/date issue. What they're saying now is that, at approximately 6 PM Central Time, it should automatically fix itself. The keyword there is "SHOULD". No one knows for sure.

Yes, this is bullshit. And this is by far the worst issue i've had to put up with during the entire time i've owned a PS3. *sigh* Oh well. Time to go play Bayonetta on my 360. "

but i dont know about this. its kinda oddly specific, but sounds like he knows something.

Edited by Tr3vor